+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

can anybody on a visiter record from usa apply for canadian driver license

UsCa

Star Member
Jul 18, 2012
I am going to visit my spouse to canada and I dont have a driver license here in US
can I apply for one in canada as I would be there on a visit.. i mean us to canada (visitor record)?
please suggest

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
Driver's licensing in Canada falls is regulated "provincially". What province will you be visiting? In any event, here's an excerpt from Ontario's Ministry of Transportation website:

"If you are a visitor to Ontario and want to drive while you are here, you must be at least 16 years old and have a valid driver's licence from your own province, state or country. If you are from another country and visiting Ontario for more than three months, you need an International Driver's Permit from your own country or you may have to apply for an Ontario driver's licence, depending on your length of stay."

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
UsCa said:
I am going to visit my spouse to canada and I dont have a driver license here in US
can I apply for one in canada as I would be there on a visit?
please suggest
Depends on the province (e.g., in Ontario, yes; I believe in Quebec, not until you are a PR). In fact, Ontario, for example, requires you to get an Ontario DL if you are going to be there over 60 days.

Do you have a DL anywhere else in the World? If so, it would help if you take proof of it and a copy of your record. If you share some more info we can help you with specifics. Also, look up the Ministry of Transportation of the province you'll be in.

UsCa

Star Member
Jul 18, 2012
thank you so much for your replies

I have Indian driver license
and I will be visiting Ontario

is anything asked on the form about the status in canada ?
i mean my husband is sponsoring me and I am going to visit him. i know that on visitor record i cannot work, cannot go to school. but can go and apply for a driver license ?
i asked my husband ..he said i cannot
that is why i joined this forum to have few suggestions

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
UsCa said:
thank you so much for your replies

I have Indian driver license
and I will be visiting Ontario

is anything asked on the form about the status in canada ?
i mean my husband is sponsoring me and I am going to visit him. i know that on visitor record i cannot work, cannot go to school. but can go and apply for a driver license ?
Ontario has a 3-tiered drivers system: G1 -> G2 -> G. Each step has it's own rules and restrictions.

Given that you have an out-of-country driver's license you can take some shortcuts if you can get documentation to prove your driving history. Let me describe the general system first:

- You start off with a written exam (multiple-choice off of the driver's handbook) and once you pass you become a G1 driver. - As a G1 driver you have several restrictions, including the fact that you must have a full-G driver with 4 years of driving experience in the car with you and you are restricted to certain roads and how many people you can have in the car.
- Then after a year you can take a driving test to get a G2 license. At this point you can drive alone, but only on certain roads and with a given number of people in the car (unless you have a driving instructor in the car with you).
- After a year as a G2 driver you can take another driver's test that includes a highway portion.
- Passing that G2 exit exam turns you into a full G driver who can drive on all roads by herself.

You can skip the waiting periods between the steps AND skip the G1 exit test once if you prove you have over 2 years of driving experience abroad. The detailed instructions on how to do this are on the the Drive Test instructions page for out-of-country drivers. It is essential that you show your translated experience letter from the Indian licensing authority (or from the Embassy) upfront since you have one shot to go through this accelerated process. As you can see from my description of the normal process there's a strong incentive to get your experience letter :)

BTW, you may drive for 60 days on an international driver's license. But if you'll be visiting your husband longer than that you'll need to get an Ontario driver's license so I'm glad you asked this question :)

Tullysgirl

May 23, 2012
Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-09-2012
Doc's Request.
07-03-2013
AOR Received.
25-10-2012
Med's Done....
30-07-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2013
LANDED..........
21-07-2013
Would getting a driver's license (SK) conflict with an Outland Spousal Sponsorship app??

simb

Apr 15, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Tullysgirl said:
Would getting a driver's license (SK) conflict with an Outland Spousal Sponsorship app??
i dont think so. spousal sponsorship has nothing to do with a DL but as per Quebec requirements (I am shocked) you need to be PR to have a DL
I know about Ontario but not about SK
may be OhCanadiana can suggest you about SK rules
but as you are american and you must be having a american DL. you should be good to drive there

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Tullysgirl said:
Can you clarify your question? If you are asking if there's any reason why not to get one, I can't think of any ... you're already physically present in Canada establishing ties and most provinces have limits on how long you can drive without getting a provincial DL if you are in the province for an extended period of time.

simb said:
i dont think so. spousal sponsorship has nothing to do with a DL but as per Quebec requirements (I am shocked) you need to be PR to have a DL
I know about Ontario but not about SK
may be OhCanadiana can suggest you about SK rules
but as you are american and you must be having a american DL. you should be good to drive there
The rules are on the SGI website and depend on the individual circumstances.

