+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Being sponsored by spouse and now having a baby

sarlah

Jul 26, 2012
Hello,

Perhaps someone on here could give me some advice please. :) I am a US Citizen and my husband is a Canadian Citizen. We are going the Spousal Sponsorship route, and we applied some months ago, and he has been approved to sponsor me and now CIC is processing my application for permanent residence. We are expecting a baby together which is due next month. I've read that I need to contact CIC once our baby is born. (Btw, I plan to give birth to the baby here in Ontario, Canada) Could someone please give me a bit of advice on what all I need to do in regards to contacting CIC once our baby is born? I'm just wondering what all paperwork I may need to fill out, etc? (Note, I am currently staying with my husband on a visitor record while our application is being processed)
Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks,
Sarah

ashunandal

Champion Member
Jun 23, 2011
New Delhi
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 26, 2012
File Transfer...
May 1, 2012
Interview........
July 31, 2012 (approved) went "in process" same day
Passport Req..
May 10, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Visa stamped on August 3, 2012 and passport received back on August 13, 2012
LANDED..........
Oct 21, 2012
sarlah said:
Hello,

Perhaps someone on here could give me some advice please. :) I am a US Citizen and my husband is a Canadian Citizen. We are going the Spousal Sponsorship route, and we applied some months ago, and he has been approved to sponsor me and now CIC is processing my application for permanent residence. We are expecting a baby together which is due next month. I've read that I need to contact CIC once our baby is born. (Btw, I plan to give birth to the baby here in Ontario, Canada) Could someone please give me a bit of advice on what all I need to do in regards to contacting CIC once our baby is born? I'm just wondering what all paperwork I may need to fill out, etc? (Note, I am currently staying with my husband on a visitor record while our application is being processed)
Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks,
Sarah
If your husband (one of the parents of the baby) is a Canadian citizen, the baby will become a citizen automatically (if your husband was born in Canada or came to Canada as Permanent Resident). How did he get his citizenship? If he got it because one of his parents is Canadian citizen, the second generation (your children) will not be citizens unless they are born in Canada. Also, going to have your baby in Canada on tourist visa in itself will not give them Canadian citizenship. When the baby is born, you need to contact CIC right away regardless, so you wont have to put in another application to sponsor the baby for PR if they cant become a citizen right away. I think you should send them an email, or ask them at the CIC call center who to contact to inform them about the change in your family.
hope this helps and good luck :)

sarlah

Jul 26, 2012
Hello,
Thanks for replying! My husband's parents are Canadian by birth and so is my husband.

fhj1203

Star Member
May 18, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-08-2010
Doc's Request.
27-07-2011
AOR Received.
22-10-2010
Med's Done....
26-07-2011
Interview........
09-05-2012
Passport Req..
09-05-2012
VISA ISSUED...
09-05-2012
LANDED..........
09-05-2012
sarlah said:
Hello,
Thanks for replying! My husband's parents are Canadian by birth and so is my husband.
If the baby was born in Canada regardless of the status of the parents the baby will be Canadian citizen,even if the parents are here as a tourist or no status at all..
you will inform them in writing,send them a letter together with the baby's birth certificate..
have a safe delivery of your baby..

runningfree

Apr 3, 2012
hi sarlah,

sorry to hijack your thread but are you covered under OHIP? Only reason I ask is because my wife will be delivering a baby this December in Ontario and her application is still in process (90% sure it won't be done in time) and I was hoping you'd have some ideas about the costs of delivery in Ontario without OHIP. Thanks in advance!

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
ashunandal said:
Also, going to have your baby in Canada on tourist visa in itself will not give them Canadian citizenship.
This change has NOT been implemented. At present, ALL children born in Canada are Canadian citizens except those born to parents holding diplomatic status/passports.

If you read what the OP said, her spouse is a Canadian citizen AND she is currently in Canada. That means their child will be a Canadian citizen at birth, both by inheritance and by birth. All she needs to do is enclose a copy of her baby's birth certificate with a cover letter with their contact information and send these to the relevant CIC office once the baby is born.

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
CharlieD10 said:
This change has NOT been implemented. At present, ALL children born in Canada are Canadian citizens except those born to parents holding diplomatic status/passports.
THANK YOU!

sarlah

Jul 26, 2012
Hello again,
Thanks for the replies.
@runningfree: Don't worry about hijacking my thread, I've been having a hard time figuring out a dollar amount for giving birth in Ontario as well. I am not covered by OHIP yet as my application is still being processed. Anyway, I have been seeing midwives for my prenatal care and plan to have my baby in a birthing centre that is connected to a hospital. I've been quoted $1200 roughly for a 24 hour stay, that is if the midwives handle everything. I've been told that if there needs to be intervention by a doctor or something like that, obviously it would cost more. I'm due anytime now though, so hopefully after baby is born and I get my bill I can let you know how much it was.

Sarah