Med's Done....
16/12/2011
Passport Req..
12/12/12
VISA ISSUED...
31/01/2013
LANDED..........
04/2013
Hi all, I'm trying to get all of the things done to send in for my three children's citizenship cards and I was wondering if I need to have a separate certified copy of my passport and birth certificate for each child or can I send just one copy of them for all three like I can with the receipt? Thanks!

Fencesitter

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 13, 2012
AOR Received.
AOR2 July 25, 2012
File Transfer...
July 13, 2012
Med's Done....
Mar 1, 2012
Interview........
WAIVED!
Passport Req..
Aug 28, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 24, 2012
LANDED..........
Jan 30, 2013
First of all they do not issue citizenship cards. What they give you is an 8.5 x 11 piece of paper that you cannot fold or laminate. It's kind of ridiculous.

As for the birth certificates, if your children were born outside of Canada, you will need to have the birth certificates translated by a certified translator. No need to have them notarized. You will also need to translate your marriage license. You will need to do this for each child (one copy of the translated marriage license should be enough, but ask just to make sure). The passport does not need to be translated if it is already in English or French.

When we applied for our son's certificate, the Consulate staff told us it would take at least 1 year. However, we received it in about 3 months. Not too bad. After receiving the certificate (same day), we applied for his Canadian passport. It took 1 month to receive...our son is now officially Canadian.

Make sure that the forms are filled in correctly...it's pretty straightforward.

Good luck and hope you can get it quickly!!

FS

Canooknic

Sep 20, 2010
England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
17th May 2011
No card? My boys received cards in 2009, is that a recent change? I had to send copies of the cards to apply for child tax benefit and had to take them to Service Canada when I got their SIN numbers in February. What do people do if they don't have the photo card anymore?

I sent one copy of my details for both of their applications, which I posted together in the same envelope.

Fencesitter

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 13, 2012
AOR Received.
AOR2 July 25, 2012
File Transfer...
July 13, 2012
Med's Done....
Mar 1, 2012
Interview........
WAIVED!
Passport Req..
Aug 28, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 24, 2012
LANDED..........
Jan 30, 2013
Yes, no more card with photo ID.

Well, my son has a passport now, so I guess that would suffice as his photo ID.

I really can't understand why his citizenship certificate wouldn't also have his photo. We submitted photos with the application...I wonder what they did with them??

I guess it doesn't really matter...he's a citizen, so shouldn't be any problems...and we'll get his health card with photo ID when we arrive in Canada...

FS

sabaniga

Star Member
Mar 19, 2012
Germany/Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin / Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-03-2012
AOR Received.
07-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-06-2012
Med's Done....
07-03-2012
Interview........
Not Requested
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
20-12-2012
LANDED..........
14-01-2013
Fencesitter said:
When we applied for our son's certificate, the Consulate staff told us it would take at least 1 year. However, we received it in about 3 months. Not too bad. After receiving the certificate (same day), we applied for his Canadian passport. It took 1 month to receive...our son is now officially Canadian.
Only 3 months! That is awesome, I can only wish our's comes as fast.

I have a question FS.

I sent my the apps for my childrens' cert. for cit. at the beginning of March. I sent it to the embassy and they forwarded it to Sydney NS.

Do you receive anything (news wise) from Sydney? Did Sydney send you cert. for your son? Or did the embassy?

Fencesitter

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 13, 2012
AOR Received.
AOR2 July 25, 2012
File Transfer...
July 13, 2012
Med's Done....
Mar 1, 2012
Interview........
WAIVED!
Passport Req..
Aug 28, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 24, 2012
LANDED..........
Jan 30, 2013
No news from NS. I contacted the Consulate after 2 months and told them to put a request to speed up the processing time (at the time I still thought it would be a year or more). Perhaps that helped to push it along, but I doubt it.

After 2 months I would contact the Embassy and ask...stay on them...

FS

sabaniga

Star Member
Mar 19, 2012
Germany/Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin / Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-03-2012
AOR Received.
07-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-06-2012
Med's Done....
07-03-2012
Interview........
Not Requested
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
20-12-2012
LANDED..........
14-01-2013
Fencesitter said:
No news from NS. I contacted the Consulate after 2 months and told them to put a request to speed up the processing time (at the time I still thought it would be a year or more). Perhaps that helped to push it along, but I doubt it.

