+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BOWP - How many of you have applied and received it successfully?

bhavik_ec

Star Member
Jul 16, 2013
For > 4 Months left case for BOWP:

I applied back in Sep 2013 (I had 9 months of WP left at that time) without offer letter and I got refusal letter saying WP is valid > 4 months.

Two of my friends applied back in May 2013 (they had 8 months of WP left at that time) with new employer offer letter and they got BOWP approved. Point to be noted here are….they applied long back when OB485 was active and not OB485A. Also, they put offer letter and I didn’t.

Now as OB485A is active, I am not sure you will get BOWP approved even if you have valid offer letter !! It’s matter of 150 CAD. Don’t even think of applied without new employer offer letter as it would be surely get rejected. They are following OB485A guidelines very strictly.

TheAwesomeMatt

Star Member
Jun 26, 2013
Victoria, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-02-2013
AOR Received.
08-21-2013
Med's Request
02-18-2014
Med's Done....
03-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
03-21-2014
LANDED..........
04-06-2014
gavintkb said:
Hi everyone,

This is the first time I've posted here and I've been following this thread since my girlfriend submitted her BOWP application.

Just a bit of background, my girlfriend submitted her PR application under CEC around May 2013 but it was returned due to a missing document. After attaching the missing document, the application was sent back to CIC on 7th June 2013. Her PGWP was expiring on 29th June 2013 and she received her AOR on the 30th July so she missed the window to submit her BOWP application at that time. In the meantime she received her visitor's visa to allow her to stay in Canada. Whilst researching the forums, we came across a thread where an application was approved even after their working permit expired which gave us hope that her application which was submitted on the 1st August 2013 might get approved if she submitted a cover letter explaining the circumstances. (Had we known that we could of submitted the BOWP application prior to receiving the AOR we might have been just in time before her PGWP expired) Today she received a refusal letter, after more than 3 months and I guess they are really following the strict rules set in the updated bulletin even though she applied before the update. Her previous employment would not provide a LMO however they are willing to offer her job back once she obtains the necessary documents.

We would appreciate any feedback on what else she could do, perhaps submit a job offer from the company? or is there nothing else she could do but wait for her PR?
Is she not eligible for the IEC work permit?

lrow

Star Member
Mar 16, 2010
iam_toby said:
Yes, you are on implied status after your current WP expires in case the new one has not been approved yet.
Thanks a lot iam_toby . I managed to find this info today which seems to be consistent with what you said .

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=188&t=17

I have applied for a new work permit. Can I stay in Canada if my work permit expires?
Yes. You can stay in Canada, and may be able to keep working, under what's called implied status. That means the law implies you are a temporary resident. The implied status lasts until Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) decides on your new permit application. However, you must respect the following requirements:

If you applied for another work permit

You must stay in Canada and meet the conditions of your original work permit. If you applied for a work permit extension before your work permit expired, you can keep working under the same conditions as your existing permit until CIC decides on your application unless you have applied to extend your stay under another category.

If you applied for a different kind of permit

You cannot do any of the activities allowed by the original work permit. For example, you may have come to Canada as a worker and then applied for a study permit. If so, you must stop working once your work permit expires. After that, you cannot work or study until you get a new permit.

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
lrow said:
Thanks a lot iam_toby . I managed to find this info today which seems to be consistent with what you said .

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=188&t=17

I have applied for a new work permit. Can I stay in Canada if my work permit expires?
Yes. You can stay in Canada, and may be able to keep working, under what's called implied status. That means the law implies you are a temporary resident. The implied status lasts until Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) decides on your new permit application. However, you must respect the following requirements:

If you applied for another work permit

You must stay in Canada and meet the conditions of your original work permit. If you applied for a work permit extension before your work permit expired, you can keep working under the same conditions as your existing permit until CIC decides on your application unless you have applied to extend your stay under another category.

If you applied for a different kind of permit

You cannot do any of the activities allowed by the original work permit. For example, you may have come to Canada as a worker and then applied for a study permit. If so, you must stop working once your work permit expires. After that, you cannot work or study until you get a new permit.
Correct. One thing to point out is, that if you leave Canada while you're on implied status, you loose said status.

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
Hey, just wondering, what's the current processing time for BOWP online applications? Is it anywhere close to
the 18 days CIC posted online?

kunishsa

Oct 30, 2012
All BOWP related threads in this website have gone silent for very long. Am I the only one who still hopes to hit the target where entire world thinks otherwise with more than 4 months current WP validity :) :) :)

Maxim1251

Star Member
Sep 17, 2013
GTA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2013-07-12
AOR Received.
2013-09-12
IELTS Request
Submitted with package
Med's Request
2014-02-25
Med's Done....
2014-03-04 (received on 2014-03-13)
Passport Req..
2014-04-10
VISA ISSUED...
2014-04-14
LANDED..........
2014-04-17
iam_toby said:
Hey, just wondering, what's the current processing time for BOWP online applications? Is it anywhere close to
the 18 days CIC posted online?
Mine was rejected on November 19th and I was applied on November 1st

butang2013

Star Member
Aug 12, 2013
Hi guys,

Got my BOWP today valid for 1 year. So happy... :) It took just 6 days. Close work permit is valid for less than four month when I submitted the BOWP application online.

Maxim1251

Star Member
Sep 17, 2013
GTA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2013-07-12
AOR Received.
2013-09-12
IELTS Request
Submitted with package
Med's Request
2014-02-25
Med's Done....
2014-03-04 (received on 2014-03-13)
Passport Req..
2014-04-10
VISA ISSUED...
2014-04-14
LANDED..........
2014-04-17
kunishsa said:
Oh sad. What was the reason for rejection?
More than 4 month till my old WP expires...