From a quick look at this page on the SGI website, it looks like visitors can get a DL for the duration of their legal stay in Canada

"Entitled to be in Canada

To prove you are legally entitled to be in Canada, you must provide 1 of the following documents:

Canadian Birth certificate
Canadian Citizenship and Immigration Canada documentation

If you're only temporarily authorized to be in Canada, your Saskatchewan driver's licence will expire when your Citizenship and Immigration Canada documentation expires."

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
simb said:
You don't! We are only now just approaching end of Stage 1 for PR application and applicant has Quebec DL. Mind you, there is/was a requirement to have a Quebec Health card.

simb

Apr 15, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Mississauga
i just said what OhCanadiana said and wrote this one as well I am shocked reading that
"Depends on the province (e.g., in Ontario, yes; I believe in Quebec, not until you are a PR)."
truesmile said:
You don't! We are only now just approaching end of Stage 1 for PR application and applicant has Quebec DL. Mind you, there is/was a requirement to have a Quebec Health card.

Tullysgirl

May 23, 2012
Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-09-2012
Doc's Request.
07-03-2013
AOR Received.
25-10-2012
Med's Done....
30-07-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2013
LANDED..........
21-07-2013
OhCanadiana said:
Can you clarify your question? If you are asking if there's any reason why not to get one, I can't think of any ... you're already physically present in Canada establishing ties and most provinces have limits on how long you can drive without getting a provincial DL if you are in the province for an extended period of time.

The rules are on the SGI website and depend on the individual circumstances.

From a quick look at this page on the SGI website, it looks like visitors can get a DL for the duration of their legal stay in Canada

"Entitled to be in Canada

To prove you are legally entitled to be in Canada, you must provide 1 of the following documents:

Canadian Birth certificate
Canadian Citizenship and Immigration Canada documentation

If you're only temporarily authorized to be in Canada, your Saskatchewan driver's licence will expire when your Citizenship and Immigration Canada documentation expires."

I guess I'm confused all the way around! LOL

Uh...never mind? ::) I thought that because I'm going to be applying for Outland Spousal Sponsorship, I'm not a resident, I'm a visitor. Therefore making "ties" may hinder that process (versus applying Inland) because in my mind, I'm still an "outlander" here as a visitor. IDK if that makes sense. But, now, looking at it, it's all about showing proof that I AM establishing ties (joint bank accts/on utility bills) beings we're now married. Right?

...In SK, the SGI office said I have 3 months before I needed to get "licensed"-meaning me and my vehicle. But it confuses me, because while I'm here under a visitor record, aren't I considered a "visitor" and/then why would I be forced to get a provencial DL?

Ish. I sound dense. ???

misskay

Star Member
Dec 21, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Apr 8th
AOR Received.
Jul 11th
File Transfer...
Jul 31st
Med's Done....
Feb 20th
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Aug 31st
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 9th
LANDED..........
Oct 12th
Curious about this also.

I've lived in Alberta for the past two years on a temporary visa (work permit), which is due to expire in August. I hold an Alberta licence, which is due to expire in September.

If my status changes from temporary resident to visitor, can I still renew my Alberta licence and continue driving here? Does anybody know?

Guess I'll find out soon enough & report back.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AmericaninQuebec researched this and reported back a while back that since apparently insurance is tied to the DL they won't allow visitors to get them (unlike other provinces like Ontario, for example, where visitors can get them). She had to wait until she landed. Of course, I would expect that other residents (e.g., folks on work permits) can also get them but am not sure of the specific requirements.

truesmile said:
Can a visitor get a Quebec Health card? If not, for all intents and purposes if the OP were going to Quebec she would need to wait until she is a PR. Remember, the answer was given to a specific question to illustrate why the province matters.