+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying visitor visa restoration after refusal of student visa extension

Sep 16, 2020
Hi, I’ve applied for an extension on student visa on April 23rd as the expiry date of my current student visa was set on July 25th. Today I’ve received an update from IRCC asking me to leave the country (I got Voluntary Departure Confirmation) as I’ve already graduated on September 8th and am no longer eligible to apply for another extension on my student visa.
So, I’m currently in Canada applying for my visitor visa restoration to be approved so that I can hopefully apply for PGWP again.
Do I need to leave Canada even though I applied restoration? Is there any specific dates that I need to leave here?

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
So you applied to extend your study permit, and then after you graduated last month, you applied for a PGWP? It's not clear what the timeline here is. You should theoretically be allowed to remain in Canada if you applied for your PGWP, irrespective of the decision on your study permit application. So what's this about a departure order, restoring your status as a visitor, and applying "again" for a PGWP? I think you need to call IRCC. You don't want to overstay a departure order.

Sep 16, 2020
So you applied to extend your study permit, and then after you graduated last month, you applied for a PGWP? It's not clear what the timeline here is. You should theoretically be allowed to remain in Canada if you applied for your PGWP, irrespective of the decision on your study permit application. So what's this about a departure order, restoring your status as a visitor, and applying "again" for a PGWP? I think you need to call IRCC. You don't want to overstay a departure order.
thanks for reply,

Actually I haven't applied PGWP yet since I was planned to apply after I prepare all necessary documents such as graduate certificate and student visa extension.
The timeline here is
4/23 - applied student visa extension
7/25- my student visa extension has expired
9/8 - I graduated university but I haven't receive the certificate yet.
9/28 - I eventually get the certificate
10/6 - My student visa has refused since I am not student anymore...
Then I call IRCC to seek out if I have any other options and I was advised to go back my home country and apply for visitor visa OR apply for restoration visitor visa in Canada. I will definitely call IRCC tomorrow to figure out if I can stay here since I've applied for the restoration...
I was wondering if I could wait for result of restoration or not.

Sep 16, 2020
I applied the restoration of visitor visa and PGWP with restoration student visa which are 605CAD in total.
So, I've call several IRCC officers to make sure whether I can ignore the voluntary departure order if I apply to visa restoration.
What they say was I can ignore the departure order for now and can stay in Canada and wait a result of visa restoration.
If my restoration was refused again, IRCC will send me a detailed instruction of departure order with specific dates.
It might be helpful info for those who are in same situation as me.

Reactions: dillym
Oct 10, 2020
thanks for reply,

Actually I haven't applied PGWP yet since I was planned to apply after I prepare all necessary documents such as graduate certificate and student visa extension.
The timeline here is
4/23 - applied student visa extension
7/25- my student visa extension has expired
9/8 - I graduated university but I haven't receive the certificate yet.
9/28 - I eventually get the certificate
10/6 - My student visa has refused since I am not student anymore...
Then I call IRCC to seek out if I have any other options and I was advised to go back my home country and apply for visitor visa OR apply for restoration visitor visa in Canada. I will definitely call IRCC tomorrow to figure out if I can stay here since I've applied for the restoration...
I was wondering if I could wait for result of restoration or not.
Hi
You mentioned that you graduated on the 9/8, do you mean you completed your studies?(By IRCC definition of completion of study, is when you received a letter of completion for your studies).

In addition did you notify in your application that you are applying for the extension because you want to apply for the PGWP?

I am surprised that you applied for the extension in April and got the result in October. That is almost 6 months compared to what is said in the website (49 days).