+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-6, Messages between the HoC and the Senate, FACTS ONLY

Whocares

Sep 20, 2010
Just so you know: The Projected Order of Business is basically always followed to the T and C-6 wasn't on there. So there was nothing "skipped" today. In fact the government's motion regarding C-6 is not even in the order paper yet so there is nothing to be discussed as of now.

But this goes both ways: As soon as C-6 is on the POB, it will be discussed the very next day!
Any updates for Bill C-44? If this is passed then Bill C-6 will be discussed after.

AnilGurung

Nov 9, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPO-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2013
AOR Received.
09-07-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
30-1-2014
Med's Done....
05-02-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
19/02/2014
VISA ISSUED...
25/02/2014
LANDED..........
1/03/2014
Ok so 3 years. Why would you count the years when you were a student?
10 years - 3 years student = 7 years of properly contributing to Canadian economy.
back then getting pr/work permit was a different kind of thing. It kept getting flipped.
At first, it was you need 2-3 years proper experience then later it was switched to one.Processing times were horrid till they were proper for a year or two.
And when people were excited to finally be a Canadian Citizen, we got triggered again with the new years forfeiting every experience we had before PR (excluding being a student), now.. ask yourself, how would you feel?
You don't care but a lot of people who stayed legally and followed everything as per the books and law really wanted this to count.

Reactions: vancouverbc2013

oomuchi

Apr 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney/Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-10-2014
Doc's Request.
RPRF's Request :30-11-2015
Nomination.....
T4/NoA 2015 :Upfront end of July
AOR Received.
16-02-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
March 2015 to Ottawa
Med's Request
27-11-2015
Med's Done....
04-12-2015
Interview........
na
Passport Req..
14-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
18-12-2015
LANDED..........
09-01-2016

vancouverbc2013

Sep 20, 2013
E
10 years - 3 years student = 7 years of properly contributing to Canadian economy.
back then getting pr/work permit was a different kind of thing. It kept getting flipped.
At first, it was you need 2-3 years proper experience then later it was switched to one.Processing times were horrid till they were proper for a year or two.
And when people were excited to finally be a Canadian Citizen, we got triggered again with the new years forfeiting every experience we had before PR (excluding being a student), now.. ask yourself, how would you feel?
You don't care but a lot of people who stayed legally and followed everything as per the books and law really wanted this to count.

Exactly!!!! Thank you!

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
This is not a thread to discuss if, how and why anyone is disappointed in anything. It is also not a thread to discuss if, how or why someone deserves citizenship. Please discuss these things somewhere else and don't hijack this thread.

This is a facts only thread whose single purpose is to clarify factual questions regarding the progress of C-6 in parliament.

batterypk1

Feb 4, 2016
LANDED..........
June 2016

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
For clarity ... this means C6 is not yet scheduled? I read the past postings and thought I read c6 was next up ?
Yes, before the break, they announced that C-6 would be discussed on Monday. This was not the case. Instead they debated C-46 and C-45 which - before the break - they said they would deal with after C-6.

This is all the info that there is. It is still possible that C-6 will show up this week since the schedule is always just announced one day in advance. Please note that I used the word "possible" which does not imply any prediction on how likely it is that C-6 will be on the agenda this week.

I wish there were more facts to share but that's it.

As a side note, I emailed my local MP and instead of just telling them how important the bill is, I asked directly if there is any information on the schedule of C-6. While I'm not too optimistic, maybe I'll get some useful info out of it. If that's the case I'll share it here.

Kevn

Jun 1, 2017
Today, June 1, at 3:11 PM in the House of Commons, the Government House Leader Bardish Chagger mentioned, in response to a question as to the Government's plans for the remaining sittings in June, that next week (week starting June 5) the Government hopes to address C-6 after dealing with two other bills:

"Our hope for Monday and Tuesday is to send Bill C-45 to committee, and also to deal with report stage of Bill C-44. Other bills for next week include the Senate amendments to Bill C-6, the Citizenship Act;"

Kevn

This is a facts only thread whose single purpose is to clarify factual questions regarding the progress of C-6 in parliament.

