+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-6: Senate stage

Richard11

Star Member
Apr 7, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi all if you look Bill c-24 and Bill c-6 in these tow links?
http://www.parl.gc.ca/LegisInfo/BillDetails.aspx?Mode=1&billId=6401990&Language=E

http://www.parl.gc.ca/LegisInfo/BillDetails.aspx?billId=8117654&Language=E&Mode=1

tomorrow is gonna be third reading and vote, on Thursday Royal assent , so congratulation every one and enjoy a glass of wine, and i am gona fill up my citizenship application hopefully Pre PR credit come to affect immediately so i can send my application on Friday, thank you and have good night

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Richard11 said:
http://www.parl.gc.ca/LegisInfo/BillDetails.aspx?Mode=1&billId=6401990&Language=E

http://www.parl.gc.ca/LegisInfo/BillDetails.aspx?billId=8117654&Language=E&Mode=1

tomorrow is gonna be third reading and vote, on Thursday Royal assent , so congratulation every one and enjoy a glass of wine, and i am gona fill up my citizenship application hopefully Pre PR credit come to affect immediately so i can send my application on Friday, thank you and have good night
Sorry to interrupt the wine mood, but the debate for third reading will start tomorrow. That doesn't mean it will end by then.

Bill C-24 passed the Senate quite uncontroversially: The second reading of C-24 took a single day, the second reading of C-6 took three months.

So don't use the progress on C-24 as an indicator of the speed of C-6.

MarceauBletard

Aug 12, 2016
Montréal, Québec
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Montréal, Québec
LANDED..........
18-05-2011 WHP
Richard11 said:

I love but your positivism, but reminder:

Sen. Mobina Jaffer‏ Verified account @SenJaffer Mar 6
@mego149 #C6 It will start tomorrow but it will still be a long process. Please contact your Senators #senca

Marceau⚽Blétard ⚜ ‏ @MarceauBletard Mar 7
@SenJaffer @mego149 Long like days, weeks or months? Any idea or guess?

Sen. Mobina Jaffer‏ Verified account @SenJaffer Mar 7
@MarceauBletard @mego149 Hopefully by June 2017 #c6

@SenJaffer @mego149 Oh wow. That's 4 months. If/when it gets Royal Assent, any guess how long it would take to get implemented Senator?

Sen. Mobina Jaffer‏ Verified account @SenJaffer Mar 7
@MarceauBletard @mego149 I do not know when it will be implemented. Hopefully soon. People have waited long enough #C6 #SenCa

Bad news is, we might have to wait up to 4 months to get the Royal Assent.
Good news is, it does not seem that we will have to wait too long for implementation after Royal Assent as per Senator Jaffer.

Senate sitting starts today at 2:00PM: http://senparlvu.parl.gc.ca/

Varangian

Mar 13, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-02-2014
AOR Received.
14-03-2014
Med's Request
05-09-2014
Med's Done....
19-09-2014
Passport Req..
15-02-2015
LANDED..........
13-03-2015
@mego149 #C6 It will start tomorrow but it will still be a long process.

Wow!!! "...but it will still be a long process" really sounds like the Bill just came to the Senate for the first reading today and they haven't been working on it since last year. Ideally, the last third reading is supposed to focus on discussion the amendments only (not the Bill itself) and finalize the whole process! Hope, we will see some progress very soon!

monalisa

Dec 6, 2016
MarceauBletard said:
I love but your positivism, but reminder:

@SenJaffer @mego149 Oh wow. That's 4 months. If/when it gets Royal Assent, any guess how long it would take to get implemented Senator?

Senate sitting starts today at 2:00PM: http://senparlvu.parl.gc.ca/
I asked question seems no one have an answer

if a cons senator decides to adjourn the debate can libs senator insists to continue a debate?

I am optimistic third reading will not be as second reading, i have a proof
see how the bill was transferred to 3rd reading immediately once new senators joined .

She meant long process cause of the holidays :'( :p

monalisa

Dec 6, 2016
Guys stop being negative, disappointed. I know sometimes you feel down and depressed. That's life sometimes its hard, specially for new immigrants, must go through lot of troubles, some has to go to college etc , some must learn new language.

I understand very well and I am sure that many new immigrants are more skilled and qualified than many Canadians who are born in Canada, but that's doesn't mean we must be negative and spread negativity here. you can nag with limits :p

Most jobs request to be citizenship, in an indirect way while some other jobs request security checks, you need to be in Canada minimum 5 years.

Even I had one friend works at an airport, because she is an immigrant she cant enter to all departments, only employees born in Canada has the access.

I believe this is one of the reasons they removed intention to live in Canada, some immigrants can work aboard then come back to Canada.

On other hand, Canada is very good for families, maybe singles struggle more. Also some other people are lucky ;)

MarceauBletard

Aug 12, 2016
Montréal, Québec
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Montréal, Québec
LANDED..........
18-05-2011 WHP
monalisa said:
I asked question seems no one have an answer

if a cons senator decides to adjourn the debate can libs senator insists to continue a debate?

I am optimistic third reading will not be as second reading, i have a proof
see how the bill was transferred to 3rd reading immediately once new senators joined .

She meant long process cause of the holidays :'( :p
I think they can adjourn, yes. I think that's why Senator Jaffer said it might take 4 more months of this.
I don't think it went to 3rd reading because of the new Senators but I might be wrong.

monalisa said:
Most jobs request to be citizenship, in an indirect way while some other jobs request security checks, you need to be in Canada minimum 5 years.

