+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply for Canada Express entry (while im on IEC)

offspring1984

Nov 19, 2014
Ok, this is my question, im about to graduate on Occupational safety and health, and on July, im leaving to Canada for a year under IEC (im from Argentina), hopefully graduated. Im 30 years old, married (my wife is coming with me, she has her own work visa under IEC). I want to know if there is any chance to apply for the Canada Express entry while im there (i hope i can get a certificate as a OSH worker)? Guys from the embassy here dont have a lot of information regarding CEE.

SMCANADAVISA

Oct 21, 2014
The quickest way to know whether you qualify or not is to read the CIC website on EE. Also, use the CRS calculator to find (it's on David Cohen's website also) how you are qualifying on various segments in terms of core human resource factor, education, work experience etc. Once you are passed these you would have good knowledge of your eligibilities for EE. For sure you can apply for EE from outside Canada. If you have specific questions, shoot and someone from the forum will help you.

arowberry

Nov 25, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-03-2014
AOR Received.
04-04-2014
Med's Request
26-09-2014
Med's Done....
03-10-2014
LANDED..........
27-11-2014
There are various routes to get to permanent residency and you're asking a particularly broad question, so I suspect you haven't tried reading about Express Entry on the CIC website. You should start here:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/express/express-entry.asp

It's a points based system, you can read through the points structure and assess how many you and your partner could expect to receive. With a one year permit, you are not going to qualify via the Canadian Experience Class route. The other options are Foreign Skilled Worker, Foreign Skilled Trades or Provincial Nomination. You should do research on those

No one can really tell you whether it's possible for you at the moment as the only people who have qualified for Express Entry so far have either been sponsored by their work (via an Labour Market Impact Assessment LMIA) or by their province of residence (Provincial Nomination Program PNP). If you can get sponsored, then you have a very strong chance, but this involves proving that there is not a Canadian available to do your job.

OddSituation

Dec 9, 2014
With a one year permit, you are not going to qualify via the Canadian Experience Class route. The other options are Foreign Skilled Worker, Foreign Skilled Trades or Provincial Nomination. You should do research on those
Are you sure? I ask because of the new rules for the Skilled immigrants (Express Entry) program (cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/index.asp) as of January, 2015.

The minimum requirements being: cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who.asp
Your work experience must be:
  • at least one year (1,560 hours total / 30 hours per week), continuous full-time or an equal amount in part-time,
  • paid work (volunteer work, unpaid internships do not count),
  • in the same NOC skill type (0, A or B) ,
  • within the last 10 years, and
  • at skill type 0, or skill levels A or B of the 2011 National Occupational Classification (NOC).
So assuming an individual had a 40 hour job in an A or B NOC field, and scored more than 67 on selection factors, wouldn't they qualify? I see no mention of this work experience requiring any other qualifying factors aside from NOC.

Or am I missing something?

arowberry

Nov 25, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-03-2014
AOR Received.
04-04-2014
Med's Request
26-09-2014
Med's Done....
03-10-2014
LANDED..........
27-11-2014
OddSituation said:
Are you sure? I ask because of the new rules for the Skilled immigrants (Express Entry) program (cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/index.asp) as of January, 2015.

The minimum requirements being: cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who.asp
So assuming an individual had a 40 hour job in an A or B NOC field, and scored more than 67 on selection factors, wouldn't they qualify? I see no mention of this work experience requiring any other qualifying factors aside from NOC.

Or am I missing something?
You need a year of work experience in Canada. I don't imagine many people work from the day they land until the day they leave; particularly on IEC visas where most people won't have a job in advance.

I don't believe I have ever read anyone actually doing this.

OddSituation

Dec 9, 2014
arowberry said:
You need a year of work experience in Canada. I don't imagine many people work from the day they land until the day they leave; particularly on IEC visas where most people won't have a job in advance.

I see. So seeing that a year is defined as 1,560 hours, under a 36 hr work week (which is average) they'd reach the minimum within <44 weeks of work. That leaves more than 8 weeks unaccounted to find the job, vacation days, sick days, stat. holidays.

So it might be theoretically possible, just not necessarily easy or yet observed. Yes?

arowberry

Nov 25, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-03-2014
AOR Received.
04-04-2014
Med's Request
26-09-2014
Med's Done....
03-10-2014
LANDED..........
27-11-2014
The 1,560 hours tends to refer primarily to those who have not worked full time during their time in Canada. In particular for those who may have been in Canada for at least a couple of years, but did not work full time during that period.

If your total work experience falls within 365 days, then you need to have worked at least 50 of the 52 weeks. You are allowed to not work for two weeks and still qualify for CEC, only if those two weeks were paid vacation whilst you were employed in Canada during that period.

Source:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/econ/cec/work.asp

Canadian Experience Class selection criteria - Qualifying work experience

Work experience need not be continuous under the CEC.

