+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BC PNP for international student-my situation

FilipinoBadger

Dec 26, 2012
Hello all,

I am looking to gain my permanent residence here in Canada and would like to obtain information from those with experience and the ability to answer my questions. Here is some background information on my circumstance:

I studied at Thompson Rivers University for 4 years (from fall of 2007) and graduated in December 2011 with an undergraduate degree in business, I now have my PGWP which is valid until 2015.

Currently I am employed as a manager at Popeyes Supplements in Kamloops B.C., I have been employed since May of 2012 but have only been officially manager since October and it is now the end of December 2012.

Prior to my promotion I was being trained as manager and performing all the managerial duties I am doing now so technically you could say I was an assistant manager starting on July?

I would like to gain my permanent residence as fast as possible. Can anyone enlighten me on what my chances/speed of gaining my PR will be? Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!

anser0131

Star Member
Aug 23, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-09-2012
Doc's Request.
09-11-2012
Nomination.....
13-11-2012
AOR Received.
16-02-2013
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
24-05-2013
Med's Request
20-02-2013
Med's Done....
14-03-2013 "Med Received" 11-04-2013 "In Process" 10-05-2013
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
04-07-2013 "Decision Made" 08-07-2013
3 months for BCPNP - Strategic Occupations approval then 11 months Federal Approval. Or you could go with CEC, seems like CEC processing time is way shorter than PNP now.

If your employer supports you on the PNP application then I guess you could go with PNP. But if your employer is iffy about filling out forms and providing you with documents then you could go with CEC.

ThreeSquareImm

Star Member
Oct 26, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your NOC Code for the position of Retail Store Manager or even Assistant Retail Store Manager would be NOC 0621 - Skill Level 0.

Therefore you are qualified for both the Canadian Experience Class and the BC PNP. You will be eligible to apply for the CEC after you have accumulated at least 1950 hours over a period of at least 12 months. After you have filed your application, current CEC processing time is 13 months.

Filing for the BC PNP is a two-staged application. Therefore, for the sake of time and money, I would just wait until you have accumulated the necessary amount of hours for the CEC which should be sometime this summer and then apply for the CEC. In this regard, your boss won't be on the hook of sponsoring you and will just need to write a simple reference letter.

Hope this helps

absolute_zer0o

Star Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
Ottawa CPP
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
23 -03 -2012
Doc's Request.
05- 2012
Nomination.....
02 - 2012
AOR Received.
05 - 2012
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
05 - 2012
Med's Done....
05 - 2012
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
visa exempted
VISA ISSUED...
visa exempted
LANDED..........
31-08-2013
As the people responded above.
I fully agree with them.
Plus , I was at your situation. I am a reporter and I should be eligible for either PNP and CEC.
I went for the PNP root now I regret should be chosen the CEC.
First, since the buffalo office is closed, the PNP process is extremely slow. People wait more than 11 months plus few more months for nomination

secondly, the cost for pnp is 550 (provincial) + 550 (federal) + around 3xx more for medical checks and some other costs. The CEC however, is just 550 + 2xx (ietls) and 3xx (med check). so CEC is cheaper than PNP.

And the main reason i regret i didn go for CEC, because now I am tight down with the company i am working at, which means I am not able to change my job when i see a better opportunity. I have seen few opportunities passed by and I am not able to take my chances on them. Also, i need to watch my step, although its unlikely the company will terminate my employment, BUT, there is always a chance. keep in mind for PNP, your fate is held by the company, unlike CEC, its individual driven.

So as i told my coworker, who was considering PNP and CEC (we were in the exact situation), i strongly recommend you take the CEC route. it seem faster than PNP now, with many other benefits.

Bkkkk

Star Member
Jun 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Owatta
NOC Code......
Strategic Occupations
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07 Jun2012
Doc's Request.
02 Oct2012
Nomination.....
14 Feb2012
AOR Received.
18 July2012
Med's Request
18 July2012
Med's Done....
20 July2012
Passport Req..
6 Mar2013
VISA ISSUED...
Visa and PP: LOST
LANDED..........
13 May2013
Yes, I totally agree.

