+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Attending Virtual Oath Ceremony but apply Passport from New York

mack1982

Mar 10, 2014
Hi,

I reside in New York on a J2 Visa. My citizenship application was pending for two years. About a month ago, I submitted a web form inquiring about the delay, expressing concern that I might lose my PR status due to processing delays since I live outside Canada. IRCC responded that my application is in progress and that no documents are pending from my side. Today, I received an email about a Virtual Oath Ceremony scheduled for next week.

Due to the short notice and some of my other commitments, staying in Canada for an extended period will be challenging. I was wondering if it would be possible to travel to Canada for the Oath Ceremony and then return to New York. The citizenship certificate will be sent via email. Can I apply for The Canadian passport from New York? ( I am not a USA Citizen)

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
Yes it's doable. You can apply for a 1st passport from outside Canada, and you're not required at all to be a citizen of the country where you're applying from.

mack1982

Mar 10, 2014
I had my Oath Ceremony today. Once the ceremony finished, I emailed the Oath form, went out to grab a bite to eat, came back and downloaded by Citizenship certificate.
Everything went as shown in YouTube videos except:
- The Officer asked me that the application says that you live in New York. I said that is correct. He asked me to open my phone and show him my location in Google Maps. Google Maps and my hotel room (in the background) was enough to convince him that I was in Canada.
- He said I assume that you would like to get back to NY ASAP. I said yes. He said just finish the Oath Ceremony, and since I opted for the e-Certficate, and then I can leave. I can apply for the passport from New York
- He said generally it takes 5 days to get the e-certificate, but if you email immediately after the ceremony you will get it early. I got it the same day.

I used my PR Card and NYC driving license as my identiifcation.

The officer was very friendly, helpful, easy to talk to and above understood my problem without even me asking. He left a very good impression.

• Wow
Reactions: Anonymoustd