Even I had one friend works at an airport, because she is an immigrant she cant enter to all departments, only employees born in Canada has the access.

I believe this is one of the reasons they removed intention to live in Canada, some immigrants can work aboard then come back to Canada.
Very very true. Without Citizenship, you CAN'T get government jobs.
Even those from Service Canada's call centers that advertize "Permanent Residence" as a minimum, when they call you, they ask right away "Are you a Citizen?", if you reply "Not yet but I'm Permanent Resident like requested on the ad", they reply to you "Oh, sorry, you need to be a Citizen, apply again when you are"... ???

asifmehmood

May 28, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2008
Doc's Request.
Aug 2012
IELTS Request
Submitted with docs
File Transfer...
April 2011
Med's Request
Nov 2012
Med's Done....
Dec 2012
Passport Req..
31/01/13, received at LVO 04/02/13
VISA ISSUED...
25/02/13
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
Varangian said:
@mego149 #C6 It will start tomorrow but it will still be a long process.

Wow!!! "...but it will still be a long process" really sounds like the Bill just came to the Senate for the first reading today and they haven't been working on it since last year. Ideally, the last third reading Is supposed to focus on discussion the amendments only (not the Bill itself) and finalize the whole process! Hope, we will see some progress very soon!
I agree, there should not be adjourned, adjourned game in third reading; a few sittings perhaps end of March.
If there would be amendments April 13 - DONE?????
B+

Montreal101

Star Member
Dec 5, 2016
To all the women on this thread, wish you happy women's day
May today sitting get us a bit closer to the other side of the tunnel :D

Divine Favour

Star Member
Feb 22, 2014
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Accra
App. Filed.......
Dec 2013
AOR Received.
Jan 2014
File Transfer...
Feb 2014
Med's Done....
Nov 2013
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
May 2014
VISA ISSUED...
May 2014
LANDED..........
July 2014
can anyone let us know when they start discussing bill c6. can't listen in at work

egghead

Star Member
Sep 29, 2016
Folks, this IS moving forward. Slower than any of us wanted but it is going in the right direction and there really aren't any indications that it WON'T be passed. Last fall was frustrating but it moved in and out of committee fairly rapidly. The next few sessions will give us a good idea of how long, so let's just wait and see!

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
MarceauBletard said:
I think they can adjourn, yes. I think that's why Senator Jaffer said it might take 4 more months of this.
Legally, this is what happens:
1. Senator A speaks
2. Senator B can say "I wanna speak about this to at some later time, can we please adjourn the debate until then?"
3. Then the senate votes on the request of Senator B to adjourn the debate. The Senate would be allowed to vote against it which would imply "you either speak now or we vote on the bill"
4. If the Senate votes in favour of adjourning, then the Senate waits until Senator B wants to speak which can be days or weeks.

However, it is Senate courtesy that in Step 3, the Senate always accepts the request of Senator B. So while legally the Senate could vote against waiting, they never do because it is the custom to do so.

Edit: Here is the source
http://ottawacitizen.com/news/politics/kady-trudeau-is-literally-and-figuratively-running-out-of-time-in-his-new-senate

The important quote:
Unlike House debate, which automatically ends as soon as no MP rises to speak, the Senate takes a more – not leisurely, necessarily, but relaxed approach to such discourse. Unless a bill is truly time-sensitive – a supply bill, for instance, or, as a recent example, the court-required rewrite of Canada’s laws on physician-assisted dying – it’s rare for more than one senator to speak on a bill during one sitting.

Instead, senators are permitted – encouraged, even – to hit the pause button by requesting that debate be adjourned in their name so they can speak at a later time, although there’s no strict deadline on when that has to take place.

Like most parliamentary rules, it makes perfect sense in context – in this case, the Senate’s charmingly anachronistic practice of going through the entire order paper, or scroll, every day, rather than follow a pre-determined schedule, thus requiring each item to be debated, or “stood.”

Technically, an adjournment request requires unanimous consent, which can be denied, but that has rarely, if ever, happened in practice – and even if it was, such a challenge would trigger a separate debate that another senator could ask to have adjourned, and so on and so on, ad infinitum – or, at least, until the end of the session.

MarceauBletard said:
I don't think it went to 3rd reading because of the new Senators but I might be wrong.
I agree. The longest delays during the second reading were by Conservative Senators who adjourned the debate and then didn't speak forever. So it doesn't seem that it was a decision by the Liberals to delay the bill. But in the end, no one knows.

MarceauBletard

Aug 12, 2016
Montréal, Québec
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Montréal, Québec
LANDED..........
18-05-2011 WHP
Montreal101 said:
To all the women on this thread, wish you happy women's day
May today sitting get us a bit closer to the other side of the tunnel :D
I agree! Wish all the women (& trans-women and shemales and others) here a wonderful day!
You girls are terrific!
I hope you are treated like Queens today and all year-long!
Personally, I cook-clean-do the laundry at home and proud of it! :)
Good day monalisa! :)

FYI, right now, the Senate is also talking about Women's Day instead of #C6
They just mentioned Bill C-279 & C-16 in their opening statements.
Update 2:21: [Conservative Senator I suppose] just mentioned being proud of having demonstrated against local p0rn0graphy channel in Yellowknife...
Update 2:29: Talking about Bill C-37

Update: I have to leave the computer I'm at. I won't be able to listen anymore. I hope someone else is doing it too.