+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applicant from PhD program after 5 Nov, 2011 connect here to get status

edwin83

Feb 8, 2012
Just got passport request. It seems they're not on strike ;)
Bad thing is that I have booked a flight to my home country. So I can only submit when back.

NeverGiveUp

Star Member
Mar 26, 2013
kaziahmmed said:
Hi could you please share your last GCMS report, how many points they awarded you and when did you got that last one. I got mine on April and I found they awarded me 73 points, 3 yrs work experience were counted, 9 points from adaptability, i have a Canadian masters and my wife had MBA from back home. Do u mind to share ur story :)
Guys, I got my GCMS notes today. It contains a serious warning for those who hesitate to update their reference letters.
According to these notes, an officer assessed my application against selection factor (in mid-April) and made the following recommendation.

“I have analyzed this application against the selection criteria for FSW and make the following recommendation:
Education: 25 points
Language: 16
No adaptability points for two years of PhD study.
PA claims following work experiences:
1- RA/TA (two years) at the University of ***. PA submitted reference letters which listed duties that do not match the lead statement and substantial number of main duties...
2- *** Engineer (4 years) at **** company. PA submitted reference letters which listed duties that do not match the lead statement and substantial number of main duties... ( a bit more details)
No other work experience claimed. PA has an equivalent 2 months of work experience (he accepted my TA not RA), less than 1 year=0 points.

Total points: 51 (Applicant does not appear to meet...)"

I sent them additional letters of reference providing more details for my both work experiences in May (will share them later). I think I was very lucky to find this forum. I myself am surprised, I got medical request a couple of days ago, but still in doubt if I really passed the selection factor or not!?

N_O

Mar 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-04-2013
AOR Received.
22-04-2013(PER)
NeverGiveUp said:
Guys, I got my GCMS notes today. It contains a serious warning for those who hesitate to update their reference letters.
According to these notes, an officer assessed my application against selection factor (in mid-April) and made the following recommendation.

“I have analyzed this application against the selection criteria for FSW and make the following recommendation:
1- RA/TA (two years) at the University of ***. PA submitted reference letters which listed duties that do not match the lead statement and substantial number of main duties...
2- *** Engineer (4 years) at **** company. PA submitted reference letters which listed duties that do not match the lead statement and substantial number of main duties... ( a bit more details)
No other work experience claimed. PA has an equivalent 2 months of work experience (he accepted my TA not RA), less than 1 year=0 points.

I sent them additional letters of reference providing more details for my both work experiences in May (will share them later). I think I was very lucky to find this forum. I myself am surprised, I got medical request a couple of days ago, but still in doubt if I really passed the selection factor or not!?
The same thing has happened with beh467! You were so lucky to send the updated letters after the application was analyzed but before the final decision.

kg.jadu

Star Member
Apr 25, 2012
NeverGiveUp said:
Yup. Same thing happened to me. Feels like rollercoatser. I should be receiving my new GCMS notes (ordered after a medical request) in a week or two, and then we'll be able to get a better insight into this situation and see if we have actually passed eligibility.

N_O

Mar 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-04-2013
AOR Received.
22-04-2013(PER)
NeverGiveUp said:
Would you please share your reference letters before and after?

NeverGiveUp

Star Member
Mar 26, 2013
N_O said:
The same thing has happened with beh467! You were so lucky to send the updated letters after the application was analyzed but before the final decision.
Ya, I believe so. Another issue that I overcame, was my POF issue. As I had a couple of large deposits ($ 5000, 6000, 10000) into my account after receiving POF request. Although all these amounts were my own money, my account balance was around $4000 at the time of POF request. Luckily, I had the proof and provided them with enough documentation to satisfy the officer that the large deposits were my own money which came from the financial support from my father.

kaziahmmed

Mar 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
4012 and 2142
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20th June, 2012
Doc's Request.
17th January, 2013
Nomination.....
3rd August, 2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
NeverGiveUp said:

Feels like I am in a shooting squad and hoping to the mighty God I could survive all the bullets...:(

