+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-6: Senate stage

tyl92

Apr 1, 2013
in order to not delay the bill any longer , sen. omidvar had decided to present the amendment at third reading rather than having it presented during committee stage so it will go to the HoC once senate is done with c6 for final approval and at the HoC , we are looking at a few days delay

At this stage , right now , the only thing we can do is hope for the best and that it passes quickly .
Let's be surprised !

MarceauBletard

Aug 12, 2016
Montréal, Québec
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Montréal, Québec
LANDED..........
18-05-2011 WHP
razerblade said:
Thanks for these!
You're most welcome! Instead of speculating, it's best to ask the Senators ;)
Bad news is, we might have to wait up to 4 months to get the Royal Assent.
Good news is, it does not seem that we will have to wait too long for implementation after Royal Assent as per Senator Jaffer.

tyl92

Apr 1, 2013
MarceauBletard said:
Good news is, it does not seem that we will have to wait too long for implementation after Royal Assent as per Senator Jaffer.
we will have the trend tomorrow and the following days i guess, if conservatives keep on adjourning the debate like they did during 2nd reading , but i tend to agree like another member said that it'd be smart to push it very quick since it is still fresh on the table otherwise it'll be then just like 2nd reading unfortunately.
Because i'm having a hard time trying to understand why would they still need a lot of time , Cons have blown all their "ammos" since feb 2016 when it was presented for the first time. 2-3 sittings should be enough , according to me , to wrap it up .

myyyyc

Star Member
Mar 7, 2017
It took very long in 2nd reading probably because liberals need to first appoint Senators for the vacant seats to ensure there is enough support for C-6. if you look at the voting results in the committee last week, without the support of the new members in the committee, the bill would be defeated and there is no chance it can pass third reading.

having said that, i see no reason why they can not quickly move this to third reading / final vote. And I don't know why some would think it will take months to receive royal consent. I hope the governor general is not on a long trip / vacation and he can quickly rubber stamp this.

tyl92 said:
we will have the trend tomorrow and the following days i guess, if conservatives keep on adjourning the debate like they did during 2nd reading , but i tend to agree like another member said that it'd be smart to push it very quick since it is still fresh on the table otherwise it'll be then just like 2nd reading unfortunately.
Because i'm having a hard time trying to understand why would they still need a lot of time , Cons have blown all their "ammos" since feb 2016 when it was presented for the first time. 2-3 sittings should be enough , according to me , to wrap it up .

hfinkel

Feb 23, 2012
LANDED..........
20-07-2014
myyyyc said:
And I don't know why some would think it will take months to receive royal consent.
I'm curious- how long did it take the royal ascent for C-24 to occur?

myyyyc

Star Member
Mar 7, 2017
hfinkel said:
I'm curious- how long did it take the royal ascent for C-24 to occur?
C-24 received royal assent the same day as it passed third reading at the Senate. Receiving Royal Assent does not mean the law would come into force there and then, it may take some time still. The ministry may need some time to roll out new application form/train their officials etc.

monalisa

Dec 6, 2016
MarceauBletard said:
Question
If a cons sen decided to adjourn, can any liberal sen decide to continue the debate ?

Because it the only way to continue debate , same as clause 2 when they voted

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
myyyyc said:
It took very long in 2nd reading probably because liberals need to first appoint Senators for the vacant seats to ensure there is enough support for C-6. if you look at the voting results in the committee last week, without the support of the new members in the committee, the bill would be defeated and there is no chance it can pass third reading.

having said that, i see no reason why they can not quickly move this to third reading / final vote. And I don't know why some would think it will take months to receive royal consent. I hope the governor general is not on a long trip / vacation and he can quickly rubber stamp this.
Royal assent usually is always given within days if not hours. In the worst case, the GG is out of country for some days for official business. But it's not like he leaves the country for three weeks and leaves parliament hanging :)

So while I agree with the consensus that it's hard to predict how long this third reading will take, I think we can rest assured that Royal Assent will be given immediately after.

I'm of course not talking about the Governor-in-Council Implementations since those dates are decided by the government. I'm only talking about the bill itself.

