+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BC PNP Extended leave of absence

cdw_1983

Oct 8, 2019
Hi everyone,

I have received provincial nominee from BC under the entry level & semi skilled program and will be submitting my PR application to the IRCC in the next few days. My current permit has expired and I'm on implied status waiting for the result of my application for a bridging permit. I have a family member back in the UK experiencing a serious illness and I would like to visit and spend some time back there. I understand if I leave I won't be able to return and continue working until I have a new permit issued but will my nominee be invalidated by leaving for an extended period?

Thanks!

Jun 11, 2019
Golden, BC
Hi everyone,

I have received provincial nominee from BC under the entry level & semi skilled program and will be submitting my PR application to the IRCC in the next few days. My current permit has expired and I'm on implied status waiting for the result of my application for a bridging permit. I have a family member back in the UK experiencing a serious illness and I would like to visit and spend some time back there. I understand if I leave I won't be able to return and continue working until I have a new permit issued but will my nomination be invalidated by leaving for an extended period?

Thanks!
By a literal reading of the rules it ought to be, as one of the conditions of the BOWP is that you be in Canada. Realistically if you're not away for too long you're unlikely to get any grief over it - you'll just have to get a visitor permit if returning before it's issued, and the border staff at the airport can look up your other applications and see that they exist. So - you'd probably want to make sure that if you're putting them in that position they have something concrete to look at - ie don't just submit and then take off the day after, make sure someone's seen your application and at least made sure it's not so crap they should be throwing it out - but if you have that covered it's more a question of making sure that having a period in which you can't work won't cause you any practical problems.

For me personally, I left Canada for a holiday about a month before my BOWP 'should' have been approved and came back a month later, which was about a week and a half before it was actually approved, and my border experience amounted to saying 'ok, here's my situation, I'm guessing you're going to have to give me a visitor permit and instructions to sit around while the application's ongoing, can we make it quick so I can actually make my connection that's due in 15 minutes' and the CBSA bloke saying 'yep, pretty much, get a move on then' - per him it's a common thing and I think I was at the desk for about three minutes total. (Queue was about two hours, but that's another story...)

I imagine the experience might be a bit different if you're panicking over something or other (poor language skills, dodgy application, whatever) but it certainly can be a trivial thing.