+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Brought forward date: Is it always set to 90 days later each time?

Emmy

Star Member
Jun 27, 2008
I keep reading in the forums that when they're waiting on something, they put a 90 day hold on an application. Is this always the case? Is it definitely 90 days or just opinion?

London have been processing my application for 6 months now, so I emailed London using the CIC website last week, and we also we got our MP to make an enquiry for us. The MP's office found out that the brought forward date was April 22nd (yesterday), and that they were waiting on a background check and had everything else they needed. So we were hoping that the background check had come through and that the application processing would continue when they looked at the application yesterday.

But, yesterday I got a response to my email (I guess the timing isn't coincidence since that was the brought forward date), telling me what the MP's office had already found out. That they were waiting on the results of a background check. I replied to the email and asked if that meant that the background check hadn't come through, and whether they had put another 90 day hold on my application.

I got a vague response today saying that the application will be reviewed once the background check is complete.

Well, okay, I knew that anyway. Obviously they can't proceed without the background check. But what I was really after from them was a sense of the timing. In particular, whether the new brought forward date will be 90 days from now. That's three months.

I've got a month to month lease on a flat I need to renew as soon as possible each month, and my landlord regularly asks if I'll be staying or going as other people are interested in it. My current employer knows I'll be leaving once the visa comes through, so I need to keep them updated on what's happening. So if it's definitely going to be another 3 months minimum I can at least let these people know that. Not to mention, that my medical expires in 3 and a half months, so at least I'll know I'll definitely have to redo that. And I guess they'll probably want new police certificates too.

Our MP is going to try and find out more on Monday, but I'm interested to know whether the 90 day's regularly mentioned on this forum is a hard and fast, known rule, or whether it's just opinion. I'd like to take their response literally and hope that if the background check comes through soon, they'll then review my application soon after, and not wait 90 days regardless.

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
It's really hard to know for sure - some offices seem to use "bring forward dates", others don't. And of those that do, it's just as inconsistent in terms of how long a BF date is set for, and whether or not they actually wait that long before picking up a file. For example, our visa office requested additional documents from us - which I sent to them within a couple of weeks. But since they had given us 90 days to get the info to them, I assumed they weren't going to even pick up the file for 90 days to see if the info had been received. When I got my CAIPS notes months later I discovered that immediately after receiving our information they had transferred the file on for further processing. So, in our case, a BF date either wasn't used, or they didn't adhere to the timeline. But I've seen plenty of other cases where people's files have sat for an entire 90 days (or however long) before anyone picked it up again to find out that requested info had been received almost immediately. I really think it depends on what type of info they're waiting for, and from whom - and how busy that particular visa office happens to be.

Background checks are a huge variable because each person's "background" is different - and CSIS has to interface with all kinds of different agencies in any number of countries, etc. Your background check might take 4 days while mine might take 4 months . . . just based on the number of inquiries that have to be made and the level of cooperation between the agencies . . . so I think they probably try to allow a reasonable amount of time, based on experience, for background checks to be completed - and then they check to see if they've received them. In your case, having heard from them the very day your case was supposed to be BFd may or may not be a coincidence . . . but I wouldn't assume that they haven't received your background checks back just because someone couldn't tell you yesterday that they had. It's very possible that whomever responded to your email didn't even know it was your BF date, and that someone else has just pulled the file and is determining whether or not they've gotten what they need. You really need to depend more on the overall processing timelines for your processing office as a guide, rather than focusing on the fact that your case had a 90 day BF date. You don't say how long ago London got your file, but anywhere between 2 and 7 months is normal for processing through that office. In most cases visa offices try really hard to stay within their posted parameters.

Hope that helps some.

Emmy

Star Member
Jun 27, 2008
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I think I just got 90 days stuck in my head for some reason (probably after reading your response a little while ago about whether to include the medical up front or not). So I was hoping that was just an example number you were using, and not some hard and fast rule they stick to. Our MP will get an update for us on Monday, so hopefully she gets a clearer idea of whether they did get what they needed, or at least find out a new brought forward date.

We also ordered our CAIPS notes a month ago, but it hasn't arrived yet, so maybe that will give us some clue, although I guess we already know what the hold up is.

I've been reading up on various forums about background checks, and you're right, it does seem to vary from individual to individual depending on their background and where they've lived for more than six months. In my case, I was born in Australia and lived there until moving to London almost 4 years ago. So I would have thought there'd be no issues with CSIS getting co-operation from Australia and the UK. My parents however, were born in Jordan, so not sure if my middle eastern heritage would be slowing things down, even though I've never lived in the middle east, and have only visited family there on one occasion.

Oh, and London have been processing our application for 6 months (8 months in total since Mississauga received it). So we're getting towards the end of the posted timelines. They'd never contacted us before asking for any documents, an interview or anything else. So I'm assuming (dangerous I know!), that they're happy the relationship is genuine and will hopefully issue a passport request once the background check is done.

yasi

Mar 23, 2009
Well Emmy how are u doing?

i have read your detailed notes here and same is my situation here m from pakistan here in london last 2 years and file processing time is 8 months in total and 7 months even in london.

talking about background checks which i have done already.
A guy from CIC went to my home and spoke with my dad and my brother a told he is here to check the back ground. He was having my whole file and everything and he even took some money from my parents saying tht i ll process your son file faster .
This was happend 3 months ago but after that i have no responce so my wife contacted to the MP and they said everything is ok and may be they will call me for interview in london.
But still there is not any kind of Shit from CIC.

