+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Are education requirements in NOC descriptions a "must have" to fill a position?

pmiklos

Aug 19, 2009
Hi,

The job description for software developer in NOC listing states (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/itw-jobs.asp#jobs5) that this occupation requires a degree or diploma with a computing element:

Minimum Requirements
1. Education: Bachelor's degree or a two-year post-secondary diploma or certification with a computing element.
My high education (MA in economics) does not have a computing element in the meaning of software development, however, I have 9+ years of work experience as a software developer outside Canada. Does it mean that I cannot be employed as a Software Developer in Canada? I suppose that an employer can apply me as a software developer without the computing element, however, the NOC description confuses me.

Thanks,
-Peter

ARK

Star Member
Jun 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: Are education requirements in NOC descriptions a "must have" to fill a posit

taking into consideration of personal experience of mine . I would suggest to do a thorough check with the NOC and the CIC sites and some googling for this since nobody would or are having a cross platform experience until one goes through it. I would suggest you to seriously think before making your move. since in the NOC it clearly mentions that you need to have a respective degree for the respective field for which you are applying.....

pmiklos

Aug 19, 2009
Re: Are education requirements in NOC descriptions a "must have" to fill a posit

ARK said:
... I would suggest you to seriously think before making your move. since in the NOC it clearly mentions that you need to have a respective degree for the respective field for which you are applying.....
Thanks for your answer, ARK. I have strong knowledge in software development as it's been being my profession for almost 10 years. So, you say that a canadian employer may not apply me in a Software Developer position just because the NOC says it is required to have a degree or diploma with a computing element? What if an employer does not care this education requirement, is it unallowed to them to employ me in that position?

-peter

ARK

Star Member
Jun 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Arranged employment would surely work for you..... Good Luck