Me and my fd applied for PR at the same time this year. But, I applied under PNP, and she applied under CEC and PNP. She has already received her PPR from CEC. but she heard nothing back from PNP. Speaking of background check and stuff like that. We have similar background, mine may be even simpler. We even did our Medical exams just one day apart. and I am still waiting for my PPR.

If you have a valid work visa that keeps you going until the end of the PR process, please go for CEC. I didnt go for CEC because my visa was expiring. I needed PNP to issue me a new work visa. and now I am stuck with a closed work visa.

Good Luck.

absolute_zer0o said:
As the people responded above.
I fully agree with them.
Plus , I was at your situation. I am a reporter and I should be eligible for either PNP and CEC.
I went for the PNP root now I regret should be chosen the CEC.
First, since the buffalo office is closed, the PNP process is extremely slow. People wait more than 11 months plus few more months for nomination

secondly, the cost for pnp is 550 (provincial) + 550 (federal) + around 3xx more for medical checks and some other costs. The CEC however, is just 550 + 2xx (ietls) and 3xx (med check). so CEC is cheaper than PNP.

And the main reason i regret i didn go for CEC, because now I am tight down with the company i am working at, which means I am not able to change my job when i see a better opportunity. I have seen few opportunities passed by and I am not able to take my chances on them. Also, i need to watch my step, although its unlikely the company will terminate my employment, BUT, there is always a chance. keep in mind for PNP, your fate is held by the company, unlike CEC, its individual driven.

So as i told my coworker, who was considering PNP and CEC (we were in the exact situation), i strongly recommend you take the CEC route. it seem faster than PNP now, with many other benefits.

FilipinoBadger

Dec 26, 2012
ThreeSquareImm said:
Your NOC Code for the position of Retail Store Manager or even Assistant Retail Store Manager would be NOC 0621 - Skill Level 0.

Therefore you are qualified for both the Canadian Experience Class and the BC PNP. You will be eligible to apply for the CEC after you have accumulated at least 1950 hours over a period of at least 12 months. After you have filed your application, current CEC processing time is 13 months.

Filing for the BC PNP is a two-staged application. Therefore, for the sake of time and money, I would just wait until you have accumulated the necessary amount of hours for the CEC which should be sometime this summer and then apply for the CEC. In this regard, your boss won't be on the hook of sponsoring you and will just need to write a simple reference letter.

Hope this helps
Happy New Year everybody!!!

Thanks everyone for your replies, its been very informative.

My ultimate goal is to get PR as fast as I possibly can, regardless of what it will cost between my two options.

It seems as though you guys all feel I should apply through CEC for the reasons of that its more inexpensive and I wont have to be tied down by my employer.

You guys say CEC is faster, which is confusing because I thought PNP was supposed to be the faster route?

Assuming I apply now through BCPNP, I will receive my PR faster right? Especially with the CPPO-Ottawa office open now? Because if I apply now, I can get my nomination before the time it takes to accumulate the 1950 hrs I need before applying through CEC, right?

But the downside is if I lose my job, I am screwed.

However, If I decide to apply through CEC in the summer hypothetically, will I be able to leave Canada for an extended period of time(lets say september) without my application being affected?

Alternatively, if I choose to apply through CEC but start my application OUTSIDE of Canada, how smooth will that go over?

absolute_zer0o

Star Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
Ottawa CPP
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
23 -03 -2012
Doc's Request.
05- 2012
Nomination.....
02 - 2012
AOR Received.
05 - 2012
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
05 - 2012
Med's Done....
05 - 2012
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
visa exempted
VISA ISSUED...
visa exempted
LANDED..........
31-08-2013
Hey

To be honest, I dont think PNP is faster than CEC at this point
because the buffalo office has been closed mid last year and now all the cases have been transferred to ottawa

I did an interview with a immigration lawyer before, he said the CPP is a 'mess' now due to reconstruction and high workload.

And also the fed usually solve those PNP cases by the need of the province. BC has more than enough workers now . so this make PNP slower as well.

As I said, PNP SHOULD be th faster route, but unfortunately its not the case for now. In your case, I think with BC + Federal processing, its around the same with CEC /PNP. Coz it takes couples months with BC process as well.

To answer your second question, as long as you have a year eligible working experience, then you can leave the country no problem.

but make sure you hold a valid working permit to re-enter canada.

