+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply SOWP for my spouse if his nationality is different from mine?

Waffle1126

Dec 13, 2021
I am a Hong Kong citizen and I hold a HKSAR passport. I recently got married and my spouse holds a Pakistani passport. We are planning to apply for *Public policy: Open work permits for Hong Kong recent graduates.*

My question is 1) can he get SOWP from my application even if we are from different nationalities?

2) is there a minimum requirement of time on how long a couple should be married before they can apply for such schemes?

ahm756

Mar 24, 2020
Toronto
I am a Hong Kong citizen and I hold a HKSAR passport. I recently got married and my spouse holds a Pakistani passport. We are planning to apply for *Public policy: Open work permits for Hong Kong recent graduates.*

My question is 1) can he get SOWP from my application even if we are from different nationalities?

2) is there a minimum requirement of time on how long a couple should be married before they can apply for such schemes?
1. Not sure about this one, but if he can't apply with you, then the second option is for him to wait until you get your open work permit and then he can apply for SOWP.
2. No, but if IRCC suspects that the relationship isn't genuine, they will ask for additional supporting documents such as pictures from your marriage and before that, proof of joint bank account, chat logs, etc. I suggest you prepare these documents in advance just in case IRCC asks for them.

Reactions: Waffle1126

Waffle1126

Dec 13, 2021
1. Not sure about this one, but if he can't apply with you, then the second option is for him to wait until you get your open work permit and then he can apply for SOWP.
2. No, but if IRCC suspects that the relationship isn't genuine, they will ask for additional supporting documents such as pictures from your marriage and before that, proof of joint bank account, chat logs, etc. I suggest you prepare these documents in advance just in case IRCC asks for them.
Thank you so much for the help! :)

Reactions: ahm756