+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying Indian OCI for Minor child after parents becoming Canadian citizens

su.harish

Jul 18, 2022
Hi,
My wife and I were Indian citizens but recently became Canadian citizens. We are yet to surrender Indian passports. I want to apply OCI for my child born in the USA and he is a dual citizen (US and Canada).

Question: Can I apply for OCI for my child using my previous Indian citizenship status (Indian passport)? can I apply OCI for me, my wife and my kid all at the same time?

MS. Subash

Jul 27, 2024
Hi,
My wife and I were Indian citizens but recently became Canadian citizens. We are yet to surrender Indian passports. I want to apply OCI for my child born in the USA and he is a dual citizen (US and Canada).

Question: Can I apply for OCI for my child using my previous Indian citizenship status (Indian passport)? can I apply OCI for me, my wife and my kid all at the same time?
First, you must surrender your Indian passport and obtain a surrender certificate. Once you have the certificate, you and your family can apply for OCI (Overseas Citizen of India) status. For your child's application, you can provide the details of your surrendered passport as proof of ties to India. Since your child was born in the USA, you will need to get his birth certificate apostilled by the state where he was born.

Aishaadi

Star Member
Jun 15, 2021
Hi,

I am assuming you didn't apply OCI for your child already while you were in USA ? and applying now in Canada