+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Background Check

canadacanada17

Star Member
Mar 24, 2017
what are they actually checking in a background check and why does it take so long. Mine has been in progress for 3 weeks!
Does the amount of travel really have an impact?

Anyone care to share their stories with background checks?

Heathcliff77

May 2, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa VO
Doc's Request.
13-01-2017
AOR Received.
07-11-2016
Passport Req..
28-06-2017
Don't want to bum you but my background check has been in progress for 5 and a half months now. It can take anytime sometimes just a day and sometimes many months. Depends on many things

adrlim

Nov 18, 2016
Yes that's correct. There is a thread in the forum that explains this and it depends on your travel history, the countries you have been to, your country of origin, etc. So this can be a very time consuming process. Another thing to consider is it all depends on the officer on your case as it all depends on how satisfied he or she is before approving it. So again patience is necessary.

canadacanada17

Star Member
Mar 24, 2017
I see, my travel is only between the USA and Canada,,, but its a fair amount (quite a few trips!) Plus I am CEC, so not sure if that has anything to do with it.

fayezhu

Star Member
Apr 25, 2017
I see, my travel is only between the USA and Canada,,, but its a fair amount (quite a few trips!) Plus I am CEC, so not sure if that has anything to do with it.
same here, even though my background only changed last thursday. However, from previous cases, many people receive the final confirmation within a day. I only traveled between US and Canada only for leisure but many times for the past 10 year. I know we are pretty close to getting the golden mail, just trying to relax and be patient. Good Luck on your application

adrlim

Nov 18, 2016
yeah actually i travelled quite a lot when i was in my home country plus quite a bit when i was here too so i think it all depends. Also not sure if you are aware but for inland applicants we were told no need to have RCMP check. However I got asked for it and had to do it. Once that was done it went pretty quickly. Again different people experienced it differently so need to be patient. If you really want you can call CIC up to check. Some have done so just to get some answers

canadacanada17

Star Member
Mar 24, 2017
The wait is so hard! - Just looking at that 'in progress' for a month is a lot! I just want to know lol

Good luck all and if any changes... please update.

Inlandspouse

Star Member
Mar 23, 2017
Applied Inland.

In background check, do they ever contact the Principal Applicant's family in his/her home country ??
Or it is one of those checks where you won't even realise that you have been checked and they just check with the police ??

Thanks a lot

k.baer96

Jan 4, 2018
This isn't in regards to your question, so I apologize. But I was just wondering how long after your submitted your application did it take for them to request a background check? We're stuck not knowing if we can submit our Spousal Sponsorship application while waiting on police certificates or not.