+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bringing US Spouse through Canadian Customs

mitchpace

Nov 13, 2023
Simple answer is that it's not possilbe. There is no way to guarantee re-entry to Canada. Whether she is allowed into Canada or not is always up to CBSA. Frequent border crossings increase the chances of issues.

Conisder finding an OBGYN in Canada and paying for the costs of the check-ups out of pocket. That's really the only solution if you want zero risk.
Hello, thank you for your insights.
Can she stay in Canada though for the next 6-7 months? or do we apply for some sort of a visa for her?

mitchpace

Nov 13, 2023
If it's inland, once her eligibility passed, she can apply for OHIP. If it's outland, then the CBSA may give her a hard time for going back and forth a lot.
We applied outland. So is she not eligible for OHIP once she passes the eligibility? Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If it's inland, once her eligibility passed, she can apply for OHIP. If it's outland, then the CBSA may give her a hard time for going back and forth a lot.
For inland, the eligibility only takes 2-3 months after submitting documents. For outland, it may come at the end of the process.
You only qualify for OHIP at AIP which is not 2-3 months after applying. You essentially qualify for OHIP right before securing PR.

Lili611

Star Member
Dec 15, 2017
You only qualify for OHIP at AIP which is not 2-3 months after applying. You essentially qualify for OHIP right before securing PR.
Oh really?
I applied for my husband’s on September 1, 2023. Inland. He got his AIP on November 6, 2023. Tracker shows Eligibility passed November 3 and pre-arrival on Nov 4.
In our case, he got OWP and a Job letter before AIP so he already got OHIP.

mitchpace

Nov 13, 2023
Oh really?
I applied for my husband’s on September 1, 2023. Inland. He got his AIP on November 6, 2023. Tracker shows Eligibility passed November 3 and pre-arrival on Nov 4.
what docs you need to apply for OHIP?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
We applied outland. So is she not eligible for OHIP once she passes the eligibility? Thanks
She will only qualify for OHIP at AIP which is right before PR approval. Everytime she crosses the US it flags the border agent that your spouse has been living in Canada as visitor. Agree with @scylla that there is no guarantee she won’t be prevented from entering Canada one day. If you want to be safe don’t leave Canada. The file is unlikely to move if you haven’t completed the medical. Does her employer have any Canadian offices or client/customers?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Oh really?
He only qualified for OHIP because he was working in Ontario and had a full-time job that was scheduled to last over 6 months.

Lili611

Star Member
Dec 15, 2017
He only qualified for OHIP because he was working and had a full-time job that was scheduled to last over 6 months.
What I’m trying to say is: he got AIP after 2 months of applying! Applied Sep 1 and AIP on Nov 6.
I’m not talking about OWP here!