I ll suggest you wait at least 3 months after chcks and pray .

Most ppl says the security checks are required after interview but in my and your case security checks are taking place earlier?
Wot is means is the interview has been waived?

Thx
Bye

Emmy

Star Member
Jun 27, 2008
Well, I'm hoping the interview has been waived, but I guess I shouldn't really assume that until I know for sure. Once our CAIPS notes arrive, I think there's a code they use to indicate whether the interview has been waived or not. In my case, I'm hoping that since they've said they're only waiting on a background check and that they don't need anything else from me, that they won't require an interview. I also read on another forum that they normally do the background check after you've gone past the interview stage. But like this forum, it's just people giving their honest opinions and personal experiences, so it's not necessarily correct or the same with everyone. I guess I'll have to wait and see.

I'm just a bit worried at the moment as my medical will expire in under 4 months. So if they don't make a decision soon, I'll most likely have to go through all that again with a new medical and probably police checks too.

Well, I hope we all get some good news soon. It seems a bit strange to me that they visited your family like that and asked for money as well. I haven't heard of that happening before.

rorita_76

Feb 11, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
July-3-2009
hey there,
i have the same question here.
they have sent me an email and asked for additional document, like FBI clearance since I lived in the USA for more than 6 month, to pay the PRF, and to my husband to get a lease on an apprtment or something like this to show them that we are going to re-establish in canada as soon as I get the PR.
they give us 90 days to send all these, by saying this, do you think even if you manage to send them all these document in on month, they won't work on my file until the end of 90 days?? God i will kill myself if so, I am waiting since lonnnng time

MARLENA

Mar 24, 2009
Rorita for the first time you make me laugh when you wrote I'll kill myself. I think i need to seek a professional help. After reading all this I'll be waiting forever to be with my husband.

Emmy

Star Member
Jun 27, 2008
Well Rorita, I guess that's the question we're debating. It's hard to know for sure without seeing your CAIPS notes which might have a brought forward date on it. And, as RobsLuv said, it might not necessarily mean they'll wait until that before date. Well, that's what I'm hoping at least. With my medical running out in a few months, I'm hoping the background check is completed soon and they'll continue processing my application promptly when it does and not wait a prescribed period, whether 30 days or 90 days or whatever it is they decide, before they even look at my file again.

rorita_76

Feb 11, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
July-3-2009
Well Marlena, it is true, i will kill myself if that happens, i gotten sick of all this situation, it is a living nightmare since 9 month, and over all that wait for august to open my file again, well by then i will be a resident in the Deir Al Salib, it is a place in lebanon where people suffering from brain problem and depression go...:)
Emmy , can you please explain to me what is brought forward date?
in my opinion, I guess, hope I am right, the 90 day period is for us to get everything ready, I heard that in some country, the police clearance take 2 month..so I don't know
The " I don't know" sentence is killing me, I wish there is a specific site , made by immigration, where you can post a question, and get the right and exact answer...I wishh

Emmy

Star Member
Jun 27, 2008
As far as I'm aware, the brought forward date is a date they set indicating when they'll next bring out your application and continue working on it. In our case, when the MP's office called to find out the status of our application, they were told that the brought forward date was April 22nd (Wednesday this week). So we knew they would be looking at my application on Wednesday. We were also told that they were waiting on the background check to be completed. So I guess if the background check hasn't been completed, they would have set a new brought forward date to look at the file again. But obviously I'm hoping that if the background check is completed before the new date, they'll look at the file earlier and hopefully make a decision.

MARLENA

Mar 24, 2009
Rorita, I know you must going through a lot but be strong, I'm sure you are going to hear something very soon. Nshallah ya rab, I can't believe how long you've been waiting and how difficult it must be on you and your husband especially after living with husband for 6 months. In my opinion they should grant an immediate PR when they live together more than 6 months.

rorita_76

Feb 11, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
July-3-2009
Well Marlena, in that case they should grant me a PR + because I lived 9 month with my husband...:)
It is very hard on me and my husband, and on me more because living in a small society like Lebanon, everyone interfere with everyone issues, has almost drive me crazy, there was a very slim distance between me and a nervous breakdown, now I am better, I am trying to be more American and be optimistic, and not being typically Lebanese and being pessimistic.
I am still thinking about the 90 days period, I guess to be logic, if they receive what they need before that period end, they will start re-working on the file.
I read some timeline for people here and there, where they mention that there application was late by 1 month or 2 because they have asked for new document.
After all each case is different, each office is different, each officer is different...the rule is that no general rules.

yasi

Mar 23, 2009
Hey u all right EMMY

well did u applied for CAIPS notes or u its still need to be done?
i just applied for caips from www.caips.ca and according to them it will take 5 to 6 weeks.

And my back ground checks are done so wot do u think wot are the possibilities about interview?

Cheers
bye

Emmy

Star Member
Jun 27, 2008
We ordered CAIPS notes 4 weeks ago, but they haven't arrived yet. But I found out today from the MP that the background check has been completed and my PR application was approved on Thursday and they've sent me a passport request. So I don't need them anymore.

I'm not sure about your case though, Yasi. Hopefully your CAIPS notes will give you some clues. It should show if the interview has been waived though.