Applicants do not have to be employed at the time of application, but they must have temporary status during the qualifying period of work experience acquired in Canada [R87.1(3)(c)].

The “Employment Requirements” listed in the NOC occupational description are not applicable.

Any periods of self-employment or unauthorized work will not be included in calculating the period of work experience [R87.1(3)(b)]. A person who has worked in Canada without authorization has failed to comply with A30(1), and on that basis could be found inadmissible under A41.

Note: Work experience acquired while under implied status will be considered as eligible work experience under the CEC, provided the applicant continued to work in Canada under the same conditions as their original work permit until a decision was made on their application for a work permit extension.

An allowance for a reasonable period of vacation time will generally be made in calculating the period of qualifying work experience (e.g., a two-week period of paid vacation leave within a given 52-week period in which the applicant was engaged in qualifying work experience). An allowance for normal vacation time during a period of qualifying work experience cannot be used as a substitute or proxy for meeting the in-Canada element of the work experience requirement (i.e., work experience obtained outside Canada will not be considered as though the applicant had been on a period of vacation in order to be counted as part of the period of in-Canada work experience). While officers will account for a reasonable period of vacation time in calculating the period of qualifying work experience in Canada, each application is considered on its own merits with a final decision based on a review of all the information available to the officer at the time of decision.

pziegler1986

Star Member
Jan 19, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
arowberry said:

Australians have a 24 month IEC visa, with previously unlimited participations so long as we met the eligibility criteria. I am in the EE pool under CEC and will also be FSW once I get my ECAs from WES - my IEC visa expires in May but thankfully I can do one final participation of 24 months!

arowberry

Nov 25, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-03-2014
AOR Received.
04-04-2014
Med's Request
26-09-2014
Med's Done....
03-10-2014
LANDED..........
27-11-2014
pziegler1986 said:
Australians have a 24 month IEC visa, with previously unlimited participations so long as we met the eligibility criteria. I am in the EE pool under CEC and will also be FSW once I get my ECAs from WES - my IEC visa expires in May but thankfully I can do one final participation of 24 months!
Pretty sure Banff would collapse if Canada stopped being ridiculously friendly towards you Aussies!

pziegler1986

Star Member
Jan 19, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
arowberry said:
Pretty sure Banff would collapse if Canada stopped being ridiculously friendly towards you Aussies!
Hah! There are those of us who actually came to Canada to work in skilled positions as well ;)

arowberry

Nov 25, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-03-2014
AOR Received.
04-04-2014
Med's Request
26-09-2014
Med's Done....
03-10-2014
LANDED..........
27-11-2014
Of course :)

Similarly, I think the fruit picking industry in Aus would struggle for a while without the Aussies pimping their working holiday visa folk into doing it to earn a second year visa.

Picking strawberries in Tassie suuuuucked!

pziegler1986

Star Member
Jan 19, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Most definitely!

I also heard you can't work with the same employer for more than 6 months? Seems absurd to me.

arowberry

Nov 25, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-03-2014
AOR Received.
04-04-2014
Med's Request
26-09-2014
Med's Done....
03-10-2014
LANDED..........
27-11-2014
pziegler1986 said:
Most definitely!

I also heard you can't work with the same employer for more than 6 months? Seems absurd to me.
I guess it's to safeguard the Aussie job market a little. Though I do think the Canadian and Aussie programs have slightly different targets groups.

The majority of people on WHV's that I met in Aus, were kids. Lots of 18-23 year olds doing the gringo trail of a month in Thailand getting plastered before heading up the East coast of Aus working in the occasional bar or hostel. The crowd were unsurprisingly far more about drinking, but I would say that Australia is generally a bit more fun than Canada (in the young, drunk and in the sun kinda way).

I find Canada a bit more conservative and the IEC folk tend to be a bit older and have come to Canada to look for work and to stay in one place who a decent amount of time.

Obviously this is purely my opinion, based on time primarily spent in Calgary and Melbourne. I do find it a bit sad that I can't have a beer in public whilst have a BBQ in Canada. Or a beer whilst sunbathing by a lake in the Rockies. Miss those lazy BBQ afternoons in Melbourne...

pziegler1986

Star Member
Jan 19, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Where did you live in Melbourne? That's where I was born and raised.

Speaking of BBQs - I notice that the BBQs here are grill only - where are the bloody hot plates!!

arowberry

Nov 25, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-03-2014
AOR Received.
04-04-2014
Med's Request
26-09-2014
Med's Done....
03-10-2014
LANDED..........
27-11-2014
I was at a backpackers place on King Street and Little Bourke Street for far too long (Melbourne Connection). But I did eventually find myself a nice house in Brunswick, just off Princes Park.

I love living in Calgary because it's on the doorstep to the Rockies; but if I had to choose a place to live purely based on the city, it would be Melbourne every time.