+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I combine results from more than one language test?

thestunner316

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
syedarsalan said:
PLEASE!
If you don't have any information, excuse rather than just posting based on assumptions.
IELTS Website/Records will always feature your recent test date and results.
Do not misrepresent your application by doing something silly.

If you can score better 1st time, I am sure you can do even better the 3rd time.

See below:
https://www.ielts.org/ielts-for-organisations/processing-and-verifying-ielts-results

+1 if this helped
ummm... that was referring to whom exactly ??

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
thestunner316 said:
ummm... that was referring to whom exactly ??
I would ignore it - it's not relevant.

Everyone knows you can use past test results provided they are still valid. You don't have to use your most recent test results.

thestunner316

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
I would ignore it - it's not relevant.

Everyone knows you can use past test results provided they are still valid. You don't have to use your most recent test results.
+1 for that... its absolute basic common sense :)

syedarsalan

Star Member
Oct 17, 2016
scylla said:
But you can use old test results in your immigration application provided those test results are still valid. You don't have to use your most recent test results.
Dears,

Your EE profile should always be kept most up-to-date if I am not mistaken. So incase you resit, it should be updated in EE.
If you don't in my view it will be misrepresentation. If you get ITA and you send the documents, CIC will be able to see your most recent test and date would be that of prior to ITA.
This may hinder your chances..

Regards

syedarsalan

Star Member
Oct 17, 2016
For fellows who were arguing my stance:-
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/pool.asp

Quote:
You must make sure that the information in your profile stays true and accurate at all times.
If your situation changes (for example, if you start a new career, you get a new language test, get married, or have a new baby), you must update your profile.
UnQuote

Any one who still disagree?

thestunner316

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
syedarsalan said:

Quote:
You must make sure that the information in your profile stays true and accurate at all times.
If your situation changes (for example, if you start a new career, you get a new language test, get married, or have a new baby), you must update your profile.
UnQuote

yes - if you get a new language test becoz your old test expired, then yes - you need to update... otherwise you can use whichever IELTS test is still valid...

if you dont agree with me - fine, you can go ahead and do whatever you feel like, but i wouldnt mislead someone if you are not sure.

syedarsalan

Star Member
Oct 17, 2016
thestunner316 said:
yes - if you get a new language test becoz your old test expired, then yes - you need to update... otherwise you can use whichever IELTS test is still valid...

if you dont agree with me - fine, you can go ahead and do whatever you feel like, but i wouldnt mislead someone if you are not sure.
The text from CIC website, if you read word by word states that "you get a new language test". It does't specify if its a retake due to expiration etc. Thus, going by the book it would be wrong, if the profile is not updated with recent results.

Its better to be safe than sorry. CIC can hold us for not following their crisp guidelines. Its not a grey area if you go by the text.

pfse

Mar 20, 2014
syedarsalan said:

Quote:
UnQuote

Your arguments are completely irrelevant. The quote you posted refers to change in situation. Taking "worse" IELTS test when the last test is still valid doesn't change "the situation".

Let see what IRCC says about "Language Test" :

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/language-testing.asp

Note: Your test results must be valid (less than two years old) when you complete your Express Entry profile, and when you apply for permanent residence.

Nothing about "most recent".

syedarsalan

Star Member
Oct 17, 2016
pfse said:
Your arguments are completely irrelevant. The quote you posted refers to change in situation. Taking "worse" IELTS test when the last test is still valid doesn't change "the situation".

Let see what IRCC says about "Language Test" :

Note: Your test results must be valid (less than two years old) when you complete your Express Entry profile, and when you apply for permanent residence.

Nothing about "most recent".
I think its all about how you want to read it :)

The requirement is clear but because you think its not explicit go with what suits you and hopefully it will work our well for you.

All the best

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
If I may butt in...
What are the language requirements for the Federal Skilled Worker Program?
You must prove your language skills by taking a third-party language test from an agency designated by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC).

When creating your Express Entry profile, you must fill in all the information related to the language test you have taken in English and/or French for your first and second official language.

You also need to make sure that you meet the minimum language threshold in order to be eligible for the program.

Your language test results must be valid (written in the last two years) at all times during the application process. If they expire, you should retake the test and provide us with valid results otherwise your application will be rejected as incomplete or may be refused.
So even if the previous language test scores are higher, if they expire while the application is in then this is saying the application may be rejected. So in theory, unless your tests are only a few months apart, your most recent one might be the best option. But no, after looking, I cannot find anywhere that the previous results cannot be used.

pfse

Mar 20, 2014
syedarsalan said:
I think its all about how you want to read it :)

The requirement is clear but because you think its not explicit go with what suits you and hopefully it will work our well for you.

All the best
As other already mentioned, think whatever you want to think just don't mislead another ppl. It is common known fact that you can use any valid language test and it was this way for edges. You already heard it from ppl who have been on this forum much longer than you and have much more experience with immigration things.

thestunner316

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
i havent read anywhere where it says your language test is only valid for 2 years from the date you took the test, or if you take another test in the attempt to improve your scores, then the latest score would be valid

havent read anything like that anywhere... and i doubt i will either.

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
thestunner316 said:
i havent read anywhere where it says your language test is only valid for 2 years from the date you took the test, or if you take another test in the attempt to improve your scores, then the latest score would be valid

havent read anything like that anywhere... and i doubt i will either.

Dude, it's EVERYWHERE that it's only valid for two years!!!

What happens next
You can use the charts below to see what Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) [in French: Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadiens (NCLC)] level you have based on your test results.
We will use the test results as proof of your language skills.

The profile is valid for 12 months. You should make sure that your language test results are valid for at least the same number of days.

If your test results expire soon, you should re-take the test and update your Express Entry profile with your new test results.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/language.asp
How long language test results are valid for
Your test results must be less than two years old when you submit your application for permanent residence.

If you have been invited to apply, check that your language test results will still be valid when you plan to apply for permanent residence. If you haven’t been invited, you may want to make sure your results are valid for the rest of the time you will be in the pool.

If your results will expire before you can apply, you should:

be tested again,
apply before your test results expire, or
decline the invitation and go back into the pool to be considered in the future.
If you apply for permanent residence with language test results that have expired, we will refuse your application.

You can use your test results to find your CLB level.

pfse

Mar 20, 2014
kryt0n said:
If I may butt in...
So even if the previous language test scores are higher, if they expire while the application is in then this is saying the application may be rejected. So in theory, unless your tests are only a few months apart, your most recent one might be the best option. But no, after looking, I cannot find anywhere that the previous results cannot be used.
This refers to EE profile. Your language test in EE profile should be always valid and it must be valid on "lock-in" date (the date you submitted e-ARP). You may let it expire after that, and you don't need to take another one when your application for PR is in process. But there were few cases in past when CIC requested to retake the exam.

syedarsalan

Star Member
Oct 17, 2016
pfse said:
As other already mentioned, think whatever you want to think just don't mislead another ppl. It is common known fact that you can use any valid language test and it was this way for edges. You already heard it from ppl who have been on this forum much longer than you and have much more experience with immigration things.
I did not give an answer based on experience (after all no one here is a consultant). Based on extract from CiC you are responsible to keep informatiion update on your EE profile. Thats it.

If you FEEL its otherwise because your situation wants you to disbelieve me its perfectly alright. But it will be harsh to call my statement misleading.