05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
OhCanadiana said:
Well, this is your lucky day because I think I can clear it up for you and save you some cash for a bit ;)

1. Your husband can drive your car or your parents' car or his own car in Ontario. IIRC, he is visiting you, not on a work permit or something else that makes him a resident of Ontario. Therefore, get him an International Driving Permit and you're done. You should be able to do it via mail with AAA (instructions here) ($15 plus shipping fees).
Code:
"If you are a visitor to Ontario and want to drive while you are here, you must be at least 16 years old and have a valid driver's licence from your own province, state or country. If you are from another country and visiting Ontario for more than three months, you need an International Driver's Permit from your own country."
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/handbook/section1.1.0.shtml
2. A Canadian resident should NOT drive a foreign-plated car (unless they rented a car from a commercial agency in the US, have permission from the rental agency, and rent it for max 30 days -> this exception is relatively new). So, if you are a resident of Ontario and not just visiting Ontario you shouldn't drive his car unless it's an emergency or you guys are taking goods in to Canada in his car in the most direct path from the border to your house. Ditto for your parents.

[the sources are long so I'm putting them at the end of the post for clarity]

3. Once he gets his PR card, when he lands he should simultaneously import his car (on his B4). For this, you will need permission from the title-holder to export the car from the US. That way he won't be a Canadian resident driving a non-Canadian car.

4. He's going to need a Canadian driver's license (DL) to register the car, so you may want to get the DL shortly before landing so that you save that step. Depending on what US state his US DL is issued by, he may need a driving record.

Ta-da. Questions?

Sources for components of #2:

Tourists can temporarily import cars, per D19-12-1
Code:
"RIV Program Exemptions
49. Vehicles are exempt from complying with the CMVSS
at the point of entry into Canada if they are imported under
one of the following conditions:
(a) the vehicles are 15 years old or older, or are buses
manufactured before January 1, 1971; the importer
must be able to demonstrate the age of the vehicle;
(b) the vehicles are entering temporarily with:
(1) visitors, for a period not exceeding 12 months;
temporary residents such as students studying at an
institution of learning, for the duration of their
studies in Canada; or individuals with valid work
permits/authorizations for employment for a period
not exceeding 36 months;"
D2-4-1's covers residents of Canada's use of non-Canadian plated cars:
Code:
"GUIDELINES AND
GENERAL INFORMATION

Residents of Canada
1. Residents of Canada may operate conveyances on
which duties have not been paid in Canada only in
accordance with the terms and conditions of tariff item
No. 9802.00.00 and the regulations made pursuant thereto.
Purpose of Importation
2. Conveyances imported temporarily under these
Regulations are admissible for personal transportation only
from the point of arrival to a specified destination in Canada
and return within 30 days, when the purpose of importation
is to transport personally owned goods into or out of
Canada.
3. Similarly, customs inspectors may permit importation
in instances where a resident is required, due to unforeseen
circumstances or emergency reasons, to utilize a
conveyance on which duties have not been paid for personal
transportation to reach a specified destination in Canada and
return.
4. Under no circumstances are conveyances admissible
under these Regulations for touring purposes or for other
leisure activities in Canada, nor is any local use permitted
(e.g., point to point movement in Canada).
5. Customs inspectors will grant free importation of a
conveyance under these Regulations only when satisfied
that the applicable conditions have been met."
...unless it's a rental and certain conditions are met

"
Code:
Exception — temporary importation

(1.1) Sections 5 and 6 do not apply to a resident of Canada who imports a vehicle that is licensed in the United States if the vehicle is rented in the United States from a vehicle rental business and is being imported into Canada for non-commercial purposes.

Importer to remove vehicle from Canada

(1.2) A resident of Canada who imports a vehicle under subsection (1.1) shall remove the vehicle from Canada within a period of 30 days, or any other prescribed period, beginning on the day on which the vehicle is imported.

Rental business to remove vehicle from Canada

(1.3) If, within the period referred to in subsection (1.2), the resident of Canada delivers the vehicle to a vehicle rental business in Canada with the consent of the business, then the vehicle rental business shall remove the vehicle from Canada before the end of that period."
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/M-10.01/page-3.html
and

Code:
" Canadian residents may, as of June 1, 2012, bring U.S. rental vehicles into Canada for non-commercial use for 30 days or less. This will not affect the safety of Canadian road users, because Canadian and American vehicle standards are similar, and the vehicles will be in Canada for short periods of time.

While these changes to the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (MVSA) will allow one-way and two way trips, residents of Canada may only deliver a vehicle to a vehicle rental business for a one-way trip, with the consent of the business. 

Visitors to Canada may continue to bring rental vehicles from the United States into Canada. "
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/safevehicles-rental-usa-1302.htm

Yikes. This isn't good lol. I already knew we were going to have to pay off the loan and get the title before importing it, but me driving the car was almost always for work since I'm a supply EA and don't have my own car. Frick and frack! Maybe I'll have to have him drive me :( Well that SUCKS!

Thanks for the information OhCanadiana! I'll have him apply for that and go be sad I can't drive his car lol.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
Sorry to double post, but question. Would it just be worth it to get the DL now instead of waiting until he lands? I was just curious about that. Because by the sounds of it, either way he's going to need to get the ODL so I figured it would be better to get it now instead of paying for the IDP AND the DL. Just curious. And. If he gets his DL does this mean he cannot drive his car?

I have a feeling I'll be making a trip to my MP to find out haha

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
parker24 said:
Yikes. This isn't good lol. I already knew we were going to have to pay off the loan and get the title before importing it, but me driving the car was almost always for work since I'm a supply EA and don't have my own car. Frick and frack! Maybe I'll have to have him drive me :( Well that SUCKS!

