+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying Study Permit with family, need advice

Fhbas

Nov 3, 2021
Hello Experts and Senior Members,

I am going to reapply for Study Permit as my first application (together with family) was not successful, therefore right now we are building a stronger case and would be addressing VO concerns as we have ordered GCMS notes and right now are waiting for it.

A little bit of my background:

- married with 2 kids : applied SOWP and visitor visa for the kids
- studied 4 years double degree program (2002-2006) and received 2 bachelor degrees in 2006
- almost 15 yrs working in a bank (9 years of it being a branch manager)
- admitted to U of Windsor, Master of Management for May 2022 intake (total tuition fee for 2 years is around CAD 41,000), already paid tuition deposit of CAD 4,000
Already mentioned in my SOP that I would like to upskill my knowledge for better career prospect, as most C level execs or directors in financial institutions in my country requires Masters / MBA degree and currently improving the SOP as it was too long (3 pages) and need to make it sharper and more concise
- showed around CAD 80,000 in bank statement (mostly in Fixed Deposit / Time Deposit) under the name of my spouse and I and around CAD 15,000 pension fund, which could be withdrawn after resignation from the current job
- showed 4 property deeds around CAD 200,000 under wife's name (just recently sold one and would add around CAD 20,000 as proof of funds) and a vehicle under my name

Refusal reason:

- I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on the purpose of your visit.
- I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your personal assets and financial status

Please suggest me on our next step:
1. Apply for SP + OWP for spouse and visitor visa (or student visa?) for the kids --> we applied for visitor visa for our children as we read that children of study permit holder is eligible to study during the study period of SP holder
2. Apply for SP + visitor for the other family members --> if approved, is there any way to convert spouse visitor visa to OWP inland? or once the spouse is visitor, will remain visitor during the study period of SP holder?
3, Apply for SP and later on invite other family members?

Any inputs would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and have a great day!

FahadSINP

Star Member
Aug 22, 2020

I am going to reapply for Study Permit as my first application (together with family) was not successful, therefore right now we are building a stronger case and would be addressing VO concerns as we have ordered GCMS notes and right now are waiting for it.

- studied 4 years double degree program (2002-2006) and received 2 bachelor degrees in 2006
- admitted to U of Windsor, Master of Management for May 2022 intake (total tuition fee for 2 years is around CAD 41,000), already paid tuition deposit of CAD 4,000
Already mentioned in my SOP that I would like to upskill my knowledge for better career prospect, as most C level execs or directors in financial institutions in my country requires Masters / MBA degree and currently improving the SOP as it was too long (3 pages) and need to make it sharper and more concise
- showed around CAD 80,000 in bank statement (mostly in Fixed Deposit / Time Deposit) under the name of my spouse and I and around CAD 15,000 pension fund, which could be withdrawn after resignation from the current job
- showed 4 property deeds around CAD 200,000 under wife's name (just recently sold one and would add around CAD 20,000 as proof of funds) and a vehicle under my name

Refusal reason:

- I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on the purpose of your visit.
- I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on your personal assets and financial status

1. Apply for SP + OWP for spouse and visitor visa (or student visa?) for the kids --> we applied for visitor visa for our children as we read that children of study permit holder is eligible to study during the study period of SP holder
2. Apply for SP + visitor for the other family members --> if approved, is there any way to convert spouse visitor visa to OWP inland? or once the spouse is visitor, will remain visitor during the study period of SP holder?

Are you applying from your home country ?

Me_A

Star Member
Nov 16, 2021

Refusal reason:

I would advise you to get a registered ircc consultant, from purpose of visit you already said that you have served as a bank manager for 9years the vo might wonder what else do you want to achieve. Also from most cases I know students apply alone then invite the family later so as to show you have ties back at homr

Fhbas

Nov 3, 2021
I would advise you to get a registered ircc consultant, from purpose of visit you already said that you have served as a bank manager for 9years the vo might wonder what else do you want to achieve. Also from most cases I know students apply alone then invite the family later so as to show you have ties back at homr
Noted, thanks for the reply.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021

Refusal reason:

I guess purpose of visit is the main reason. VO is not satisfied leaving your current Management level position and move all family to Canada. That is where you need to address. By the way, did you order GCMS notes

Fhbas

Nov 3, 2021
I guess purpose of visit is the main reason. VO is not satisfied leaving your current Management level position and move all family to Canada. That is where you need to address. By the way, did you order GCMS notes
Yes, I suppose so, that is why I need to justify the need of pursuing further studies in Canada strongly in my SOP.
I Ordered GCMS notes and expecting to receive it in early December.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Refusal reason:

I wouldn’t be surprised if your funds may also show up in your GCMS notes. If many of your funds are not liquid and are in either fixed deposits and also a pension fund. If you include your family you come pretty close to exhausting all your funds by studying in Canada with your family. Funds for living expenses are underestimated in many areas of the country with high living costs and especially for families who can’y easily just rent a room to try to minimize their housing costs.