+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Approved for PR - How to land with minor criminal record?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

I came to Canada as a Student back in 2012 and graduated in September 2015. I applied for my PGWP and was approved for 3 years until Jan 2019. I worked in an IT company for 2 years until Feb 2018 and started working in another IT company. Currently, I am inside Canada under visitor record.

On March 2018, I was charged with utter treat, assault which was filed by my ex-girlfriend. I was arrested by PEEL region police and the case is still pending.

On Jan 4th, 2019 before my expiration on my PGWP, I applied for a visitor extension(record) and was approved for 6 months until Aug 30, 2019 and currently my status is visitor record. On Jan31st 2019, I got an invitation to apply for PR under express entry. I disclosed all my pending criminal charges to CIC and they asked to complete fingerprinting and send it to them.

My criminal case is still pending, and I have a court date that I will need to be present in Brampton Court for the preliminary inquiry on Jan 21st and 22nd 2020.

Today Aug 6th 2019, I received a PPR letter from cic to send me my passport for my COPR. I am bit confused as to why my passport was requested at the moment while still my charges are pending? I already disclosed all my pending charges to CIC before I applied for my PR.
My Immi Lawyer advised to send the passport anyways. Please share your thoughts
Could be an error. You are right to think it’s weird. Even if you do get
PR you still need to consider your charge and it’s effect on your status. Sometimes CIC realize they make a mistake plus you have to worry about citizenship.

SUMO2385

Aug 19, 2019
You are seriously overthinking and worrying for nothing. If it was an issue, your PR app wouldn't have been approved. Simple as that. While CBSA may ask a few extra questions, you will not be refused landing.
Hello Canuk_in_uk,

I have dismissed charge from 2014 in the USA. My FBI document is clean with no records. Do I need to declare it while submitting the PR application?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello Canuk_in_uk,

I have dismissed charge from 2014 in the USA. My FBI document is clean with no records. Do I need to declare it while submitting the PR application?
The app asks about being arrested and you do need to declare that

SUMO2385

Aug 19, 2019
The app asks about being arrested and you do need to declare that[/QUOTE
Ok. Will that make my processing longer? I have case dismissed record from court.
How this will affect my application..All I did was come out of the small park through the fence since everyone was going through it when 4th July fireworks was over. I was not even aware officer was asking people not come through that.
Just for this simplest mistake he charged me disorderly conduct and then later completely dismissed it in the court without asking any questions. I have no prior or after criminal record at all