+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-24: can citizenship now be revoked for working/studying away from Canada?

polara69

Mar 9, 2013
asaif said:
The only way to know what the government is planning to use this clause for is to give it a try.

I call for someone who believes that this clause will not be used against new Canadians to volunteer to prove her/his point. Talk the talk and walk the walk. It is simple, just leave Canada and send an open letter to the government notifying them that since you are a Canadian citizen already, NOW you don't intend to live in Canada anymore, and let's see what happens :)
There is no legal requirement to let the government know that you are leaving, so your comment is already on shaky legs. But that is not the point. Read dpenabill's post, it is crystal clear and makes 100% sense.

asaif

Sep 3, 2010
London, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
alphazip said:
If this report is correct, it will be interesting to learn the contents of this new form: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/brand-new-form-at-the-oath-t305368.0.html
Unfortunately MUFC, you won't be able to pursue your plan to give them the "intend to leave" letter during the oath ceremony. Instead, they will give you a form to sign that can, and will, be used against you if decide to leave Canada after that.

asaif

Sep 3, 2010
London, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
polara69 said:
There is no legal requirement to let the government know that you are leaving, so your comment is already on shaky legs. But that is not the point. Read dpenabill's post, it is crystal clear and makes 100% sense.
I know that there is no such requirement. But I want to make sure that the government knows, after the oath, that he "intends to leave" Canada the same way they knew, before the oath, that he "intended to stay". Let's see what happens then. The whole dispute is about whether the government will prosecute those who change their "intentions" after the oath or not. I say they will, he says they won't.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
asaif said:
Unfortunately MUFC, you won't be able to pursue your plan to give them the "intend to leave" letter during the oath ceremony. Instead, they will give you a form to sign that can, and will, be used against you if decide to leave Canada after that.
Most probably they will know before that that I am traveling for pleasure only to many countries and resorts without the trigger of pursuing conventional work somewhere else.

So they won't find my absences suspicious because I am doing this travels on a regular basis ever since my first year here.

yr97

Apr 8, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MUFC said:
Most probably they will know before that that I am traveling for pleasure only to many countries and resorts without the trigger of pursuing conventional work somewhere else.

So they won't find my absences suspicious because I am doing this travels on a regular basis ever since my first year here.
See you said it yourself: "they won't find my absences suspicious".. As if it's the gov right to constantly monitor new citizen's movements to be able to judge their past intentions. Yes, I know, if I'm clean it shouldn't be a problem for me, most likely, but the idea that one citizen is subject to surveillance and another is not is disgusting.. Also, I'm sure that other citizens would have to constantly look over their shoulder as to not raise any suspicion, which goes against the mobility rights. So even if they don't revoke my citizenship, the fact that they look into it, doesn't suit me. It's like all new citizens are suspects of fraud by default.

asaif

Sep 3, 2010
London, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yr97 said:
See you said it yourself: "they won't find my absences suspicious".. As if it's the gov right to constantly monitor new citizen's movements to be able to judge their past intentions. Yes, I know, if I'm clean it shouldn't be a problem for me, most likely, but the idea that one citizen is subject to surveillance and another is not is disgusting.. Also, I'm sure that other citizens would have to constantly look over their shoulder as to not raise any suspicion, which goes against the mobility rights. So even if they don't revoke my citizenship, the fact that they look into it, doesn't suit me. It's like all new citizens are suspects of fraud by default.
+1

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yr97 said:
I was referring to the scenario if I deliberately give them a letter which shows that my intend is actually to leave Canada. In my case it won't hold water because they would know already the likelihood that I will be on the verge of another vacation outside of the country.

asaif

Sep 3, 2010
London, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MUFC said:

Good for you that you don't have to travel for work. Since I work in academia, it is usual (and sometimes required) for me to travel abroad for extended periods of time, either to do research in foreign universities, to work as a visiting professor, or just to spend a sabbatical year abroad. Based on what you said, I should be worried every time I accept such an assignment abroad that they will prosecute me for "lying" about me intention to reside in Canada. This proves what I said from the very beginning: the clause is here to put new Canadians ONLY under constant fear of losing their citizenship if they travel outside Canada any time after the oath.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
asaif said:
Good for you that you don't have to travel for work. Since I work in academia, it is usual (and sometimes required) for me to travel abroad for extended periods of time, either to do research in foreign universities, to work as a visiting professor, or just to spend a sabbatical year abroad. Based on what you said, I should be worried every time I accept such an assignment abroad that they will prosecute me for "lying" about me intention to reside in Canada. This proves what I said from the very beginning: the clause is here to put new Canadians ONLY under constant fear of losing their citizenship if they travel outside Canada any time after the oath.
So like you said it is usual for you to travel abroad because of your work assignments , so that means that you have already records of travels which can prove that you are NOT doing something unusual, therefore you got no reason to worry about.

sunnyjupiter

Apr 4, 2015
riasharma169 said:
the word INTENT applies for the 4 out of 6 years stay in Canada. How it is possible for someone to get a citizenship without having the intention to live here for 4 out of 6 years!!! Once you get the citizenship, you are free to work or study in any other country as a Canadian citizen. You will have freedom of move like every other Canadian have :)
wise words

yr97

Apr 8, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
riasharma169 said:
the word INTENT applies for the 4 out of 6 years stay in Canada. How it is possible for someone to get a citizenship without having the intention to live here for 4 out of 6 years!!! Once you get the citizenship, you are free to work or study in any other country as a Canadian citizen. You will have freedom of move like every other Canadian have :)
Are you guys not reading what others are saying ?! We all know that.. We all know that the intent applies for the duration of the 6 years prio to taking the oath. That's not the issue, the issue is, ur behaviour AFTER taking the oath can trigger a "flag" about that past intention during the application. Because the law gives power to the government to investigate ur intentions, and because it's an "intention", it means ur actions are always relevant, and monitoring them is justified. Which again makes ur a citizen on parole!

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yr97 said:
Are you guys not reading what others are saying ?! We all know that.. We all know that the intent applies for the duration of the 6 years prio to taking the oath. That's not the issue, the issue is, ur behaviour AFTER taking the oath can trigger a "flag" about that past intention during the application. Because the law gives power to the government to investigate ur intentions, and because it's an "intention", it means ur actions are always relevant, and monitoring them is justified. Which again makes ur a citizen on parole!
If there were 2 different Intend clauses that would be true.

The intend clause is only one, and it's valid until the Oath.

rayman_m

Feb 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MUFC said:

I don't think CIC will go after to those genuine people who found good job in overseas for specific period or re located for study and came back to Canada after certain period where their intention is clear to live in Canada. CIC will only look for individuals who got their citizenship under the new rule with ill motive to use Canadian passport as path to the visa free travel across the wold and has very little or no ties back in Canada.

yr97

Apr 8, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rayman_m said:
I don't think CIC will go after to those genuine people who found good job in overseas for specific period or re located for study and came back to Canada after certain period where their intention is clear to live in Canada. CIC will only look for people who got their citizenship with ill motive to use Canadian passport for visa free travel across the wold and has very little or no ties back in Canada.
Why is this an ill motive ? A citizen of a country doesn't have to live in that country. In fact this is guaranteed by the charter of rights. And if Canadians by birth have the right to do it, so should naturalized ones.

yr97

Apr 8, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MUFC said:

I replied to this before, over and over. The intend clause is valid until the oath, but u could be accused of misrepresentation about ur intent in that period after u become a citizen, based on ur actions or otherwise(like if u confessed or if someone reported you).