+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bringing US Spouse through Canadian Customs

mitchpace

Nov 13, 2023
I also personally know 5+ people who haven’t been able to get a midwife even with OHIP because practices were full. Some midwives seem to prioritize non-OHIP holders although they are supposed to prioritizes those with OHIP but there is a limit to how many patients they can take based on due date. Given that spouses are now coming to Canada easily many are getting pregnant placing even more demand on midwives. In the past few weeks someone else was trying to find a midwife and had called almost 10 and they were all not taking patients. There isn’t a lot of midwives to begin with.
This is so true! we have been trying to find OB or midwife for many weeks now but no luck

Lili611

Star Member
Dec 15, 2017
I also personally know 5+ people who haven’t been able to get a midwife even with OHIP because practices were full. Some midwives seem to prioritize non-OHIP holders although they are supposed to prioritizes those with OHIP but there is a limit to how many patients they can take based on due date. Given that spouses are now coming to Canada easily many are getting pregnant placing even more demand on midwives. In the past few weeks someone else was trying to find a midwife and had called almost 10 and they were all not taking patients. There isn’t a lot of midwives to begin with.
Yes it’s a hard shot, even harder after Covid.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
This is so true! we have been trying to find OB or midwife for many weeks now but no luck
The fact that she doesn’t have OHIP means that she is not a priority. If she had OHIP an OB would prioritize her case and they’d have to squeeze her in somewhere. Since practices are very full OBs will be reluctant to take non-OHIP holders. Some never take private pay patients. In general most doctors are not set up to accept private pay patients. As soon as the government announced that spouses would be able to come to Canada more easily I pointed out that pregnancy was going to be a big issue in many provinces.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes it’s a hard shot, even harder after Covid.
It was always hard but there are more people who have remained without status plus spouses are now arriving without OHIP plus many women with OHIP who would also like to see a midwife. I have known people who called at 6 weeks pregnant and not been able to find a midwife.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks all for chiming in here!
There aren't many Dr accepting new patients at the moment. Plus, we are looking at a cost of $15-20K easily if we were to do it here in Canada which will be a bit hard for me to bear currently.
Do you think Air port entries will be a little smoother than land entry?
Also, does every count as a new entry for her? We want to make sure for her PR too this does not count as an over stay. Appreciate it!
I don't think land or air will make a difference. Her re-entries are recorded and visible in the system either way. Since she has been questioned a few times already, I would make sure you have a plan in place in case she's ever refused re-entry. The chances of this are certainly on the lower side but best to be prepared.

mitchpace

Nov 13, 2023
I don't think land or air will make a difference. Her re-entries are recorded and visible in the system either way. Since she has been questioned a few times already, I would make sure you have a plan in place in case she's ever refused re-entry. The chances of this are certainly on the lower side but best to be prepared.
Thank you! and sorry she was just recenly questioned once on our last entry but before that it has been a seamless experience.
The backup plan would be I quit my job and live with her in US for a bit

Reactions: scylla

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you! and sorry she was just recenly questioned once on our last entry but before that it has been a seamless experience.
The backup plan would be I quit my job and live with her in US for a bit
The fact that you were questioned could mean that her file was flagged which would mean a much higher chance of being questioned the next time. Have you considered doing the chest x-ray? Depending on how pregnant your partner is you may at least get coverage for the delivery.

mitchpace

Nov 13, 2023
The fact that you were questioned could mean that her file was flagged which would mean a much higher chance of being questioned the next time. Have you considered doing the chest x-ray? Depending on how pregnant your partner is you may at least get coverage for the delivery.
Hi, I actually I just checked the Portal
Her eligibility was completed earlier this month.
Can we apply for her OHIP or work permit?