+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Brother Sponsorship

ALTN

Star Member
May 16, 2016
I'm 30 years old, and if relevant both my parents are alive but do not want to immigrate to Canada. My brother has been a PR in Quebec for about a year now, after almost exhausting his savings and receiving government financial help for only 2 or 3 months he finally started working a couple months ago but with low income: about 2k/month gross salary.

After reading resources at cic website about family sponsorship requirements, I see there are 2 requirements my brother needs to meet in order for him to qualify as "other relative" sponsor:

1- He needs to move out of Quebec, since from my understanding Quebec laws do not allow the sponsorship of a brother above the age of 18 under any circumstances. It seems however other provinces tolerate any relative sponsorship, if the sponsor is not married, doesn't have children, did not sponsor anybody in the past and doesn't have other relatives living in Canada. So if my brother moves to another province, do I become eligible for family sponsorship? I'm single and have no children, and my brother (the potential sponsor) meets all the afore mentioned requirements.

2- The sponsor (my brother) must be making at least 30k/year to qualify as an eligible sponsor for 1 person. My brother current income doesn't meet the requirement, however I'm running an online business and about to launch a crowdfunding campaign for a new tech project soon, and was thinking to link all my income to my brother's bank account in Canada, in order for him to reach the sponsorship minimum required income, does this violate any rules?... if relevant, funds raised through the crowdfunding campaign I'm about to launch and link to my brother's bank account, may come from any country, Canada or outside Canada. Also, by no means should this make the campaign sound fraudulent, my brother, who's also in the tech industry, will be a partner in the publicly funded project.

Any help/insights are appreciated.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Unfortunately it's not possible for your brother to sponsor you through the Family Sponsorship stream. The province is not relevant - the answer is still the same. You will have to qualify to immigrate on your own. There are some programs that may give you points for having family in Canada - however ultimately you will still have to qualify on your own.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

ALTN

Star Member
May 16, 2016
Well it states : you do not have a spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner, or one of the following living relatives you could sponsor instead.

My brother cannot sponsor any of my parents, because they do not want to immigrate.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Unfortunately, it doesn't matter that they don't want to immigrate, the fact is that they are alive and could be sponsored to immigrate.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
ALTN said:
Well it states : you do not have a spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner, or one of the following living relatives you could sponsor instead.

My brother cannot sponsor any of my parents, because they do not want to immigrate.
It doesn't matter if they want to immigrate or not - this is irrelevant. The fact they are alive and can be sponsored prevents you from being sponsored by your brother.

ALTN

Star Member
May 16, 2016
So following the same logic if a PR has only 2 brothers as family members both above age, none of them could be sponsored because the other one could be sponsored instead. But having only 2 cousins as family members, both above age, any of both could be sponsored... makes absolutely no sense

I guess I'll take your word on it though, thanks a lot Buletruck and scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
ALTN said:
So following the same logic if a PR has only 2 brothers as family members both above age, none of them could be sponsored because the other one could be sponsored instead. But having only 2 cousins as family members, both above age, any of both could be sponsored... makes absolutely no sense

I guess I'll take your word on it though, thanks a lot Buletruck and scylla
Nope.

If the PR has two brothers and no other family in Canada and neither of his parents are still alive - then he can sponsor ONE of his brothers. This is referred to casually as the lonely Canadian rule. He cannot sponsor his second brother. However in your case this doesn't apply because your parents are still alive and they take priority - so only they can be sponsored.

I know this isn't the answer you want to hear. But that's how it works.

ALTN

Star Member
May 16, 2016
scylla, I trust your response, regardless of whether it is what I want to hear, thanks!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
ALTN said:
The reason is because there's already an existing immigration stream in place specifically for parents/grandparents. So if they are alive, they take precedent over any other family member for which there is no regular immigration stream available.

M

mikeymyke

You should try to immigrate on your own through a skilled worker stream. Lots of people do this, and it allows them to get PR in a very short time. Also their spouses and children would all get PR at the same time as well.

ALTN

Star Member
May 16, 2016
The reason is because there's already an existing immigration stream in place specifically for parents/grandparents. So if they are alive, they take precedent over any other family member for which there is no regular immigration stream available.
Thanks for the clarification. The policy still doesn't make much sense though. Whether the parents (and grand parents) are dead or just don't want to immigrate, doesn't change much from the fact that the sponsor remains alone in Canada, so the "lonely Canadian rule" as referred to earlier by scylla, doesn't quite serve its purpose effectively. By the way I'm just curious, how do you prove to cic the death of your parents and grand parents? do you have to submit 6 death certificates, one for each?

You should try to immigrate on your own through a skilled worker stream. Lots of people do this, and it allows them to get PR in a very short time. Also their spouses and children would all get PR at the same time as well.
Thanks for the suggestion, but my score estimated by CRS doesn't reach the ever growing minimum thresholds of the selection pools, and now with the victory of Trump and the news of cic crashing yesterday due to the flood of americans seeking immigration to Canada, the minimum scores will go even higher. I dug into Express Entry before considering the sponsorship route, Express Entry is just hopeless for me.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
ALTN said:
Thanks for the clarification. The policy still doesn't make much sense though. Whether the parents (and grand parents) are dead or just don't want to immigrate, doesn't change much from the fact that the sponsor remains alone in Canada, so the "lonely Canadian rule" as referred to earlier by scylla, doesn't quite serve its purpose effectively. By the way I'm just curious, how do you prove to cic the death of your parents and grand parents? do you have to submit 6 death certificates, one for each?

Thanks for the suggestion, but my score estimated by CRS doesn't reach the ever growing minimum thresholds of the selection pools, and now with the victory of Trump and the news of cic crashing yesterday due to the flood of americans seeking immigration to Canada, the minimum scores will go even higher. I dug into Express Entry before considering the sponsorship route, Express Entry is just hopeless for me.
Yes. You would have to submit death certificates of your parents/grandparents to prove PGP program isn't an option anymore if one wishes to use the lonely canadian/PR clause.

ALTN

Star Member
May 16, 2016
Yes. You would have to submit death certificates of your parents/grandparents to prove PGP program isn't an option anymore if one wishes to use the lonely canadian/PR clause.
Alright, thanks!