And if you do it at another visa office outside canada, then you are application might not be with CPP ottawa. Since CPP mostly deal with in-land application.

then you need to check the timeline for the visa office at the country that you are applying at.

FilipinoBadger

Dec 26, 2012
absolute_zer0o said:
Hey

To be honest, I dont think PNP is faster than CEC at this point
because the buffalo office has been closed mid last year and now all the cases have been transferred to ottawa

I did an interview with a immigration lawyer before, he said the CPP is a 'mess' now due to reconstruction and high workload.

And also the fed usually solve those PNP cases by the need of the province. BC has more than enough workers now . so this make PNP slower as well.

As I said, PNP SHOULD be th faster route, but unfortunately its not the case for now. In your case, I think with BC + Federal processing, its around the same with CEC /PNP. Coz it takes couples months with BC process as well.

To answer your second question, as long as you have a year eligible working experience, then you can leave the country no problem.

but make sure you hold a valid working permit to re-enter canada.

And if you do it at another visa office outside canada, then you are application might not be with CPP ottawa. Since CPP mostly deal with in-land application.

then you need to check the timeline for the visa office at the country that you are applying at.

Much appreciated Zero, that was a swift and relatively quick response that is answering all my concerns. So thank you.

Well in that case, I guess I better just go with CEC for the reasons you mentioned: my fate isn't in the hands of my employer, quicker and significantly more inexpensive.

I know patience is a virtue lol but to clarify at this point, am I still unable to make an application via CEC although I have technically had a NOC 0 occupation for the last 6-7 months? Is having 1950 hours ALREADY a definite requirement? Or equivalent of 1 year?

Considering that it takes months for them to process these applications, is it advisable to apply now so that by the time they potentially see my application, I be up to having that 1 year working skilled experience? Thats what my mother has been telling me to do but I want to get knowledagble advice first.

absolute_zer0o

Star Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
Ottawa CPP
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
23 -03 -2012
Doc's Request.
05- 2012
Nomination.....
02 - 2012
AOR Received.
05 - 2012
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
05 - 2012
Med's Done....
05 - 2012
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
visa exempted
VISA ISSUED...
visa exempted
LANDED..........
31-08-2013
FilipinoBadger said:
Much appreciated Zero, that was a swift and relatively quick response that is answering all my concerns. So thank you.

Well in that case, I guess I better just go with CEC for the reasons you mentioned: my fate isn't in the hands of my employer, quicker and significantly more inexpensive.

I know patience is a virtue lol but to clarify at this point, am I still unable to make an application via CEC although I have technically had a NOC 0 occupation for the last 6-7 months? Is having 1950 hours ALREADY a definite requirement? Or equivalent of 1 year?

Considering that it takes months for them to process these applications, is it advisable to apply now so that by the time they potentially see my application, I be up to having that 1 year working skilled experience? Thats what my mother has been telling me to do but I want to get knowledagble advice first.
Hey, you MUST wait for a year working experience. Technically you need to be eligible for the CEC the moment you sign your application. So I really recommend you not to submit in advance. if you want to submit in advance, I think the most you can take a chance to submit earlier in half month, and make sure you wrote the date on application as the date your eligible for CEC.

If somehow they process before you actually reached requirement your application not only be disqualified, (or the date signed indicated have not been reached yet).The back and forward just going to defer your application, this might put you in the position of dishonesty, which will give you more hassle.

I understand you want to obtain your PR asap, we are on the same boat.

I can't wait till i get the citizenship and go back to my home country and live with my family. I did a lot of research to find 'short cut'.

But in reality, only taken the process carefully will be the most efficient way, unfortunately.

FilipinoBadger

Dec 26, 2012
I see... Well apparently there is no quicker way but I guess that's how it all goes.. I much for the same reason as you, want to get my PR so I can again be with my family. It's tough not having been born in a first world country, these guys have it made so easy lol.

So assuming I apply for CEC perfectly in one shot with no mistakes, what kind of time frame can I expect out of them? You said your friend already has her PR through CEC and you are still waiting for yours?

FilipinoBadger

Dec 26, 2012
AruninBC said:
Hey EXPERIENCED Guys,

WoW..i found lots of useful information on this thread..In fact, i am on same boat as Filipino..Guys, Please go through my situation and shed some light on my situation..!

