+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

birth cert, marriage cert, police report questions

gg_godd

Apr 17, 2012
hey guys, I have a few questions about my wifes documents

Today we got her birth certificate, the guide says it needs to be government certified, stamped and sealed
we got a certified certificate from the registro civil in Costa Rica and then we took it to the Costa Rica foreign affairs office and had it authenticated
I am assuming this is all I need to do but the foreign affairs office mentioned that we could take it to the Canadian consulate to have it authenticated again but I am thinking this is unnecessary? Plus it costs $50 per document so I definitely dont want to do it if it isnt necessary.

We did the same thing with our marriage certificate. Is this all I need to do rather than have them translated by an accredited translator?
I was planning to send in the originals and not bother to have them copied also.

Also if anyone knows if the police certificate needs to be certified in any way or if the original with translation is all that is required.

Thanks for any help, I'm pretty confused and this site is the only place I can get any answers. Everything else is a guessing game.

D

Devine2020

Please do not send your Original Marriage Certificate or Birth Certificate. Send Copies so you don't risk losing originals. Of all the documents you have listed the only original document they need is Police Certificate...Please Check the Instruction Guide on the immigration Website for further details :)

gg_godd

Apr 17, 2012
its very easy and cheap to get the marriage and birth certificates in costa rica so I am not at all worried about losing originals. I did check the guide and it is pretty unclear about what exactly it is that they want.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gg_godd said:
hey guys, I have a few questions about my wifes documents

Today we got her birth certificate, the guide says it needs to be government certified, stamped and sealed
we got a certified certificate from the registro civil in Costa Rica and then we took it to the Costa Rica foreign affairs office and had it authenticated
I am assuming this is all I need to do but the foreign affairs office mentioned that we could take it to the Canadian consulate to have it authenticated again but I am thinking this is unnecessary? Plus it costs $50 per document so I definitely dont want to do it if it isnt necessary.

We did the same thing with our marriage certificate. Is this all I need to do rather than have them translated by an accredited translator?
I was planning to send in the originals and not bother to have them copied also.

Also if anyone knows if the police certificate needs to be certified in any way or if the original with translation is all that is required.

Thanks for any help, I'm pretty confused and this site is the only place I can get any answers. Everything else is a guessing game.
Good news - You do not need to authenticate any documents you submit for the visa office. So, you can either send the ones you have authenticated with foreign affairs and leave it at that or consider keeping those just in case you need authenticated copies in the future once you re in Canada and submit other copies of the originales/ copies certificadas.

sakamath

Feb 11, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi, India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2008
Doc's Request.
Nov 2011
AOR Received.
17-May-2012
File Transfer...
8 Mar 2012
Med's Request
26-Nov-2012
Med's Done....
24-Dec-2012
Passport Req..
26-Nov-2012
VISA ISSUED...
App abandoned in July '14
OhCanadiana said:
Good news - You do not need to authenticate any documents you submit for the visa office.
Just as long as the documents in question are in either English or French. If the document is in any other language, then we would have to get it translated and notarised (both the translated copy as well as the original copy).

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sakamath said:
Just as long as the documents in question are in either English or French. If the document is in any other language, then we would have to get it translated and notarised (both the translated copy as well as the original copy).
You do need to get documents translated if they are not in English or French and submit notarized copies of originals translated. You also need a sworn statement by the translator certifying the translation. However, you don't need to notarize the copy of the translation itself.

However the OPs question is related to authentication - a totally different process, which is not necessary for visa offices. For Latin American VOs, at least, you most definitely do NOT need to authenticate documents submitted.

NB - authentication, the OPs original question, has nothing to do with translations. It is a legal multi-step process that authenticates originals or certified copies of official documents and documents signed by government officials for use abroad.

gg_godd

Apr 17, 2012
ok thats great then I have what I need. So now I should have them translated and thats it? I thought I saw a list of translators in Canada that dont need the sworn statement or to be notarized? Does anyone in Canada have a translator that they used that they would recommend? Thanks guys

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gg_godd said:
ok thats great then I have what I need.
Fantastic!
gg_godd said:
So now I should have them translated and thats it?
Yes, along with affidavit from translator.
gg_godd said:
I thought I saw a list of translators in Canada that dont need the sworn statement or to be notarized? Does anyone in Canada have a translator that they used that they would recommend? Thanks guys
From the instructions at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/3999Etoc.asp
"Translation of documents

Any document that is not in English or French must be accompanied by:

the English or French translation; and
an affidavit from the person who completed the translation; and
a certified copy of the original document.

Note: An affidavit is a document on which the translator has sworn, in the presence of a commissioner authorized to administer oaths in the country in which the translator is living, that the contents of their translation are a true translation and representation of the contents of the original document. Translators who are certified members in good standing of one of the provincial or territorial organizations of translators and interpreters of Canada do not need to supply an affidavit.

Important information. Translations by family members are not acceptable. "

Where are you in Canada?