Thanks for the information OhCanadiana! I'll have him apply for that and go be sad I can't drive his car lol.
Wait, wait ... does that mean we can celebrate no more cast and renewed parker24 mobility?!?!?

(and what's an EA?)

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
parker24 said:
Sorry to double post, but question. Would it just be worth it to get the DL now instead of waiting until he lands? I was just curious about that. Because by the sounds of it, either way he's going to need to get the ODL so I figured it would be better to get it now instead of paying for the IDP AND the DL. Just curious. And. If he gets his DL does this mean he cannot drive his car?

I have a feeling I'll be making a trip to my MP to find out haha
I'd be more concerned with the US loan and title implications since DriveTest cancels (and keeps) your US driver's license when you transfer it over from the US with a reciprocity agreement.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
OhCanadiana said:
I'd be more concerned with the US loan and title implications since DriveTest cancels (and keeps) your US driver's license when you transfer it over from the US with a reciprocity agreement.
YIKES. Okay you anwsered that question haha.

As for the mobility, I'm getting there! haha. I'm walking around with a cane and boot cast, it's still somewhat painful but slow and steady! :) And EA is Educational Assistant. Or as hubby and in-laws call it down in the US, Teacher's Aide haha.

Tullysgirl

May 23, 2012
Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-09-2012
Doc's Request.
07-03-2013
AOR Received.
25-10-2012
Med's Done....
30-07-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2013
LANDED..........
21-07-2013
OhCanadiana said:
A quick search makes it seem like it's your lucky day too :) The quote I found from a quick search seems similar (but no IDP needed apparently). Of course, Transport Canada and CBSA regulations apply Canada-wide.

Code:
"If you are a visitor to Saskatchewan, your regular licence gives you all of the same privileges it does in your home province or state. As a visitor to Saskatchewan, you are not required to exchange your licence or register your vehicle in this province unless you become a resident. Should you require a Saskatchewan licence, you may need to be re-tested before a Saskatchewan licence is granted, but it will depend upon the class of licence you held in the other jurisdiction. Check with your nearest motor licence issuer.

Students attending approved educational institutions, as well as their immediate families, do not have to exchange their driver's licence during the time they are living here to attend classes.

If you become a Saskatchewan resident you may drive using your current driver's licence and vehicle plates for 90 days after taking up residence."
http://www.sgi.sk.ca/individuals/licensing/studyguides/drivershandbook/licenceprogram/driverlicence.html
WOHOO! Thank YOU! That's awesome because the gal at the local SGI was telling me I had 90 days. I neglected to tell her that I was only a visitor and not a resident (yet). That means I'll have to keep my tabs up to date from the States as well.... grrr....

goodman36

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't think you can get a Driver's License if you are in visitor's visa in Ontario. Please check on the following link:

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/drvlicen.shtml

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
goodman36 said:
I don't think you can get a Driver's License if you are in visitor's visa in Ontario. Please check on the following link:

Your link had a link to what OhCanadiana was saying...

wt1

Jul 23, 2010
goodman36 said:

Hi, Goodman36.

The link you cited is the general MTO site for driver's license.

As far as I know, you definitely can get a driver's license in Ontario (and in some cases it may make sense to do it), but there is no requirement to do it. As the ongoing conversation between OhCanadiana and Parker24 shows, given the how quickly one can exchange a US state license for an Ontario license, there is no real benefit to doing it early and some potential pitfalls depending the circumstances. It's the difference between can do and have to do; should do depends greatly on one's circumstances.

goodman36

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
wt1 said:
Hi, Goodman36.

The link you cited is the general MTO site for driver's license.

As far as I know, you definitely can get a driver's license in Ontario (and in some cases it may make sense to do it), but there is no requirement to do it. As the ongoing conversation between OhCanadiana and Parker24 shows, given the how quickly one can exchange a US state license for an Ontario license, there is no real benefit to doing it early and some potential pitfalls depending the circumstances. It's the difference between can do and have to do; should do depends greatly on one's circumstances.
Usca (the author of this thread) did mention that he DOES NOT have a Driver's License from US. So, he can't exchange anything. So, I am not sure if he can. But, I would be glad if he does :)

UsCa

Star Member
Jul 18, 2012
well. I never thought this topic would have so much discussion

and yes i dont have US dl. so nothing to exchange in return.
but i guess being on visitor record i can go into ontario's dmv and apply for ontario dl...(as most of the people here are saying) is it correct ???

and as far i know and i have read US dl can be exchanged into Ontario dl as G2 and then you still have to appear for G
do you think its fair ?

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
UsCa said:
well. I never thought this topic would have so much discussion

and yes i dont have US dl. so nothing to exchange in return.
but i guess being on visitor record i can go into ontario's dmv and apply for ontario dl...(as most of the people here are saying) is it correct ???

and as far i know and i have read US dl can be exchanged into Ontario dl as G2 and then you still have to appear for G
do you think its fair ?
If you have a US DL with 2 or more years of driving experience you can exchange your US license for a Canadian G license (if it's less than 2 years, you'll get G1 or G2 license). See here. The US and Canada share driver databases so for most states you don't need to take your experience letter. However, they will cancel your US driver's license when they do this (so folks need to be careful planning out the timing and sorting out implications). Details here.

Since you have an Indian DL, you can get the experience honored but have to take a written exam and driving exam (since rules can be different). However, you get to keep your foreign DL when you do this so you won't have trouble when you go back home. Details here.

Win some, lose some.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
parker24 said:
As for the mobility, I'm getting there! haha. I'm walking around with a cane and boot cast, it's still somewhat painful but slow and steady! :) And EA is Educational Assistant. Or as hubby and in-laws call it down in the US, Teacher's Aide haha.
Yay! Congrats - great news :)