+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bringing US Spouse through Canadian Customs

mnmq13

May 8, 2013
Hi

I am bringing my My US spouse to Canada. Both of us will be staying for a week to have our wedding reception in Canada and will be heading off outside of Canada for our honeymoon and then come back to Canada after a week. I am planning to sponsor her for PR from within Canada.

My question is how should I prepare myself and my spouse when we go through customs in Pearson on both journeys (coming from the US and then coming back from our Honeymoon)? I am planning to bring our marriage certificate, our application package, the receipt for the PR application that was paid online. I want her to stay with me as a visitor while the application is pending. If her stay goes beyond 6 months, I will apply for an extension.

Thanks

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
For my husband and I, we just went into customs/immigration at the border and showed them our marriage certificate. We hadn't even yet started our sponsorship paperwork but told them we planned on it. They gave me a 12 week Visitor Record and said once we had sent in our paperwork to come back. They then gave me a 12 month Visitor Record and informed me if I needed and extension to come back and see them.

It was really quite simple and pain free, although kinda scary at the beginning!

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
mnmq13 said:
Hi

I am bringing my My US spouse to Canada. Both of us will be staying for a week to have our wedding reception in Canada and will be heading off outside of Canada for our honeymoon and then come back to Canada after a week. I am planning to sponsor her for PR from within Canada.

My question is how should I prepare myself and my spouse when we go through customs in Pearson on both journeys (coming from the US and then coming back from our Honeymoon)? I am planning to bring our marriage certificate, our application package, the receipt for the PR application that was paid online. I want her to stay with me as a visitor while the application is pending. If her stay goes beyond 6 months, I will apply for an extension.

Thanks
Have proof of income/assets so you can show them she won't need to work illegally during her "stay" (i.e., the period before she gets "approval in principle"). They probably won't ask for that, but it's good to have it just in case.

blueangel371115

Champion Member
May 24, 2012
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
13-01-2014
Doc's Request.
10-02-2014
AOR Received.
17-07-2014
File Transfer...
17-07-2014
Med's Done....
02-12-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2015 (returned 1/19 due to errors), 26-01-2015
LANDED..........
05-02-2015 Finally
frege said:
Have proof of income/assets so you can show them she won't need to work illegally during her "stay" (i.e., the period before she gets "approval in principle"). They probably won't ask for that, but it's good to have it just in case.
I won't have submitted the documents yet but I would once I received the marriage certificate and the CBSA officers know this as I have stated this each time. Though not guaranteed. I'm marrying in the US then having the reception in canada and after the wedding we are heading out of canada for our honeymoon then I'd like to visit through the pr process. I hope I can make them understand. I will gladly produce my bank statements even if I have to bring them on my honeymoon :) . I will be so happy when this is over.

mitchpace

Nov 13, 2023
Hi All,
I am looking for some help and If you can share your experiences, that'd be great!
I got married to a US citizen earlier this year.
She has been with me here in Canada for the past 8-10 months. We did take some trips though in the middle ( International travel from Canada to Dubai for 2 weeks in July) and trips to USA her home state (2-3 times by road and spent 2-3 days) but came back to Canada.
I applied for her Canadian PR in May but we haven't heard back yet.
In Sept, we found out she is Pregnant and since her home state is Arizona, we had to get her an OBGYN in nearby distance clinic in NY state since it is easier to commute. Please note she doesn't have health card in Canada.
Now we have to visit her Dr every 3-4 weeks but recently we are being asked why is she spending so much time in Canada. I am afraid that she might get entry denied specially that we have to cross border every 3-4 weeks for the next 6-7 months.
PS: she has no family in USA and she is dependent on me for emotional support
She works a remote US job from Canada
She owns her house in Arizona( her own property)

Question: how can we ensure she has smooth entries to Canada everytime we cross land border and that she can legally live in Canada while we wait for her PR approval?
Appreciate all the responses!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi All,
I am looking for some help and If you can share your experiences, that'd be great!
She has been with me here in Canada for the past 8-10 months. We did take some trips though in the middle ( International travel from Canada to Dubai for 2 weeks in July) and trips to USA her home state (2-3 times by road and spent 2-3 days) but came back to Canada.
In Sept, we found out she is Pregnant and since her home state is Arizona, we had to get her an OBGYN in nearby distance clinic in NY state since it is easier to commute. Please note she doesn't have health card in Canada.
Now we have to visit her Dr every 3-4 weeks but recently we are being asked why is she spending so much time in Canada. I am afraid that she might get entry denied specially that we have to cross border every 3-4 weeks for the next 6-7 months.

Question: how can we ensure she has smooth entries to Canada everytime we cross land border and that she can legally live in Canada while we wait for her PR approval?
Do you guys have to live in Canada or you can stay with her in Arizona until she gets her PR visa?

mitchpace

Nov 13, 2023
Hi Steaky, Thanks for your reply!
Yes, I work from the office 5 days a week here in Canada so I can't live in US unfortunately.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi All,

Simple answer is that it's not possilbe. There is no way to guarantee re-entry to Canada. Whether she is allowed into Canada or not is always up to CBSA. Frequent border crossings increase the chances of issues.

Conisder finding an OBGYN in Canada and paying for the costs of the check-ups out of pocket. That's really the only solution if you want zero risk.

Reactions: canuck78

mitchpace

Nov 13, 2023
Hi, thanks for your msg! it has not yet passed eligibility. Also, we had to postpone her xrays due to her pregnancy in her medical exam. Not sure if thats causing the delay?
Also, once she passes the eligibility, how can we apply for her OHIP? thanks

mitchpace

Nov 13, 2023
Is her Pr application passed eligibility? If yes, she'll approved for OHIP
Hi, thanks for your msg! it has not yet passed eligibility. Also, we had to postpone her xrays due to her pregnancy in her medical exam. Not sure if thats causing the delay?

Lili611

Star Member
Dec 15, 2017
Ok since you applied outland, it's a different story.