Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP) under express entry - connect here

Janaki Iyer

Star Member
Dec 8, 2016
Canada
Visa Office......
Canada
Hi guys!

I am on a closed work permit (LMIA exempt) working as a postdoctoral fellow. And my current work permit is valid until November 2017. I have met all the requirements of CEC and have a CRS of 521 currently. But recently my employer has given me an updated offer letter until December 2021 and I will be claiming points based on this for arranged employment. So my question is can I apply for a permanent residence directly or should I be applying for a work permit extension first? Also, will I be eligible to apply for a bridging work permit (and continue to work for my current employer) after I have submitted my PR application as I am currently on a closed work permit?

Hoping for help from seniors!

neorol

Jul 31, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-10-2016
AOR Received.
26-10-2016 (1st AOR) / 01-12-2016 (BOWP - 2nd AOR)
Med's Done....
09-11-2016 (Passed)
Passport Req..
02-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
15-02-2017
LANDED..........
22-04-2017
Janaki Iyer said:
Hi guys!

I am on a closed work permit (LMIA exempt) working as a postdoctoral fellow. And my current work permit is valid until November 2017. I have met all the requirements of CEC and have a CRS of 521 currently. But recently my employer has given me an updated offer letter until December 2021 and I will be claiming points based on this for arranged employment. So my question is can I apply for a permanent residence directly or should I be applying for a work permit extension first? Also, will I be eligible to apply for a bridging work permit (and continue to work for my current employer) after I have submitted my PR application as I am currently on a closed work permit?

Hoping for help from seniors!
I think even without the job offer you would have enough points to get an ITA and it would make everything easier.

As you submit your PR application, and you have only 4 months validity left on your current work permit, you can apply for BOWP, which is an open work permit. It means you can work for any companies.

Janaki Iyer

Star Member
Dec 8, 2016
Canada
Visa Office......
Canada
neorol said:
I think even without the job offer you would have enough points to get an ITA and it would make everything easier.

As you submit your PR application, and you have only 4 months validity left on your current work permit, you can apply for BOWP, which is an open work permit. It means you can work for any companies.
Thanks neorol. But when the express entry profile asks me if I have a valid job offer? I should answer yes, because I have an extension letter from my current employer until 2021. If I say no, wouldn't that mean that I'm not giving the correct information?

neorol

Jul 31, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-10-2016
AOR Received.
26-10-2016 (1st AOR) / 01-12-2016 (BOWP - 2nd AOR)
Med's Done....
09-11-2016 (Passed)
Passport Req..
02-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
15-02-2017
LANDED..........
22-04-2017
Janaki Iyer said:
Thanks neorol. But when the express entry profile asks me if I have a valid job offer? I should answer yes, because I have an extension letter from my current employer until 2021. If I say no, wouldn't that mean that I'm not giving the correct information?
Express Entry works the opposite way. You put in the information you wanna claim points for. There is no harm in not including things that may give extra points. If you claim points for something that is not valid, that's a problem.

By the way, are you sure your job offer meets the qruitera of "valid job offer"? It's just a term, and most job offers are not "valid job offers" according to the rules. I would double check.

pilot747

Mar 9, 2015
Hello,

to apply for BOWP, it mentions

Applicants applying for a BOWP must include a copy of their Acknowledgment of receipt - Application for permanent residence letter with their open work permit application.

Does this mean, i will have to attach IMM 5794 (12-2016) E GCMS ?

Janaki Iyer

Star Member
Dec 8, 2016
Canada
Visa Office......
Canada
neorol said:
Express Entry works the opposite way. You put in the information you wanna claim points for. There is no harm in not including things that may give extra points. If you claim points for something that is not valid, that's a problem.

By the way, are you sure your job offer meets the qruitera of "valid job offer"? It's just a term, and most job offers are not "valid job offers" according to the rules. I would double check.
It's a LMIA exempt work permit job and my NOC code is 2121 which falls under skill type A. It's the standard extension letter from the University which states that my contract has been extended until December 2021. And mentions my salary increment after every two years. And it states that all other terms of employment are the same as my original offer letter from July 2015. Signed by the supervisor and on the university letter head. And I've been working for the same employer for the past one year, and currently working for the same employer on a closed work permit. I think that qualifies as a valid job offer right? In addition I will also get a letter of explanation from the HR and my supervisor explaining all this along with my job duties, number of hours etc.

DannyMC8710

Feb 23, 2017
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi guys!

Today my BOWP change the status to "on hold" what does it mean? I submitted the AOR with the application.
Here is my status

CEC Inland
AOR : January 23th
Applied for BOWP : January 24th
Medical passed : February 22nd
BG In Progress : February 22nd

Thanks in advance

reddyreddy

Star Member
Jul 28, 2016
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15/01/2017
Doc's Request.
10/03/2017
AOR Received.
15/01/2017
Med's Done....
20/02/2017
Passport Req..
10/04/2017
DannyMC8710 said:
Hi guys!

Today my BOWP change the status to "on hold" what does it mean? I submitted the AOR with the application.
Here is my status

CEC Inland

Thanks in advance
Means your R10 is not complete and your BOWP will be placed on hold until it is complete

Yamama

Star Member
Aug 2, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
DannyMC8710 said:
Hi guys!

Here is my status

CEC Inland

Thanks in advance
It means they have start evaluating your PR applcation for R10 Checks , in my case i got my BOWP approved with in 2 weeks after it went Onhold with R10 Check completed on my PR app.

Good Luck U r almost there.

;)

tinaw2009

Star Member
Jun 8, 2016
Yamama said:
It means they have start evaluating your PR applcation for R10 Checks , in my case i got my BOWP approved with in 2 weeks after it went Onhold with R10 Check completed on my PR app.

Good Luck U r almost there.

;)

Hi, Yamama

For my further understanding, how do you know on hold means R10 check ? As i had on hold for some time and later got approval of BOWP. but I don't see any change for my PR. no indication on R10 check nor medical pass indication either. please advise, Thank:)

Nitz_Au

Jan 26, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
AOR Received.
June 30,2016
Med's Request
Medical Passed July18
Passport Req..
Nov 17,2016
LANDED..........
June 28,2017
Anyone have their BOWP approved lately?

tinaw2009

Star Member
Jun 8, 2016
goodenough said:
Thank you so much!

From reading the posts from 2015 and 2016 I got an impression that those applications just get rejected immediately, but I guess things have changed...
Hi, Because I didn't attach my AOR in eAPR, my application was rejected after 3 weeks. but I actually submitted a web form as remedy in the second day of eAPR. So I called in to explain, then they correct it, change my App status from reject to on hold then open for a while. now it got approved. But to be honest, I see the service level and attitude are vary. so be luck and careful enough.

Nitz_Au

Jan 26, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
AOR Received.
June 30,2016
Med's Request
Medical Passed July18
Passport Req..
Nov 17,2016
LANDED..........
June 28,2017
tinaw2009 said:
Hi, My one is approved today.
Nice to hear! My husband's been waiting for his BOWP applied Jan 26. When did you apply?

tinaw2009

Star Member
Jun 8, 2016
Nitz_Au said:
Nice to hear! My husband's been waiting for his BOWP applied Jan 26. When did you apply?
We applied in Dec.. as officer handled it with oversight, so we took longer time. referring to this site, many get theirs within 30 days.