+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any possibility for TRV for my adult brother in law with Downsp Syndrome?

Markiemarcos

Nov 1, 2017
Hi,

Is there any chance my brother in law (who is a South African Citizen and has Down’s Syndrome and is cared for by my monther and father in law (who we hope to one day soon get super visas for) could ever possibly get a TRV to come visit us in Canada?
LFurther, is there any chance my wife and I could possibly ever realistically sponsor him for a PR to Canada even tho he has Downes Syndrome?

Thank you in advance for your your help and advice.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The chances of a TRV being approved are unfortunately very low - however you're certainly welcome to try. To be approved, he'll need to demonstrate he has strong ties to his home country and there are no plans on him remaining in Canada long term.

Your wife doesn't qualify to sponsor him for PR unfortunately.

Reactions: Markiemarcos

Markiemarcos

Nov 1, 2017
The chances of a TRV being approved are unfortunately very low - however you're certainly welcome to try. To be approved, he'll need to demonstrate he has strong ties to his home country and there are no plans on him remaining in Canada long term.

Your wife doesn't qualify to sponsor him for PR unfortunately.
Thank you so much for your reply!

Once my wife becomes a PR or eventually a Canadian Citizen, would there be a possibility at that time to sponsor her adult brother for PR or would he be ruled out due to having Downes Syndrome?

Thank you once again for your help.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you so much for your reply!

Once my wife becomes a PR or eventually a Canadian Citizen, would there be a possibility at that time to sponsor her adult brother for PR or would he be ruled out due to having Downes Syndrome?

Thank you once again for your help.
The only way your wife can ever sponsor her brother is if she first becomes a PR, and then sponsors her parents for PR and includes her brother as a dependent. To qualify to sponsor her parents, your combined incomes must meet the low income cut off for the size of your family - plus the people you are sponsoring for at least three tax years straight and she must be selected out of the sponsorship lottery (parent sponsorship is on a lottery basis and there are far more people looking to sponsor their parents than spots available). Even then, there's still no guarantee of approval. It's quite possible, if not likely, that CIC will end up classifying her brother as someone who will likely place a burden on Canada's health and social care systems - in which case the entire sponsorship application will be refused.

Long story short, it's a long shot her brother will ever be able to visit - even a longer shot that he will ever be able to become a PR. She can certainly try sponsoring him. However she needs to be aware that chances are very high he will never be able to come here.

Markiemarcos

Nov 1, 2017
The only way your wife can ever sponsor her brother is if she first becomes a PR, and then sponsors her parents for PR and includes her brother as a dependent. To qualify to sponsor her parents, your combined incomes must meet the low income cut off for the size of your family - plus the people you are sponsoring for at least three tax years straight and she must be selected out of the sponsorship lottery (parent sponsorship is on a lottery basis and there are far more people looking to sponsor their parents than spots available). Even then, there's still no guarantee of approval. It's quite possible, if not likely, that CIC will end up classifying her brother as someone who will likely place a burden on Canada's health and social care systems - in which case the entire sponsorship application will be refused.

Long story short, it's a long shot her brother will ever be able to visit - even a longer shot that he will ever be able to become a PR. She can certainly try sponsoring him. However she needs to be aware that chances are very high he will never be able to come here.
Thank you so very much for your honest advice! This (unfortunately) confirms our own assumptions and will help us in planning for his long term care.