Last edited:

JasFer

Mar 6, 2017
Today, June 1, at 3:11 PM in the House of Commons, the Government House Leader Bardish Chagger mentioned, in response to an opposition question as to the Government's plans for the remaining sittings in June, that next week (week starting June 5) the Government hopes to send two bills to committee and then to address C-6. (I'll link to the transcript once it is published.)

Kevn

Here it is:

Hon. Bardish Chagger (Leader of the Government in the House of Commons and Minister of Small Business and Tourism, Lib.):

Mr. Speaker, this afternoon, we will continue debate on the Conservative's opposition motion. This evening, we will proceed with Bill C-45, the cannabis act, at second reading.C-44, the budget. In the afternoon, we will return to Bill C-45.

Our hope for Monday and Tuesday is to send Bill C-45 to committee, and also to deal with report stage of Bill C-44. Other bills for next week include the Senate amendments to Bill C-6, the Citizenship Act; and Bill S-3, provided the bill is passed by the Senate.

Should time permit, we would also like some debate on Bill C-49, transportation modernization; and Bill C-24, to amend the Salaries Act.
We have had a conversation among House leaders. I look forward to continuing those conversations, and I will do my best to report to this House the information that I have, and we will do our best to work well together so that all members can do the good work that we are sent here to do.

Reactions: vancouverbc2013

Kevn

Jun 1, 2017
According to the Order Paper for June 5, today the government gave notice of a "time allocation motion pursuant to Standing Order 78(3)" for both C-45 and C-44. These are the two bills the Government House Leader Bardish Chagger indicated on June 1 would be dealt with before C-6. Under Standing Order 78(3), a "time allocation motion" seems to mean the government intends to curtail debate on C-45 and C-44.

While neither this Order Paper nor the Projected Order of Business for June 5 mention dealing with C-6 yet, the "time allocation motion" seems to be good news. At least the preceding two bills will complete debate in a time-limited fashion.

spyfy, do you have any comment based on your experience in Parliament?

Kevn

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
According to the Order Paper for June 5, today the government gave notice of a "time allocation motion pursuant to Standing Order 78(3)" for both C-45 and C-44. These are the two bills the Government House Leader Bardish Chagger indicated on June 1 would be dealt with before C-6. Under Standing Order 78(3), a "time allocation motion" seems to mean the government intends to curtail debate on C-45 and C-44.

While neither this Order Paper nor the Projected Order of Business for June 5 mention dealing with C-6 yet, the "time allocation motion" seems to be good news. At least the preceding two bills will complete debate in a time-limited fashion.

spyfy, do you have any comment based on your experience in Parliament?

Kevn

That is a good sign indeed. Normally the process is like this:
- Sitting Day 1 (= today, Friday): Government Leader gives notice of time allocation motion regarding a bill
- Sitting Day 2 (that would be Monday): When the bill is called for debate, the Government Leader moves that no more than one further sitting day shall be allocated to this bill. Then the debate begins and therefore the last sitting day that is allocated for the bill. At the end of the sitting day, the bill is voted on.

Note that C-44 is on the Projected Order of Business for Monday. That means the bill will finish its current stage on Monday. Note that this is the budget bill which is currently in the report stage. It will then still have to go to third reading.

C-45 is not on the list for Monday. But based on what Ms. Chagger announced on Thursday it can be assumed that C-45 will be called on Tuesday, the time allocation motion will be passed and the bill will be sent off to committee on the same day.

Note that C-6 will for sure not be debated on Monday. It is not on the Projected Order of Business and is rare if not unheard of that a bill is debated although it was not in the POB. The only exception being "emergency bills" where time is of the essence (And no, C-6 doesn't qualify for that as much as we might want it to).

Still, these time allocation motions mean that the government is on track regarding the schedule announcement they made on Thursday. This is a good sign indeed and makes the announcement that C-6 will be debated next week quite believable.

vancouverbc2013

Sep 20, 2013
Reactions: OakvilleON123