+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apostille stamp confusion!? Is it required on notarized documents?

ll82

Star Member
Jul 28, 2015
Hi all,

I am sponsoring my wife in a outland application from Israel.

I know Canada isn't a part of the Hague Apostille Convention. But today, I went to go get a letter notarized, and they told me that I need to get an apostille stamp. First time I even heard of this. So naturally, I started to research it and I found conflicting information.

I know official, legal documents need to be notarized, but do they also need an apostille stamp? Nowhere in the guide does it mention the apostille stamp requirement.

I read about getting certain documents authenticated, such as the birth certificate. Israel is able to provide a birth certificate in English, so we don't need to translate or notarize, but does it need to be authenticated??

I even called the Embassy here in Israel, but they will only answer questions in person. I will try calling in the evening to the CIC, but they don't have a number that accessible from outside Canada. (ill try to figure something out)

I am really hoping someone can help. Our application is almost done and this small stuff is holding us back.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
(613) 944-4000

What type of letter are you trying to get notarized? If it's a letter from a family member, friend, or landlord (verifying your relationship and/or your joint tenancy) you most certainly do NOT need an apostille stamp. You only need the person who wrote the letter to present photo identification to the notary (or similar in Israel) to confirm their identity.

Even those in Canada that were submitting FBI letters from approved third-party Channellers (while CIC was allowing it...briefly) didn't need an apostille stamp.

Good luck!

apostillenet

Jan 8, 2016
Dear Ponga,

Canada is NOT a member Country of the hague Convention.

Please emial me I will be happy to assist you.

Luis Massieu
luis@apostille.net
apostille net