+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

bringing your belongings to Canada once PR Visa is approved

MonsterFX

Sep 24, 2008
This is something I have been curious about, and I figured this was probably the best place to ask...

Once you've received your Visa and are allowed to "land" in Canada to be with your husband/wife....is there anything specific you need to do in order to bring all of your personal belongings?

For example, I have read and know exactly what I have to do in order to import my car from the States, but what about all of the normal personal belongings I will be moving with me as well?

Someone told my husband that I will have to list every single little thing (in detail), that I am bringing with me when I arrive at the border...is this true?

What did you all have to do??

Better yet...is there a website someone can suggest that will explain the process?

Thank you!!

C

cchabert

This is a good link to answer your question:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Goods_To_Follow

This is the form:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/b4-eng.pdf

If you are moving from USA my brother in law use this company and they have a good experience:

http://www.atlasworldgroup.com/

Good Luck!

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
Hi Monster - This is the form you will need to itemize the belongings you want to bring into Canada. You do not have to be terribly detailed, for example: instead of listing every title of every book you own, you can simply list a line item of 53 books. List things as towels and linens, bakeware, cookware, dishware, etc., and provide an estimated value. However, things like TVs, computers, jewelry, artwork, stereo systems, etc., should be itemized separately, with serial numbers and values.

The reason for detailing your personal effects is so that you do not have to pay duty on them. You can also include a second list of "Goods to Follow" if there are items you'll be bringing in or shipping at a later date. Anything that you don't include on your list(s), you will have to pay tax, including a vehicle. Also, you're only allowed to import duty free items that you previously owned/used prior to coming to Canada. You cannot go out and buy a whole room full of new furniture and bring that in without duty . . . although new items that are gifts (like wedding gifts, for example) are exempt from being taxed.

MonsterFX

Sep 24, 2008
Oh man....this is gonna take a while because I have so many boxes packed up already! Guess now's a good time to go through everything and really cut down on what I intend to bring! :p

So I'm assuming the only documents I will need then when I arrive at the border, are the 2 forms you both suggested? In addition to the forms for my vehicle of course...

Thanks so much for the info, guys....I really appreciate the help!!