+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply to sponsor my British husband while he is a visitor to Canada?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Just to elaborate on the BC MSP situation, as it is one that I dealt with recently when trying to add my partner to my account. For months, I was told completely wrong information from many different MSP agents, until I reached the end of my patience. The MSP staff are VERY under trained on this specific situation. Even when presented with their own rules and regulations about how to handle it, they dismiss it. You will need to push hard to get to a supervisor who knows the rules. If the supervisor doesn't listen, immediately lodge a complaint with the office of the Minister of Health. I emailed a complaint to them; a few hours later, my partner was given coverage. Below is a post of mine from April 29th:

Last month, I sent off the forms to add my partner to my MSP. As per the info on their website about PR applicants, the waiting period was to be waived. Called last week to see if it had been processed and was told it had and that coverage would start June 1st. I kicked off, said the waiting period was supposed to be waived etc. Spoke to a few people over the next few days who seemed to have no idea what they were doing, so I finally flipped out big time, mentioned the word "discrimination" and demanded an immediate callback from a supervisor. I then wrote a 2.5 page complaint letter to the Minister of Health and sent that off while waiting. A few hours later, the MSP supervisor called me, apologizing profusely for the confusion, it's a complicated situation, blah blah, the staff handled it wrong, blah blah. Not only did she waive the waiting period but she asked if he had received any medical care before that, as she would backdate his coverage further to cover that.

If you fit the info here http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/msp/infoben/pdf/covering-a-spouse-or-child-who-is-an-applicant-for-permanent-resident-status-in-canada.pdf and they still try to make you serve the waiting period, HAMMER at them until you get to a supervisor. If they still don't, msg me and I will give you the direct contact details for the supervisor that I dealt with.

Most importantly, apply RIGHT AFTER ARRIVAL, even if you are not yet a PR. This supervisor said that my partner was actually entitled to coverage much earlier, that we should have sent the forms in when he first came to Canada as a PR applicant. When I told her that was the EXACT opposite of what I had been told by other MSP staff, she just started apologizing again.

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
sydneylee said:
Another quick question please

Does my husband have to wait for Medical and Police results to add them to his signed application before sending package back to me OR do they (doctor and police) send directly to CIC Mississauga or London office?

Thank you
British police certificates don't take too long. You apply to the British authorities for one and include it in your application. You're allowed to send the police certificates after you apply, but this will delay your application. It's not worth it in the case of a British one.

He should do the medical before you apply. The doctor sends the results directly to CIC and you include the receipt in your application.

Medical reasons are not grounds for refusing a spousal application, except in cases where public health is an issue (e.g., if he has a contagious disease). Concerns about "excessive demand" - the cost to the health system of caring for him - aren't allowed to be taken into account. Medical concerns only affect the application indirectly, in that they may enter into the evaluation of whether the two of you can support yourselves once in Canada.

sydneylee

Jul 29, 2013
Thank you canuck_in_uk for the personal experience, very encouraging. I can and will make a loud sustained noise when I need to :mad:

And to frege, thank you. We will wait for police certificate and include it with applications. He goes for the medical this week. Happy to know that we don't have to wait for that report, that it goes directly. I thought I had read that but I couldn't find the reference. Receipt will go into application packet.

Thanks to all of you once again. Slept well last night for the first time in many months. A person just needs to know exactly what the procedure is and I appreciate the help I have received here......and I'm sure I'll need more before we're done!

margobear96

Star Member
Dec 21, 2012
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP - Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 15, 2012 (rec'd)
AOR Received.
November 26, 2012
File Transfer...
November 26, 2012
Med's Done....
September 29, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
April 23, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
April 26, 2013 (rec'd May 2, 2013)
LANDED..........
May 4, 2013
canuck_in_uk said:
Just to elaborate on the BC MSP situation, as it is one that I dealt with recently when trying to add my partner to my account. For months, I was told completely wrong information from many different MSP agents, until I reached the end of my patience. The MSP staff are VERY under trained on this specific situation. Even when presented with their own rules and regulations about how to handle it, they dismiss it. You will need to push hard to get to a supervisor who knows the rules. If the supervisor doesn't listen, immediately lodge a complaint with the office of the Minister of Health. I emailed a complaint to them; a few hours later, my partner was given coverage. Below is a post of mine from April 29th:

Last month, I sent off the forms to add my partner to my MSP. As per the info on their website about PR applicants, the waiting period was to be waived. Called last week to see if it had been processed and was told it had and that coverage would start June 1st. I kicked off, said the waiting period was supposed to be waived etc. Spoke to a few people over the next few days who seemed to have no idea what they were doing, so I finally flipped out big time, mentioned the word "discrimination" and demanded an immediate callback from a supervisor. I then wrote a 2.5 page complaint letter to the Minister of Health and sent that off while waiting. A few hours later, the MSP supervisor called me, apologizing profusely for the confusion, it's a complicated situation, blah blah, the staff handled it wrong, blah blah. Not only did she waive the waiting period but she asked if he had received any medical care before that, as she would backdate his coverage further to cover that.

If you fit the info here http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/msp/infoben/pdf/covering-a-spouse-or-child-who-is-an-applicant-for-permanent-resident-status-in-canada.pdf and they still try to make you serve the waiting period, HAMMER at them until you get to a supervisor. If they still don't, msg me and I will give you the direct contact details for the supervisor that I dealt with.

Most importantly, apply RIGHT AFTER ARRIVAL, even if you are not yet a PR. This supervisor said that my partner was actually entitled to coverage much earlier, that we should have sent the forms in when he first came to Canada as a PR applicant. When I told her that was the EXACT opposite of what I had been told by other MSP staff, she just started apologizing again.
Do you have the link from the website where it says the waiting period is waived? I think that would be helpful to OP. According to the pdf article, the waiting period (remainder of month plus 2 months, so closer to 2 months if you arrive at the end of the month) isn't waived. It starts either (1) when the PR application was received or (2) when the fee was paid (which can be a little earlier), assuming the applicant is physically in BC at that time. If applicant arrives after (1) and (2), his wait period starts immediately. So I read that at minimum there is at least a 2 month + 1 day wait period. Anyway, this was my understanding when I applied...but I had no urgent medical expenses that needed to be covered ASAP. Just to note, proof for "when the PR application was received" is a print out of eCAS stating "We received your application for permanent residence on [DATE]" -- some sort of tracking receipt for your PR package isn't adequate. (This was emphasized by my lawyer.)

Also, medical needs to be done before application is sent, but try to time it right before you're ready to send it off. The medical is good for 1 year. Though it can be extended, that's at CIC discretion. Police certificates don't need to be in the initial package. Though it's better if it goes all in one package, don't hold up the rest of your application for it. I sent mine in later. Just stated in a cover letter with the application that police certificates would be forwarded once received. (Send it in once you get the acknowledgement of receipt. Make sure to note the UCI and File number so they get matched up with the rest of your file. After a few weeks follow up with CIC to make sure it was received and matched up with your file.)

Once you've filed, check eCAS at least once a week and check that the addresses they have are still correct. (Advice from lawyer.) My addresses were okay, but spelling of my first name suddenly changed after it was correct initially.

G.L.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
margobear96 said:
Do you have the link from the website where it says the waiting period is waived? I think that would be helpful to OP. According to the pdf article, the waiting period (remainder of month plus 2 months, so closer to 2 months if you arrive at the end of the month) isn't waived.
The waiting period cannot be waived. My partner's waiting period was to be waived because I added him to my MSP 8 months after we applied for his PR, so he had already served more than the 2 months + balance required by that publication.