+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying now vs. waiting for express entry program

jonular

Sep 29, 2014
Thought I'd seek some feedback...Background information below and then a few questions:
1) My wife and I are both US citizens. We both have undergraduate degrees from Canada, and my wife has a second from another Canadian university.
2) I have about 16 months work experience in NOC 1111, qualifying for the CEC route. We are in Canada on a NAFTA work permit given my qualifying occupation (no LMO required), and the permits are valid until the very end of 2016 (starting April 2013).
3) My wife just began a new job, so has a month of experience in another "A" skill level occupation. She's cleared the medical exam so she can work with children in her role.
4) We have already written the IELTS exam; cleared that without any issues (although still smarting from being docked a point for the speaking category...).

I still have a handful of items to address on the CEC checklist, including the FBI records check and somehow I need to pull together records of our border crosses (we live near the border and have crossed very regularly since our university days began in 2007).

From my limited knowledge, it would appear that my wife and I would be strong candidates for the express entry program. However the details are pretty scarce. So my first question is: Are there any particular reasons I should go ahead with a CEC application now, or should I wait for the new program?

Second, does anyone have any knowledge on the expectations for records of border crossings? I fully expect CIC & CBSA's records to be far more accurate than any list I can come up with.

Thanks all.

skinnybob

Star Member
Aug 13, 2013
Regarding the border crossings, Im assuming you mean crossing by car. When we applied, we too were in the same boat (or car). We had probably crossed atleast a 100 times. we just created a spreadsheet with a very very rough estimate of when and where. Im sure its not as accurate as CBSA records. However there is no way they can expect us to have an accurate record of land crossings. So far everything is going okay. We finished our Medical check last month.

Regarding the question of CEC vs express entry. Is there any reason why you would want to wait? other than the FBI checks. You can send in your FBI checks later as well from what i understand. Your gonna apply so might as well earlier than sooner. Under the new express system, there could be hiccups, delays and unforseen circumstances as with any new system. The CEC has been around for a while. Under CEC they cant deny you. Under the new system, you are leaving the judgement upto them.

canvan14

May 8, 2014
Just my two cents. If you apply now you have chances with both the old and the new system. God forbid if your application got rejected under the current system, you still can apply under the new system later on.

MJ009

Sep 24, 2014
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-Apr-2014
AOR Received.
08-05-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Applicaation
Med's Request
12- Nov- 2014
Med's Done....
14-Nov-2014, Also paid upfront RPRF on 14-Nov-2014
Passport Req..
26-Nov-2014
VISA ISSUED...
12-Dec-2014
LANDED..........
22-Dec-2014
Hi, rules are changing frequently. In January we should be ready for lots of changes. Now this uncertain changes can be risky. So better thing to do is apply what you qualify right now. So at least you will receive aor. Once you receive aor these changing rules won't impact you. So I guess go ahead and submit your application. :) :)

jonular

Sep 29, 2014
That makes sense, thanks guys. I guess I just assumed we would qualify given our current employment in skilled positions and 7 year history in Canada by the time our current work permits expire. Can't hurt to just go ahead and get the application done though. Maybe if I get it in in December they'll have some extra incentive to work through the final applications...but that's just a mind game.