After 2 months I would contact the Embassy and ask...stay on them...

FS
Thank you for getting back to me FS. I will do that. Berlin is going through some cuts and I do not want my kids apps to be put on the back burner. I need those things asap.

mameelynn

Oct 22, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo... I mean CPP Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/02/2012
Doc's Request.
06/06/2012
File Transfer...
03/07/2012
Med's Done....
16/12/2011
Passport Req..
12/12/12
VISA ISSUED...
31/01/2013
LANDED..........
04/2013
Fencesitter said:
First of all they do not issue citizenship cards. What they give you is an 8.5 x 11 piece of paper that you cannot fold or laminate. It's kind of ridiculous.

As for the birth certificates, if your children were born outside of Canada, you will need to have the birth certificates translated by a certified translator. No need to have them notarized. You will also need to translate your marriage license. You will need to do this for each child (one copy of the translated marriage license should be enough, but ask just to make sure). The passport does not need to be translated if it is already in English or French.

FS
why would I need my marriage license? I thought I would only need my Canadian birth certificate and passport...hmm... anyway.. I guess if I don't have to pay to have them notarized and just get them certified then it's not that big of deal... I just didn't want to have to spend another $150+ just to get triples of everything notarized.... Is there any way to get it prioritized without calling? I'm in the US and can't call the in Canada numbers and all of the US embassies say they don't deal with immigration info... kinda ridiculous seeing how on the CIC website they tell you to call your local office for any needed info on it...

canadiangirl78

Champion Member
Mar 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 21
AOR Received.
Mississauga: May 10, Mexico: June 4
File Transfer...
May 16
Med's Done....
Dec 21, 2011
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
July 6
VISA ISSUED...
July 13
LANDED..........
August 2, 2012
Fencesitter said:

FS
My baby got a laminated citizenship card.

canadiangirl78

Champion Member
Mar 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 21
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
May 16
Med's Done....
Dec 21, 2011
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
July 6
VISA ISSUED...
July 13
LANDED..........
August 2, 2012
I am confused. My baby got a citizenship card with her photo on it. Has this changed very recently? She is only 18 months old.

eval28

Sep 27, 2011
2 kids just got their cards in january. both are laminated and have their picture on one side with their info. and canadian logo on other side. i don't think i needed to send my marriage certificate, only my proof of canadian citizenship and the forms filled out for both child. good luck!

canadiangirl78

Champion Member
Mar 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 21
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
May 16
Med's Done....
Dec 21, 2011
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
July 6
VISA ISSUED...
July 13
LANDED..........
August 2, 2012
Yep that's what we got for my daughter. It's credit card sized. I wonder why fence sitter got a big paper with no picture? Odd.

Fencesitter

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 13, 2012
AOR Received.
AOR2 July 25, 2012
File Transfer...
July 13, 2012
Med's Done....
Mar 1, 2012
Interview........
WAIVED!
Passport Req..
Aug 28, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 24, 2012
LANDED..........
Jan 30, 2013
Changes came into effect in March 2012.

No more cards with pictures.

As for the marriage license, yes, they needed to see it at the Consulate...not sure why, as my wife is Chinese.

Anyways, prepare well and make sure not to forget anything...

FS

canadiangirl78

Champion Member
Mar 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 21
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
May 16
Med's Done....
Dec 21, 2011
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
July 6
VISA ISSUED...
July 13
LANDED..........
August 2, 2012
Hmmm that's interesting. I wonder why. I'm glad I got the card. She looks so cute! It's very handy.

Fencesitter

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 13, 2012
AOR Received.
AOR2 July 25, 2012
File Transfer...
July 13, 2012
Med's Done....
Mar 1, 2012
Interview........
WAIVED!
Passport Req..
Aug 28, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 24, 2012
LANDED..........
Jan 30, 2013
The card would be nice to have, but at the end of the day, it really makes no difference as both serve the same purpose. The thing I don't like is that it's now just a piece of paper and could be easily damaged. It states at the bottom of the certificate not to fold or laminate. Silly. Oh well, my son has his passport, and when he gets his health card, that will also have his picture, so no big deal.

Our government really does work in mysterious ways...not always for the good.

FS