+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-6: Senate stage

MM26

Oct 3, 2016
Another good news guys:

-Senator Frum is not a member of the social affairs committee anymore.

-Senator Jaffer has joined the committee.

tyl92

Apr 1, 2013
MM26 said:
Another good news guys:

that is indeed a good news ...where could you get this information ?
thank you

monalisa

Dec 6, 2016
MM26 said:
Another good news guys:

I remember that she criticized new independent senators, she was against the bill. I was worried that she could make lot of troubles in the committee.

It seems that this bill is going to pass without any amendment

MWM

Star Member
Jun 1, 2014
monalisa said:
I remember that she criticized new independent senators, she was against the bill. I was worried that she could make lot of troubles in the committee.

I don't know where are the good news ????!!!!

Still majority are cons .

HSD

Star Member
Mar 22, 2015
monalisa said:

So with Senator Jaffer joining the team ,what is the current composition of committee i.e how many libs ,CONS ,Trudeau appointed and harper appointed non-affiliates?

marcher

Mar 30, 2016
HSD said:
So with Senator Jaffer joining the team ,what is the current composition of committee i.e how many libs ,CONS ,Trudeau appointed and harper appointed non-affiliates?
6 non-affiliated
6 conservatives
3 liberals

At least one non-affiliated Senator (Don Meredith) was appointed by Harper.

*Corrected

HSD

Star Member
Mar 22, 2015
marcher said:
6 non-affiliated
5 conservatives
2 liberals

At least one non-affiliated Senator (Don Meredith) was appointed by Harper.
so it comes up to be a total of 13 senators. Weren't there a total of 15 members in the committee?And in a hypothetical scenario if the non-affiliates vote for the party which appointed them,then the last known composition to me was 8 liberals to 7 CONS.And with senator jaffer on board and frum out the latest composition should be be 9 to 6.Correct me if wrong.

marcher

Mar 30, 2016
HSD said:
so it comes up to be a total of 13 senators. Weren't there a total of 15 members in the committee?And in a hypothetical scenario if the non-affiliates vote for the party which appointed them,then the last known composition to me was 8 liberals to 7 CONS.And with senator jaffer on board and frum out the latest composition should be be 9 to 6.Correct me if wrong.
Sorry I corrected it above. I forgot to include the Chair and Deputy Chair; a con and a lib respectively.

HSD

Star Member
Mar 22, 2015
marcher said:
Sorry I corrected it above. I forgot to include the Chair and Deputy Chair; a con and a lib respectively.
So now we have 3 liberals to 5 cons and 7 independents out of which one is appointed by harper. For the CONS to block the bill like they did in second reading 2 out of 6 Trudeau appointees have to disagree with the bill.So unless liberals themselves bring any amendments to the bill and delay it for few more months it should pass this stages soon if committee meetings are scheduled.

MarceauBletard

Aug 12, 2016
Montréal, Québec
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Montréal, Québec
LANDED..........
18-05-2011 WHP
HSD said:
So now we have 3 liberals to 5 cons and 7 independents out of which one is appointed by harper. For the CONS to block the bill like they did in second reading 2 out of 6 Trudeau appointees have to disagree with the bill.So unless liberals themselves bring any amendments to the bill and delay it for few more months it should pass this stages soon if committee meetings are scheduled.
Ooohhh I'm getting excited! :) #Hope

But let's not forget this:
http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2016/12/26/ils-veulent-moderniser-linstitution-bapteme-de-feu-pour-les-nouveaux-senateurs
Les sénateurs Pratte et Petitclerc siègent en tant qu'indépendants depuis leur arrivée. Certains conservateurs les accusent toutefois toujours d'être à la solde des libéraux.
«Ce sont des gens qui appuient le principe libéral», plaide Leo Housakos, un sénateur conservateur.
«Ça me touche très peu, en fait. C'est ça, ma réponse! Ça prouve probablement que je ne suis pas vraiment une politicienne parce que je me dis: “Pensez ce que vous voulez!”» répond Chantal Petitclerc.
«Je suis reconnaissant à M. Trudeau de m'avoir nommé, mais à partir de ce moment-ci, je ne lui dois rien et il le sait», indique pour sa part André Pratte.

Meaning the Non-Affiliated senators appointed by JT made a point in the press that they might not necessarily vote for JT's bills.

HSD

Star Member
Mar 22, 2015
MarceauBletard said:
Ooohhh I'm getting excited! :) #Hope

But let's not forget this:
http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2016/12/26/ils-veulent-moderniser-linstitution-bapteme-de-feu-pour-les-nouveaux-senateurs
Les sénateurs Pratte et Petitclerc siègent en tant qu'indépendants depuis leur arrivée. Certains conservateurs les accusent toutefois toujours d'être à la solde des libéraux.
«Ce sont des gens qui appuient le principe libéral», plaide Leo Housakos, un sénateur conservateur.
«Ça me touche très peu, en fait. C'est ça, ma réponse! Ça prouve probablement que je ne suis pas vraiment une politicienne parce que je me dis: “Pensez ce que vous voulez!”» répond Chantal Petitclerc.
«Je suis reconnaissant à M. Trudeau de m'avoir nommé, mais à partir de ce moment-ci, je ne lui dois rien et il le sait», indique pour sa part André Pratte.

Meaning the Non-Affiliated senators appointed by JT made a point in the press that they might not necessarily vote for JT's bills.
We can only hope that the new appointees don't have any serious grudge against JT to hold back this bill.And even if they or the liberals want any new amendments to be introduced even then the whole senate stage process should complete within a fair timing of 2,3 months from now.
The Cons have already given their best ever performance of a delaying a single reading(2nd stage) for 4 long months.
Moreover I read somewhere that if the bill clears the committee stage then 3rd reading can be completed in only 1,2 days but again who knows.

marcher

Mar 30, 2016
HSD said:
We can only hope that the new appointees don't have any serious grudge against JT to hold back this bill.And even if they or the liberals want any new amendments to be introduced even then the whole senate stage process should complete within a fair timing of 2,3 months from now.
The Cons have already given their best ever performance of a delaying a single reading(2nd stage) for 4 long months.
Moreover I read somewhere that if the bill clears the committee stage then 3rd reading can be completed in only 1,2 days but again who knows.
I do not think any Senator holds a grudge. I believe they all vote based on their party's interests and personal beliefs and opinions. It is reasonable to assume their party's interest is similar to their personal beliefs hence the common support of the party's stand on various issues. For example, I disagree with Senator Frum and how she is anti-C6. But in reality I am sure she genuinely believes in her arguments, and is opposing the bill for worries about national security, rather than a grudge against anyone.