+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BOWP - How many of you have applied and received it successfully?

md4me

Star Member
Jan 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-06-2013
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting....
LANDED..........
Waiting....
md4me said:
Hi Friends,

How many of you applied for BOWP and recieved it even when your closed work permit was valid for more than 4 months?

Hope if anyone has some information :(

md4me

Star Member
Jan 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-06-2013
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting....
LANDED..........
Waiting....
Can anyone provide any helpful suggestions in this below scenario.

A person applied for BOWP with an explanation letter that his employer has communicated to terminate him. He receives the open work permit. At the same time his employer withdraws the termination. Can a person continue to work with the same employer or look for a new job with open work permit? In any case does this person has to inform CIC that his employer withdrew the termination after he got the open work permit?

venuamancha

Sep 30, 2013
Hi,

My BOWP got approved and received in Dec-2013. Then after I applied for visa extension for me & my family (spouse & child). Today I received a message (a letter) in MyCIC website that a decision has been made on 'my' application and asked to send my passport.
The issue is, this letter does not mention to send the my family members passports but under their application status it shows as 'approved'.
Can I send all 3 passports together or just only my passport ? Any advice is really appreciated.

Thanks.

LPS

Champion Member
Aug 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-08-2013
AOR Received.
07-10-2013
Med's Request
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
26-03-2014
LANDED..........
09-04-2014
md4me said:
Can anyone provide any helpful suggestions in this below scenario.

A person applied for BOWP with an explanation letter that his employer has communicated to terminate him. He receives the open work permit. At the same time his employer withdraws the termination. Can a person continue to work with the same employer or look for a new job with open work permit? In any case does this person has to inform CIC that his employer withdrew the termination after he got the open work permit?
It sounds a bit like colluding with your employer to temporarily 'lose' your job and obtain a BOWP in spite of the four month rule. Or perhaps this person was actually let go and then re-hired. In any case there is no exception to the four-month rule. Some people on closed WPs with more than four months remaining have reported applying for a BOWP successfully, because they had lost their jobs and were stranded in Canada unable to work, and were able to persuade a sympathetic VO.

ramkpp

Oct 21, 2013
I think getting visa from inside is applicable only for work permit holders, not for visitors or dependent visitors. Please double check before sending dependent passports.

md4me

Star Member
Jan 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-06-2013
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting....
LANDED..........
Waiting....
LPS said:
It sounds a bit like colluding with your employer to temporarily 'lose' your job and obtain a BOWP in spite of the four month rule. Or perhaps this person was actually let go and then re-hired. In any case there is no exception to the four-month rule. Some people on closed WPs with more than four months remaining have reported applying for a BOWP successfully, because they had lost their jobs and were stranded in Canada unable to work, and were able to persuade a sympathetic VO.
Employer's sometimes play to their benefits in consulting world. They provide the termination date and again cancel it for their benefit(if they get a new deal signed)
I am just thinking in the event of termination letter one applies for BOWP and then if employer cancels termination,
---should we join them temporarily
----wait for BOWP
----and leave them after finding another offer with BOWP

because you cannot trust the employer anymore.

ningsih

Dec 30, 2013
I have send in my BOWP application online on 31 December and received the approval today! :D now I was told that I could cross the border with my spouse and children and have their status extended at the port of entry close to the date that our original working permit expires. Has anyone had any experience with that approach?

leothelion123

Star Member
Jul 18, 2012
iam_toby said:
I wasn't part of the lucky group either. People who applied after me got it approved in 5 days, took 15 for me. Hang in there.
Hi Toby

Was it 15 working days for you? Or 15 days in total?

Thanks

md4me

Star Member
Jan 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-06-2013
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting....
LANDED..........
Waiting....
iam_toby said:
15 in total
Hi Toby,

I have one important question. I have applied for Bridge open work permit. If it gets approved does it cancel my closed work permit?

Any help any one much appreciated

LPS

Champion Member
Aug 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-08-2013
AOR Received.
07-10-2013
Med's Request
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
26-03-2014
LANDED..........
09-04-2014
md4me said:
Employer's sometimes play to their benefits in consulting world. They provide the termination date and again cancel it for their benefit(if they get a new deal signed)
I am just thinking in the event of termination letter one applies for BOWP and then if employer cancels termination,
---should we join them temporarily
----wait for BOWP
----and leave them after finding another offer with BOWP

because you cannot trust the employer anymore.
It sounds like you've hung your immigration hopes on a pretty dubious employer. I guess you don't have to inform CIC that you were re-hired for the job after applying for BOWP. Because you weren't required to tell them about your termination either. Whether you are currently employed is not supposed to matter; what matters is having a work permit that expires within four months. You might get a sympathetic VO to waive that rule, and telling them you were re-hired isn't going to help your case.

md4me

Star Member
Jan 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-06-2013
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting....
LANDED..........
Waiting....
LPS said:
It sounds like you've hung your immigration hopes on a pretty dubious employer. I guess you don't have to inform CIC that you were re-hired for the job after applying for BOWP. Because you weren't required to tell them about your termination either. Whether you are currently employed is not supposed to matter; what matters is having a work permit that expires within four months. You might get a sympathetic VO to waive that rule, and telling them you were re-hired isn't going to help your case.
Thanks LPS.

I have one important question. I have applied for Bridge open work permit. If it gets approved does it cancel my closed work permit? because my employer has revoked the decision now but I am confused if BOWP is approved, does my closed work permit become invalid and I will not be able to continue my job? please help if you have any suggestions

KevinSong

Star Member
Jul 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-10-2013
Doc's Request.
08-05-2014 (additional doc request)
Med's Request
08-06-2014
Med's Done....
20-06-2014
Passport Req..
visa exempt
VISA ISSUED...
copr on 16-07-2014
LANDED..........
16-07-2014 at pacific highway
md4me said:
Thanks LPS.

I have one important question. I have applied for Bridge open work permit. If it gets approved does it cancel my closed work permit? because my employer has revoked the decision now but I am confused if BOWP is approved, does my closed work permit become invalid and I will not be able to continue my job? please help if you have any suggestions

Your closed work permit will be automatically expired when your open work permit is approved. However, you can continue your current work with open work permit.

md4me

Star Member
Jan 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-06-2013
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting....
LANDED..........
Waiting....
KevinSong said:
Your closed work permit will be automatically expired when your open work permit is approved. However, you can continue your current work with open work permit.
Kevin,

Do I need to inform my employer about BOWP or continue as normal? since I did not lose my job and employer revoked the decision when I was still working.

Nikki30588

Star Member
May 30, 2012
LPS - Thanks for your reply. I do have a few more questions and I hope you don't mind answering them for me. I have left you a personal message. Thanks!