+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BOWP X Which situation best describes your work situation?

Guiteixeira

Apr 4, 2019
Hi.
I have received an ITA from the BC PNP program and have submitted my application, right after that, I have received the email called "BC PNP Acknowledgement of Receipt", which means that I can now apply for the BOWP, since my visa expire in less than a month.

The only way for me to finish the BOWP application in the CIC portal was by answering the question "Which situation best describes your work situation?" with "I'm a provincial nominee certificate holder".

The question is: do you guys know if this is the correct thing to answer for this scenario?

And after that, in the documents checklist section, the application requires these items below:
Provincial Nominee Program Certificate (PNC) (required)
Letter of Support from Province or Territory (required)

Which I still don't have, since I'm not nominated yet.

There is no other question there possibly related to my scenario.

As usual, you assistance will be highly appreciated.

Thank you!

StonehamPark

Star Member
Oct 27, 2017
I believe you need to be at (or after) AOR stage with CIC, not BC, to be eligible for a BOWP.

So you'd need to have gotten your nomination certificate, applied to CIC, submitted all the docs and received your AOR from CIC themselves.

Reactions: Guiteixeira

Guiteixeira

Apr 4, 2019
I believe you need to be at (or after) AOR stage with CIC, not BC, to be eligible for a BOWP.

So you'd need to have gotten your nomination certificate, applied to CIC, submitted all the docs and received your AOR from CIC themselves.
Thank you so much for you kind answer. According to the eligibility in the CIC website (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/extend-permit/bridging-open-work-permit.html) it says that If the user submitted an application under a Provincial Nominee Program the user is eligible for the BOWP. I already have a AOR from the BC PNP program, so I Understand that I'm eligible to apply for this one now.

StonehamPark

Star Member
Oct 27, 2017
Thank you so much for you kind answer. According to the eligibility in the CIC website (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/extend-permit/bridging-open-work-permit.html) it says that If the user submitted an application under a Provincial Nominee Program the user is eligible for the BOWP. I already have a AOR from the BC PNP program, so I Understand that I'm eligible to apply for this one now.
I still believe you need to have reached AOR status with CIC.

"If you don’t send a complete permanent residence application, we will refuse your bridging open work permit application and will not refund your processing fees."

"You may be eligible for a bridging open work permit if:
  • you applied for permanent residence"

"You can only qualify if you applied to one of these permanent residence programs:

• Federal Skilled Worker Program
  • Canadian Experience Class
  • Federal Skilled Trades Program
  • Provincial Nominee Program"
According to your first post, you have only submitted an application to the province, and nothing to CIC?
Have you sent a complete PR application to CIC with your nomination certificate from the province?

Guiteixeira

Apr 4, 2019
I still believe you need to have reached AOR status with CIC.

"If you don’t send a complete permanent residence application, we will refuse your bridging open work permit application and will not refund your processing fees."

"You may be eligible for a bridging open work permit if:
  • you applied for permanent residence"

"You can only qualify if you applied to one of these permanent residence programs:

• Federal Skilled Worker Program
  • Canadian Experience Class
  • Federal Skilled Trades Program
  • Provincial Nominee Program"
According to your first post, you have only submitted an application to the province, and nothing to CIC?
Have you sent a complete PR application to CIC with your nomination certificate from the province?
No, I did not. I just submitted my application for the provincial Nominee Program, and they gave me an AOR for their program. They might take a while until finish my process (2 to 3 months).
So, according to your understanding, the criterion listed on the link:
  • you applied for permanent residence
  • your current work permit expires in 4 months or less
  • you have valid status on your work permit
  • you are currently in Canada
They are "AND", no "OR", which means that we have to answer "YES" to the four questions, right? Because, in my case, the answers are:
  • you applied for permanent residence - NOT YET.
  • your current work permit expires in 4 months or less - YES.
  • you have valid status on your work permit - YES.
  • you are currently in Canada - YES.
But if that's the case, is there something I can do to keep a valid legal status? Because my visa will expire in July 03/2019....

StonehamPark

Star Member
Oct 27, 2017
No, I did not. I just submitted my application for the provincial Nominee Program, and they gave me an AOR for their program. They might take a while until finish my process (2 to 3 months).

But if that's the case, is there something I can do to keep a valid legal status? Because my visa will expire in July 03/2019....
AOR for Province and CIC is totally 100% seperate.
I am 99.99% sure you need AOR from CIC after you have already gained the nomination certificate AND applied for PR with CIC, and then received the AOR from them.

So this is for sure a couple of (or a few) months away, which could be an issue with your current visa expiring soon.
Unfortunately I can't offer any advice on how to extend your current visa as I don't know your circumstances. I'm sure someone else on the forum is much better informed than me.

Guiteixeira

Apr 4, 2019
AOR for Province and CIC is totally 100% seperate.
I am 99.99% sure you need AOR from CIC after you have already gained the nomination certificate AND applied for PR with CIC, and then received the AOR from them.

So this is for sure a couple of (or a few) months away, which could be an issue with your current visa expiring soon.
Unfortunately I can't offer any advice on how to extend your current visa as I don't know your circumstances. I'm sure someone else on the forum is much better informed than me.
Thank you so much for your attention and comments. I'll keep track on this and will inform here the outcome. Tks again.

Reactions: StonehamPark

naneja

Nov 5, 2018
after provine nominate you nd u hav to send pr file to cic if ur application is fully completed they gave u AOR it takes around 2-3 months after sunmitted file....without cic AOR u r not eligible for bowp !!

Guiteixeira

Apr 4, 2019
after provine nominate you nd u hav to send pr file to cic if ur application is fully completed they gave u AOR it takes around 2-3 months after sunmitted file....without cic AOR u r not eligible for bowp !!
I thought that with the AOR from BC PNP I would be able to apply. I might talk to a lawyer of Consultant to check for options. Tks.

srisri2323

Oct 22, 2022
hello everyone.
i need some help here. I have completed my post graduation (2 years) and got work permit for 2 years because my passport expired on the specific date. I have renewed my passport and trying to apply for work permit extension(remaining 1 year). when i try to apply through cic, i couldn't answer two questions which are
1. Do you have a written job offer letter??
2.Which option best describes your work situation ??

DO i need to have LMIA letter to say yes for 1st question? i am open work permit holder. so what should i answer for this questions?

Thanks