DrImmi

Jun 7, 2013
Visa Office......
CPC-OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-05-2013
Doc's Request.
25-06-2014
AOR Received.
31-08-2013
Med's Request
26-06-2014
Med's Done....
24-09-2014
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
06-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2014
LANDED..........
31-10-2014
kaziahmmed said:
You better to wait until you get your PER/ your documents reach in your Visa office. I believe your file still in Sydney. Once you get your PER, wait for couple of Weeks or month and then send the updated letter both mail and email. Don't worry you still have to wait long long time to get a final decision, i.e. you will have enough time to update your reference letter(s).
Thanks kaziahmmed,

Today CPP-O replied back that my file is still at CIO and if I want to add more documents I can send it to Sydney but I will wait till my file is transferred to CPP-O.

NeverGiveUp

Star Member
Mar 26, 2013
kg.jadu said:
Yup. Same thing happened to me. Feels like rollercoatser. I should be receiving my new GCMS notes (ordered after a medical request) in a week or two, and then we'll be able to get a better insight into this situation and see if we have actually passed eligibility.
It actually is :) I ordered a new one too, for the same reason.

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
First: -03-2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
kaziahmmed said:
We all are very grateful to Asbereth who is still sharing his experience and giving informative advices with his best. Remember he is the only member (unfortunately) who is still with the forum even after getting his PR. I deeply understand all of us are very much involved in our professional life and don't get enough time to waste but I would earnestly request the successful applicants to visit the forum once in a while, at least once in a week (as long as possible). This would help the forum in many ways, such as whenever a successful applicant provide any suggestion (from his/her experience), then the in process applicants get some hope and can take the advise more confidently and reliably. So, please be with us with your convenient. Let's try to remember one thing, all of the helps we are getting today is becoming an archive of information for others (for tomorrow). Wish you all the very best with your application and for the rest of your life (for successful applicant).
I'm still here too, but I after Brazil I just got swamped with work. I'm presenting on a conference tomorrow and I haven't had the time to prepare the presentation yet. Neither have I landed as a PR yet! I'm kinda of running out of fundding soon so I'm not sure I will afford to contribute so much anymore if I don't find something else. :)

kaziahmmed

Mar 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
4012 and 2142
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20th June, 2012
Doc's Request.
17th January, 2013
Nomination.....
3rd August, 2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
TyrusX said:
I'm still here too, but I after Brazil I just got swamped with work. I'm presenting on a conference tomorrow and I haven't had the time to prepare the presentation yet. Neither have I landed as a PR yet! I'm kinda of running out of fundding soon so I'm not sure I will afford to contribute so much anymore if I don't find something else. :)
hehe.......thats a good call. Technically I didn't consider you who has done with their application process since I know you haven't land yet ;)). Nevertheless, it will be great great honor and kind to all of us with your extending effort. Thanks a lot Tyrusx :)

NeverGiveUp

Star Member
Mar 26, 2013
N_O said:
Would you please share your reference letters before and after?

N_O, Sorry for the delay. Here are my old and updated RA/TA reference letters.

Old letter (provided by the department):

“The purpose of this letter is to detail the duties and responsibilities of *** as a Research Assistant (RA) and Teaching Assistant (TA) in the department of *** at the University of ***.
Teaching assistants are required to perform teaching duties such as instructing in undergraduate laboratories, marking assignments and/or other duties assigned by the course instructor. Research assistants are required to conduct research under the direction of an academic staff member of the department. This work may or may not be related to the student's research or courses.”

Updated letter (provided by my supervisor who is also the chair of the department):

"The purpose of this letter is to detail the duties and responsibilities of *** as a Research Assistant (RA) and Teaching Assistant (TA) in the department of *** at the University of ***.

*** has been working as a RA under my supervision since he joined my research group in 2009. In general, his main duty as a RA is to assist me in research activities of my research group and carry out his PhD research project.

One paragraph details about my research project.

