+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Better to apply under CEC or FSW?

moonpalace

Dec 26, 2012
Hi,

I'm working with a PGWP as a social service worker. I have accumulated 1200 hours and will soon have a full time position at my work (currently permanent part time).

I will ask my employer to do an LMIA for me and I am hopeful about this happening!

Is it better to apply as FSW once I get the job offer OR wait until I get 1560 hours of work experience and apply as CEC? I'm not sure which has more places/less competition.

This is all dependent on whether I get LMIA of course!

purplesnow

Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
you don't get to choose. Its a generic application that determines which you're eligible under and then puts you in that. the computer will put you in both streams if you qualify for more than one.

moonpalace

Dec 26, 2012
Thanks for your answer!

To do this will I need to be in a full time job that's a minimum of 30 hours/week or 37.5 hours/week? I hear different things from different sources, official and otherwise!

hariskhan

Aug 23, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CEC was the route for people who were lucky enough to enter Canada via temporary work visa, at a time when there were relatively no or less restrictions on it.

Now, Canada has imposed requirement of LMIA on temp work visa, or nearly all kind of work visa. So, its become nearly impossible to at least enter Canada, in order to work, to then later be eligible to apply for PR from inside Canada, be it under CEC or FSW/FST.

For those who are already outside Canada, they can't apply for CEC, and the FSW with job offer/LMIA has been made "near impossible", for the present. Not sure what the future holds.

moonpalace

Dec 26, 2012
I'm not outside Canada, I have been working here on a 3-year post graduate work permit since June 2014. My job will become full time (either 32 hours or 40 hours, I have a choice) and permanent soon, so my question was related to which amount of hours would be better to apply for PR (either CEC or FSW).

I'm going to request that my work go through an LMIA on the job that I already have.

hariskhan

Aug 23, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
For those who are already inside Canada, CEC is better choice. From what I read, it has less requirements than FSW.

Intocanada

Mar 18, 2014
hariskhan is right! Looks like people prefer CEC compared to FSW.
But I have less than one year experience in Canada. So I had to apply thru FSW.(I mean I got the ITA in FSW)

purplesnow

Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
like i said, it doesn't matter what's better, you don't get to choose your stream if you qualify under more than one.

moonpalace

Dec 26, 2012
So its arbitrarily chosen for me?

Regarding the hours - what is the minimum amount of hours I need for either?

purplesnow

Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
was i unclear in my answer earlier?
You answer generic questions when you're creating your EE profile. You don't get to choose a stream ,it determines what you're eligible for. If you're eligible under more than one stream you go in both.
Minimum work hours is 30 full time for both.

For FSW your work needs to be continuous & you need an ECA to be eligible. You also need to meet the fund requirement.
Under CEC your work doesn't need to be continuous to be eligible, but does need to be continuous to get the points. ECA is also not required under CEC, but you get no education points without one. No fund requirement for CEC.

moonpalace

Dec 26, 2012
I getcha, I was just surprised and a bit incredulous that I have no choice - government immigration websites seem to imply otherwise. Also, immigration is super stressful and sometimes its hard to get ahold of all the different strands of information. As I'm sure we all know.

Cheers!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
purplesnow said:
Minimum work hours is 30 full time for both.
Well actually ... this isn't quite right.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who-express.asp

EE, FSW, and CEC all accept the "full-time equivalent" of part-time work. Full-time = 30 or more hours per week, part-time is less than 30 hours per week. If you have part-time work experience, it can be used to qualify, but it will take longer than 1 year. For example, if you work 15 hours per week, it will take 2 years to reach the full-time equivalent.

But as purplesnow noted, even though CEC does not require the experience to be continuous, EE does.

Champ16

Star Member
Jan 29, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Full Time

30 hours/week for 12 months = 1 year full time (1560 hours)

Part time

15 hours/week for 24 months = 1 year full time (1560 hours)
OR
30 hours/week for 12 months at more than one job = 1 year full time (1560 hours)

You must show that you did the duties set out in the lead statement of the occupational description in the NOC, including all the essential duties and most of the main duties listed.

If you do not show that your experience meets the description in the NOC, we will not accept your application.