I am a 2yr diploma graduate from TRU, graduated on Dec 2011, Got my Post-Graduation Work Permit just less than 2 yr due to my passport expiry (Feb 2012-Nov 2013) but recently i renewed my passport. I started working officially as a Pub Manager from June 15, 2012.

Now..I am too in big confusion whether to choose BCPNP or CEC?????

BUT..I have to tell something here for everyone that what happened to me..Since i wanted to get PR sooner just like u all..I thought to/chose to apply BCPNP and applied last August just myself with so hurry. To get documents and cooperation from my greedy employer, i bent myself so much..although he hired for me for managerial responsibilities, he started demanding me to perform all the job when someone absent. My employer knew that i give more importance for PR and am completely dependent to him until i get PR card in Hand. His thought towards me was changed..since i felt so uncomfortable in that situation..I wrote a detailed letter to withdraw my BCPNP application and i also informed to my goofy boss indirectly..One lady program advisor called me and asked me to explain why and what happened..I replied with her that this company was newly registered and was not in operation for last 12 months, which the serious factor i found later and withdrawn before the refusal!!! but now i still work in same place and looking for another good job..So, after i saw this thread..now i am going to focus on CEC, but that is where now my questions arises..

- Can i get back my one more yr of Post Graduation work permit? is there option to apply?

Now, i am confident enough to go out and search for various skilled job through my friends network but i am scared to go under any kind of control that diminish my freedom and self respect while i am basically a very hard worker..

So, Please guys..there are some experienced members r here..Advice me that how can i get back my work permit with out need of LMO and prepare myself for the Successful CEC application?!

Thank looottt in advance!

Thanks Arun, we're all here to help each other learn. Its tough being an immigrant trying to gain some opportunity in Canada

Sorry to hear about your boss. What pub is it you work for?

It looks as though you have already applied through PNP and from what I can assume, it does not seem that you can just withdraw your application. If you quit your job, or find a different skilled job that is better, your PNP application will become invalid anyway. You also mentioned that the employer has not been in operation for 12 months yet? If I am not mistaken, I believe the employer you work for has to be in operation for 12 months at least and they need to have 5 full time employees (i think).

I also don't think that you can get 1 more year for your PGWP, but I could be wrong.

anser0131

Star Member
Aug 23, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-09-2012
Doc's Request.
09-11-2012
Nomination.....
13-11-2012
AOR Received.
16-02-2013
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
24-05-2013
Med's Request
20-02-2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
You can get the 1 year back for your PGWP or you can apply for the bridging work permit, either way it works. However, since you already have your new passport, why don't you get that 1 year back for your PGWP and then apply for the bridging work permit just in case your PGWP is going to expire during the application process.

If I had the choice, I would go CEC personally. But since I've already got my nomination and I wouldn't be able to apply for CEC for another 6 months, that's why I just went ahead and did BCPNP and I love working for my company.

FilipinoBadger

Dec 26, 2012
anser0131 said:
You can get the 1 year back for your PGWP or you can apply for the bridging work permit, either way it works. However, since you already have your new passport, why don't you get that 1 year back for your PGWP and then apply for the bridging work permit just in case your PGWP is going to expire during the application process.

If I had the choice, I would go CEC personally. But since I've already got my nomination and I wouldn't be able to apply for CEC for another 6 months, that's why I just went ahead and did BCPNP and I love working for my company.
anser, would you recommend applying through CEC or BC PNP?

It seems as though your PNP application was processed quite fast. How much effort does the employer have to go through to fill out forms, etc for you?

anser0131

Star Member
Aug 23, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-09-2012
Doc's Request.
09-11-2012
Nomination.....
13-11-2012
AOR Received.
16-02-2013
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
24-05-2013
Med's Request
20-02-2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
FilipinoBadger said:
anser, would you recommend applying through CEC or BC PNP?

It seems as though your PNP application was processed quite fast. How much effort does the employer have to go through to fill out forms, etc for you?
I would go with CEC.

My employer was extremely nice about filling our forms and providing me with the documentations. Took me about roughly a week to get all the necessary stuffs.

Have you mentioned to your employer about getting your PR yet? That's a good way to see if they are willing to support you on the PNP application. And if they aren't then your other options are to go CEC or FSW and that you still need a reference letter from your employer.