His duties as a research assistant include performing literature reviews, conducting research and assisting me to form guidelines for design standards and future research. The research activities include conducting analytical and numerical investigations using advanced engineering knowledge, and assisting me to further modify and verify the research results to be published in scholarly journals. Furthermore, he has been responsible for preparing research presentations and writing conference and journal papers in his area of research. He also assisted other researchers of my research group to conduct laboratory experiments, more specifically in the area of ****.
Mr. **** has also been assigned as a TA for the following courses:
His TA duties can be summarized as follow:
(just like the old one with a bit more detail)”

In both cases, there was additional letter from HR which detailed my employment duration, hours and salaries and not duties.

kaziahmmed

Mar 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
4012 and 2142
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20th June, 2012
Doc's Request.
17th January, 2013
Nomination.....
3rd August, 2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
NeverGiveUp said:
N_O, Sorry for the delay. Here are my old and updated RA/TA reference letters.

Old letter (provided by the department):

“The purpose of this letters is to detail the duties and responsibilities of *** as a Research Assistant (RA) and Teaching Assistant (TA) in the department of *** at the University of ***.
Teaching assistants are required to perform teaching duties such as instructing in undergraduate laboratories, marking assignments and/or other duties assigned by the course instructor. Research assistants are required to conduct research under the direction of an academic staff member of the department. This work may or may not be related to the student's research or courses.”

Updated letter (provided by my supervisor who is also the chair of the department):

"The purpose of this letter is to detail the duties and responsibilities of *** as a Research Assistant (RA) and Teaching Assistant (TA) in the department of *** at the University of ***.

*** has been working as a RA under my supervision since he joined my research group in 2009. In general, his main duty as a RA is to assist me in research activities of my research group and carry out his PhD research project.

One paragraph details about my research project.

His duties as a research assistant include performing literature reviews, conducting research and assisting me to form guidelines for design standards and future research. The research activities include conducting analytical and numerical investigations using advanced engineering knowledge, and assisting me to further modify and verify the research results to be published in scholarly journals. Furthermore, he has been responsible for preparing research presentations and writing conference and journal papers in his area of research. He also assisted other researchers of my research group to conduct laboratory experiments, more specifically in the area of ****.
Mr. **** has also been assigned as a TA for the following courses:
His TA duties can be summarized as follow:
(just like the old one with a bit more detail)”

In both cases, there was additional letter from HR which detailed my employment duration, hours and salaries and not duties.
hmm significant difference in two letters. Your previous letter didn't actually explain nothing about your research activities even the teaching assistant doesn't say assisting professors but seems still they had considered your TA at the beginning.
My previous letter had sufficient main duties but it was missing the so called bloody LEAD STATMENT .......grrrrrrrrrr, thats why I had to update and now in serious tension they will consider it or not. Although MP office said they updated it to my GCMS and praying to the God to my best ever in my life to survive.
Anyway......Today is my Application's First Anniversary .....;)

NeverGiveUp

Star Member
Mar 26, 2013
kaziahmmed said:
hmm significant difference in two letters. Your previous letter didn't actually explain nothing about your research activities even the teaching assistant doesn't say assisting professors but seems still they had considered your TA at the beginning.
My previous letter had sufficient main duties but it was missing the so called bloody LEAD STATMENT .......grrrrrrrrrr, thats why I had to update and now in serious tension they will consider it or not. Although MP office said they updated it to my GCMS and praying to the God to my best ever in my life to survive.
Anyway......Today is my Application's First Anniversary .....;)
To be honest, I had no idea how vital it is to provide a detailed reference letter. That's why I submitted such brief letters with my application last year (a typical letter that the department provides to all PR applicants).

You'll be fine dude, don't worry :)

N_O

Mar 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-04-2013
AOR Received.
22-04-2013(PER)
NeverGiveUp said:
To be honest, I had no idea how vital it is to provide a detailed reference letter. That's why I submitted such brief letters with my application last year (a typical letter that the department provides to all PR applicants).

You'll be fine dude, don't worry :)
Thanks for sharing your letters!

I believe there is no need to have the magical word ASSIST in the TA letter, as no one does these duties for himself, he should be assisting a faculty member. While its existence in the RA letter is vital, the officer wouldn't know whether you do the research for yourself or you do ASSIST your professor if you don't mention that.
However, I am going to add it even in my TA reference letter to be in the safe side.