Free-Spirit

Mar 2, 2017
REPORT OF THE COMMITTEE
Tuesday, March 7, 2017
The Standing Senate Committee on Social Affairs, Science and Technology has the honour to present its
TENTH REPORT
Your committee, to which was referred Bill C-6, An Act to amend the Citizenship Act and to make consequential amendments to another Act, has, in obedience to the order of reference of December 15, 2016, examined the said bill and now reports the same without amendment.
Your committee has also made certain observations, which are appended to this report.
Respectfully submitted,
KELVIN KENNETH OGILVIE
Chair
Observations to the Tenth Report of the Standing Senate Committee on Social Affairs, Science and Technology (Bill C-6)
Language Exemptions
The committee observes a need for greater flexibility to allow exemptions to the language and knowledge testing requirements in order to obtain citizenship. While Bill C-6 makes changes to the age group that is required to take language and knowledge tests, there are other exceptional circumstances that can prevent a person from learning English or French which are not addressed by the bill. These circumstances may involve social, or physical and mental health factors. The committee heard that people from different socio-economic backgrounds have differential ability and capacity to acquire a new language. The committee suggests that the scope and accessibility of exemptions to language and knowledge testing should be reviewed with the goal of ensuring that applicants do not experience unreasonable delays or hardship to obtain citizenship.
Smart Permanent Resident Cards
During the committee’s hearings on Bill C-6, the committee was made aware that keeping a record of residency requirements would be easier with “smart” Permanent Resident Cards. The committee heard from one witness that the benefit of the smart card system is the maintenance of an accurate record of a person’s time spent in Canada would be kept. This will allow for more transparency on citizenship applications. Therefore, the committee urges the government to review and consider the implementation of a smart card residency program.
Fees
The committee also notes that citizenship application fees are rising at an accelerated pace. In February 2014, an individual application fee cost $100. Today, the cost is $530. This is more than a 500 per cent increase. There is an additional $100 right of citizenship fee. Altogether, the cost to acquire citizenship for a family of four with two minor children is $1,460. When extra costs such as language training and testing are taken into consideration, the costs are much higher. High citizenship fees can present a significant financial burden to potential applicants, and could act as a barrier for traditionally low income groups such as those with disabilities, single mothers and minorities. To ensure that potential applicants are not barred from citizenship based solely on their income, the committee advises the government to consider lowering these fees.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Free-Spirit said:
There is no amendment but just observations! Anyone can explain please?
The observations were made in committee. Observations are added to a report. These are FYI only, so they are there to suggest things to the government for future legislation. So they aren't affecting the current bill.

After the report with observations (that is what happened today) the debate on the third reading will begin (it seems that this debate will begin tomorrow, but how long it will last is hard to tell, see posts above). Any senator speaking in this debate can suggest and amendment to the bill, something like "replace clause 11 by ......"

Eggleton has announced such an amendment during the committee and Omidvar has announced it in the press. So it seems that as soon as Omidvar speaks she will move to amend the bill. This amendment hasn't been published yet.

So in other words: The committee itself didn't suggest any amendments but any senator can suggest one now and it seems that there will be one amendment suggested, based on tweets by the senators, comments in committee and a newspaper article quoting Omidvar.

monalisa

Dec 6, 2016
spyfy said:
So in other words: The committee itself didn't suggest any amendments but any senator can suggest one now and it seems that there will be one amendment suggested, based on tweets by the senators, comments in committee and a newspaper article quoting Omidvar.
Libs want to satisfy NDP, it was their request.
Anyways she meant long process because during
march 2 weeks vacation
april 2 weeks
may 1 week

Believe me, third reading will go so smooth,

Free-Spirit

Mar 2, 2017
spyfy said:
The observations were made in committee. Observations are added to a report. These are FYI only, so they are there to suggest things to the government for future legislation. So they aren't affecting the current bill.

After the report with observations (that is what happened today) the debate on the third reading will begin (it seems that this debate will begin tomorrow, but how long it will last is hard to tell, see posts above). Any senator speaking in this debate can suggest and amendment to the bill, something like "replace clause 11 by ......"

Eggleton has announced such an amendment during the committee and Omidvar has announced it in the press. So it seems that as soon as Omidvar speaks she will move to amend the bill. This amendment hasn't been published yet.

Let see tomorrow what will happened!

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
monalisa said:
Libs want to satisfy NDP, it was their request.
Anyways she meant long process because during
march 2 weeks vacation
april 2 weeks
may 1 week

Believe me, third reading will go so smooth,
I agree it will be smooth. Just how long it'll go that's the question.

monalisa

Dec 6, 2016
spyfy said:
I agree it will be smooth. Just how long it'll go that's the question.
If they want to defeat it, they could had done it long ago

Today during debate of 3rd reading of c210 she said that this bill had been defeated many times, since 50years they are trying to pass this bill

Order of the day updated
https://sencanada.ca/en/content/sen/chamber/421/orderpaper/103op_2017-03-08-e

C4 and c6 only third reading