Bill C-6: Senate stage

rezafc

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
I think we need to support Senator Jaffar & Omidvar as much as we can on Twitter, heart and retweet their tweets like Cons do for their senators!
Also do get on this tweet and have your saying: https://twitter.com/LindaFrum/status/852243617011957761

_MK_

Aug 20, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-01-2016
AOR Received.
09-04-2016
File Transfer...
23-06-2016
Med's Request
18-01-2017
Med's Done....
01-02-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
There are two possible outcomes tomorrow:

- Speaker rules in favour of the amendment and there is a vote. This amendment will be defeated. I believe there is enough support for the bill among the liberals and independents to do so.

- Speaker says amendment is out of order. I think this is more likely but we shall see.

As soon as one of the above two scenarios plays out, another amendment will be introduced. This will be regarding revocation of citizenship for terrorism. I do not know whether they will try to counter this with "Out of Order" like today or actual debate. Debate will continue into May.

Once the 4th amendment is passed/defeated, we will have at least one day of debate before final vote which will "pass on division".

thejkhan

Jun 5, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just as I expected. Conservatives are proposing radical amendments now, with hopes of reaching a compromise. And that seems very likely.

rezafc

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
_MK_ said:
- Speaker rules in favour of the amendment and there is a vote. This amendment will be defeated. I believe there is enough support for the bill among the liberals and independents to do so.
If the speaker rules in favour of the amendment, Bill-C6 is useless. We might as well stick to C-24. This amendment defines the core of the bill.

Just a thought

_MK_

Aug 20, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-01-2016
AOR Received.
09-04-2016
File Transfer...
23-06-2016
Med's Request
18-01-2017
Med's Done....
01-02-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
rezafc said:
If the speaker rules in favour of the amendment, Bill-C6 is useless. We might as well stick to C-24. This amendment defines the core of the bill.

Just a thought
Not really. It still has to pass the vote which I do not think it will regardless.
However it will mean that the Cons can keep proposing stupid amendments as long as they want.

If he says it is Out of Order, it should send a message that only real amendments will be considered.

rezafc

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
_MK_ said:
Not really. It still has to pass the vote which I do not think it will regardless.
However it will mean that the Cons can keep proposing stupid amendments as long as they want.

If he says it is Out of Order, it should send a message that only real amendments will be considered.
Good to know! Well I just hope the speaker says that magic OOO words! :)

tyl92

Apr 1, 2013
_MK_ said:
I agree 100% , it would deter them from introducing the other amendment since it will repeal bill c6 provisions . In the election platform it was all about : " A canadian is a canadian is a canadian "

Because tomorrow is the last sitting before break , they will be back on may 2nd which will leave them some time to debate and vote on the 3rd as supposedly they agreed on . However , should the other amendment be introduced and the current one be debated , the chances of vote on may 3rd are thin.

quasar81

Feb 27, 2014
_MK_ said:

if speaker let vote on it, it WILL pass. CONs know their game, Libs/Independents do not.

Remember, even if ONLY FEW Independents vote for it, it will pass. CONs know that.

Thanks why I said email/phone Independents. CONs are confusing them with their tactics.

quasar81

Feb 27, 2014
quasar81 said:
if speaker let vote on it, it WILL pass. CONs know their game, Libs/Independents do not.

Remember, even if ONLY FEW Independents vote for it, it will pass. CONs know that.

Thanks why I said email/phone Independents. CONs are confusing them with their tactics.
Senate Co-speaker Eaton is also Sponsor along with Frum of these amendments

Basically Amendments will be put to vote, and will pass.

thejkhan

Jun 5, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
quasar81 said:
Senate Co-speaker Eaton is also Sponsor along with Frum of these amendments

Basically Amendments will be put to vote, and will pass.
For sure it will pass. Idea is to force Liberals to reach a compromise on residency amendment.

monalisa

Dec 6, 2016
rezafc said:

Just a thought
Who is that speaker ?

Whocares

Sep 20, 2010
tyl92 said:
george furey
Speaker' rullings can be appealed to the Senate and be either confirmed or rejected by a vote. So whatever he does, it means nothing. The majority in the senate rules.

sincara

Sep 4, 2013
Can someone please post a complete list of the amendments drafted by the Cons? Is it most likely that the 4/6 will be retained?