+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for TRV while waiting for PR

Jessicacatmom

Oct 25, 2023
Hey everyone, I'd greatly appreciate your thoughts and opinions on my situation. So I'm currently on a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP). I received an ITA in the October 10 draw and have already submitted my CEC inland application. I was planning on staying in Canada while waiting for my permanent residence approval. However, I have something urgent that requires me to travel back to my home country, and unfortunately my temporary resident visa (TRV) has expired (from my study permit—I didn't renew it when I obtained my PGWP because I wasn't planning to travel). As a result, I'll have to apply for another TRV from outside Canada (in my home country) to return to Canada.

Do you think this will be an issue? I'm worried they may not issue me a new TRV given that I have a PR application in progress, despite I do have a valid work permit until 2025.
Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

Chasechs

Sep 11, 2019
Hey everyone, I'd greatly appreciate your thoughts and opinions on my situation. So I'm currently on a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP). I received an ITA in the October 10 draw and have already submitted my CEC inland application. I was planning on staying in Canada while waiting for my permanent residence approval. However, I have something urgent that requires me to travel back to my home country, and unfortunately my temporary resident visa (TRV) has expired (from my study permit—I didn't renew it when I obtained my PGWP because I wasn't planning to travel). As a result, I'll have to apply for another TRV from outside Canada (in my home country) to return to Canada.

Do you think this will be an issue? I'm worried they may not issue me a new TRV given that I have a PR application in progress, despite I do have a valid work permit until 2025.
Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.
There should not be an issue applying and getting it approved. The purpose of the TRV is for international travelling, and unless you have the COPR or PR card you will need it. Go ahead and apply for it, the only concern I see is not getting it approved before you actually get COPR. I'm not sure what the processing time is but hopefully you can get it in time to travel to and return before COPR.

Also note that if you are outside of Canada when they send you the portal 1 request, you will have to tell IRCC an exact return date for them to process the COPR when you are back in the country.

MFC123

Nov 7, 2023
There should not be an issue applying and getting it approved. The purpose of the TRV is for international travelling, and unless you have the COPR or PR card you will need it. Go ahead and apply for it, the only concern I see is not getting it approved before you actually get COPR. I'm not sure what the processing time is but hopefully you can get it in time to travel to and return before COPR.

Also note that if you are outside of Canada when they send you the portal 1 request, you will have to tell IRCC an exact return date for them to process the COPR when you are back in the country.
Is there any relationship between both applications? For instance, if I am waiting for my SS on the PR, they'll hold my TRV application in progress until they resume the SS?

Chasechs

Sep 11, 2019
Is there any relationship between both applications? For instance, if I am waiting for my SS on the PR, they'll hold my TRV application in progress until they resume the SS?
I have no clue what SS means. Only use acronyms that are known in immigration circles. You can't just shorten random words.

Chasechs

Sep 11, 2019
hey! thanks for your response. No problem! By SS I meant Security Screening
My point exactly, what you are referring to is the background check.........To the question, no the TRV will process independently of the PR application. However, they do ask during the TRV application process if your have a PR application pending. How much does this affect the process time (if at all) not sure.

MFC123

Nov 7, 2023
My point exactly, what you are referring to is the background check.........To the question, no the TRV will process independently of the PR application. However, they do ask during the TRV application process if your have a PR application pending. How much does this affect the process time (if at all) not sure.
thanks for your insights.
The background check has three different sub-activities: criminal record check, information sharing and security screening. GCMS notes indicate that the Criminal Record Check and Info sharing are complete. That's why I was only referring to Security Screening. Anyway, you were right. Permanent Residence Application background check does not affect TRV processing, because I got my Passport Request for TRV last Friday.

Chasechs

Sep 11, 2019
That's good to hear. Also keep in mind that once the COPR is issued the TRV will become invalid. If you are outside of Canada and using a VAC/embassy they will issue you PR visa for entry into Canada.

Reactions: SKGUG

SKGUG

Nov 29, 2023
That's good to hear. Also keep in mind that once the COPR is issued the TRV will become invalid. If you are outside of Canada and using a VAC/embassy they will issue you PR visa for entry into Canada.
Following your response, we got PPR for both TRV and PR, we don't see COPR document number in tracker, so we don't know if it was issued, if they request for passport for PR, does it mean the COPR has been issued as well? When they return the passport, does it include the COPR with it?

Chasechs

Sep 11, 2019
Following your response, we got PPR for both TRV and PR, we don't see COPR document number in tracker, so we don't know if it was issued, if they request for passport for PR, does it mean the COPR has been issued as well? When they return the passport, does it include the COPR with it?
Congratulations. If you have received PPR your are golden. When the VAC/Embassy gets the passports they will give you the PR visa and the COPR. You will see both when you get the passports back. The tracker is not always up to date, so don't worry about that.

Reactions: SKGUG

blackedwin

Dec 24, 2014
Hello,I’m currently inland and have a PR application currently going on,I received P1 email last week and responded,on my tracker is COPR document number.
I need to apply for TRV to travel home urgently to attend to an emergency situation and be back within 6weeks.

can I go ahead and apply and would this affect my current PR application

SamDam

Star Member
Mar 5, 2024
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
17-11-2023
Hello,I’m currently inland and have a PR application currently going on,I received P1 email last week and responded,on my tracker is COPR document number.
I need to apply for TRV to travel home urgently to attend to an emergency situation and be back within 6weeks.

can I go ahead and apply and would this affect my current PR application
I'm not quite sure about your case, but hope this helps

naidusuresh36

Feb 1, 2023
Hello everyone,

I am planning to apply for my PR through CEC, but my work permit is currently in implied status. I was supposed to receive 3 years of PGWP, but because my passport was expiring, I got it for one year. Now I have reapplied for my remaining years. However, my work permit extension seems to be stuck because I applied in August 2023 and there have been no updates since then.

When I try to apply through CEC, there is a question that asks, "Do you have a valid work permit?" Since my work permit is currently expired and I am on implied status, do I wait for my work permit to be renewed, or what option do I pick? There is no implied status on the drop-down menu; it's either an active work permit or expired.

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
Hello everyone,

I am planning to apply for my PR through CEC, but my work permit is currently in implied status. I was supposed to receive 3 years of PGWP, but because my passport was expiring, I got it for one year. Now I have reapplied for my remaining years. However, my work permit extension seems to be stuck because I applied in August 2023 and there have been no updates since then.

When I try to apply through CEC, there is a question that asks, "Do you have a valid work permit?" Since my work permit is currently expired and I am on implied status, do I wait for my work permit to be renewed, or what option do I pick? There is no implied status on the drop-down menu; it's either an active work permit or expired.
Select active work permit. If you invitation while waiting on implied status, submit letter of explanation along with work permit submission proof. Maintained or implied status is legal status.