+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bringing US born kid to Canada with Canadian PR parents

vcoer

Jul 18, 2017
Question: I am an Indian citizen who resides in USA on work visa.
I received my Canadian PR (under skilled worker express entry) last December. I intend to move permanently to Canada by the end of next year (i.e. after 2 years of receiving my PR).

However, currently I am expecting a baby and intend to have him/her born in US itself. As I understand, I would later need to apply for my kid's PR from canada.

My questions are -
1.Is my theory correct that it could all be done easily this way or could their be any potential issues in this process?
2. Can my baby (who would be a US citizen by birth) move with me to Canada as a visitor, and then I can apply for his/her PR from there. Could there by any issues?
3. Finally, how long does it take (the whole process before I get PR card for kid) to sponsor your kid for PR?

Thanks a lot,
V

BhargavDadhaniya

Star Member
Apr 1, 2019
Hi All,
Any response to vcoer's questions?
1) I have little bit similar situation and would love to know whether US born kid of Canadian PR parents can enter Canada and then parents can sponsor the kid.
2) Can US born kid stay in Canada (just based on US passport) until Canadian PR is approved?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi All,
Any response to vcoer's questions?
1) I have little bit similar situation and would love to know whether US born kid of Canadian PR parents can enter Canada and then parents can sponsor the kid.
2) Can US born kid stay in Canada (just based on US passport) until Canadian PR is approved?
Yes & Yes
You must ensure their status in Canada is always current
And since they are categorized as visitors they wouldn’t be covered by provincial healthcare .
Health insurance is recommended

BhargavDadhaniya

Star Member
Apr 1, 2019
Yes & Yes
You must ensure their status in Canada is always current
And since they are categorized as visitors they wouldn’t be covered by provincial healthcare .
Health insurance is recommended
Thanks for the prompt response.
Yes, I understand that kid's health insurance is needed until kid's PR is approved and then OHIP will be applied.
I did not fully understand the status in Canada point.
We are already living in Canada on PR from past 1 year and work in US. (like Windsor-Detroit commute). Baby is likely to be born in US. So, once US passport is arrived for baby, all 3 of us can come back to Windsor. Status in Canada should be current in this case. Correct?