+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-6: Senate stage

dbss

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
wamapr said:
Let's hope we'll all be hit by a pleasant surprise and that the C6 will pass and be implemented by Canada Day 2017 :)
Not to burst the bubble but that's the same thing that was discussed last year's Canada Day.

wamapr

Dec 2, 2016
Well it doesn't really cost being optimistic and not to forget a lot of progress has been done since last Canada day on the C6, so let's chin-up!!

justinline

May 19, 2009
Not trying to be pessimist here, but what does senate needs to do to kill a bill. What will the process of killing a bill look like. Just curious.

septimius

Star Member
Sep 12, 2013
dbss said:
Not to burst the bubble but that's the same thing that was discussed last year's Canada Day.
Agreed, it's now been one year since the bill was introduced and we're still no where near passing not to mention the wait to come into force. This bill has advanced at the same pace as an asthmatic ant with heavy shopping.

monalisa

Dec 6, 2016
septimius said:
Agreed, it's now been one year since the bill was introduced and we're still no where near passing not to mention the wait to come into force. This bill has advanced at the same pace as an asthmatic ant with heavy shopping.
no dear your absolutely wrong, you have no idea about their process and their work. check the processing time of other bill, each took 12+ months

be calm .. let it go

No one wants to kill this bill,

punk

Feb 15, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I got this email today. Thought should share

McCoy, Elaine <Elaine.McCoy@sen.parl.gc.ca>
4:19 PM (15 minutes ago)

to me
Thank you, ______, for your email.

Having been briefed on Bill C-6 by the sponsor, Senator Ratna Omidvar, and listening to the debates so far, I have decided to vote in favour of this bill provided it is amended. The amendment I'd like to see would provide a neutral, arm's length review of any and all requests by the Minister or anyone else to revoke a person's passport. Such an amendment would ensure that the rules of natural justice are applied and that an opportunity for making equitable judgements is provided to Canadians.

Best regards, Elaine McCoy (Alberta Senator)

marcher

Mar 30, 2016
punk said:
I got this email today. Thought should share

McCoy, Elaine <Elaine.McCoy@sen.parl.gc.ca>
4:19 PM (15 minutes ago)

to me
Thank you, ______, for your email.

Having been briefed on Bill C-6 by the sponsor, Senator Ratna Omidvar, and listening to the debates so far, I have decided to vote in favour of this bill provided it is amended. The amendment I'd like to see would provide a neutral, arm's length review of any and all requests by the Minister or anyone else to revoke a person's passport. Such an amendment would ensure that the rules of natural justice are applied and that an opportunity for making equitable judgements is provided to Canadians.

Best regards, Elaine McCoy (Alberta Senator)
Thanks for sharing, that is very interesting. I just wanted to point out that Senator McCoy is not part of the Committee; so is she referring to the third reading vote?

punk

Feb 15, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
marcher said:
Thanks for sharing, that is very interesting. I just wanted to point out that Senator McCoy is not part of the Committee; so is she referring to the third reading vote?
Possibly. I have stopped following the bill on regular basis. This email came so thought should post it here.

Inlandoct2014

Star Member
Jan 13, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Oct 2, 2014
File Transfer...
SA, AIP : Jan 14, 2016
Med's Request
Jan 6, 2016
Med's Done....
Jan 9, 2016
Interview........
DM: FEB 4, 2016
LANDED..........
March 16, 2016
Thank you guys for your information.
I was wondering what would be included in this new law? All their claims or part of it ?!
I remember in the original claim from JT right after the election, it was for those people who were student or worker before permanent residency, 1 year will be counted. Is it still valid or not? Should we count on this or not?
To be honest, it will be very optimistic that they reduce 4 to 3 plus another 1 year as a student/worker !!!

Saga

Star Member
Feb 20, 2011
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15 September 2010
AOR Received.
26 September 2010
Med's Request
22 February 2011
Med's Done....
29 March 2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
12 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
19 April 2011
LANDED..........
26 May 2011
I have read the reply but don't fully understand what she means by arm's length review. Does she mean providing a complete and detailed review of a passport revocation request sent by the minister? (That is actually a good thing as they will make it harder to revoke citizenship)

ottawahd

Star Member
Apr 28, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Saga said:
I have read the reply but don't fully understand what she means by arm's length review. Does she mean providing a complete and detailed review of a passport revocation request sent by the minister? (That is actually a good thing as they will make it harder to revoke citizenship)
Hi
Arm's length means independent. In other words an independent review from an entity which is not directly part of government (in other words non-political) . Such examples of those are agencies boards, commissions and crown corporations. The minister or prime Minister is not allowed to influence their details of business.
For further information please Google "glossary of terms governor in council appointments canada"

Saga

Star Member
Feb 20, 2011
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15 September 2010
AOR Received.
26 September 2010
Med's Request
22 February 2011
Med's Done....
29 March 2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
12 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
19 April 2011
LANDED..........
26 May 2011
I other words that is a good thing as this will make it quite hard to review someone's case and strip him/her of citizenship

pk10

Star Member
May 29, 2010
I think in a few posts before someone mentioned there are 7 Conservative senators.

No, there are 6. http://www.parl.gc.ca/SenCommitteeBusiness/CommitteeHome.aspx?parl=42&ses=1&Language=E&comm_id=47

The rest are independents or liberals.

You need a 8-7 majority to get things done - so by the looks of things even if 1 independent swings to the opposition it'll be ok.

But if 2 swing .... problems occur.

Either way we'll now know in the next few months what the final verdict of this bill is.

Btw, I definitely dont like the fact that Sen Linda Frum is on this committee. She is fiercely against this bill.