+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Alternate To Employer Reference Letter

ak207

Star Member
Sep 16, 2015
Hello Everyone,

I am in a dilemma, There is requirement to get the reference letter from the previous employer, but 2 of my previous employers are out of business. I have the experience letters nothing else.

My question now I can't get a reference letter as there is no company, what are the alternate to proof the experience to claim the points. The reply from the persons who has faced this kind of issue will be really appreciated.

Thanks

JoacRy

Champion Member
Oct 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm in a similar situation where my first employer who I worked for 18 months for closed the business and retired. I did a sworn affidavit in front of a Notary Public stating time I worked there, capacity I worked in, duties undertaken, proof of the business de-registration from the government business database, proof the business de-registration for GST. I also included my tax returns, T4s, and employment contract.

Hope this helps.

Tanisha Kulkarni

Dec 1, 2014
Yes, I also did the same thing. I did affidavit on INR 500 stamp paper and got it notarised. I sought help from this forum and experts advised the same.

If any experts can guide here on this, will be grateful.

ak207

Star Member
Sep 16, 2015
JoacRy said:
I'm in a similar situation where my first employer who I worked for 18 months for closed the business and retired. I did a sworn affidavit in front of a Notary Public stating time I worked there, capacity I worked in, duties undertaken, proof of the business de-registration from the government business database, proof the business de-registration for GST. I also included my tax returns, T4s, and employment contract.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, but i don't have tax returns for the employer will experience letter and reference letter from the director will work

ak207

Star Member
Sep 16, 2015
Tanisha Kulkarni said:
Yes, I also did the same thing. I did affidavit on INR 500 stamp paper and got it notarised. I sought help from this forum and experts advised the same.

If any experts can guide here on this, will be grateful.
Hi Tanisha, What are the contents we have to mention on affidavit and what are supporting documents we have to attach. I don't have Tax returns for the employer as i was not eligible for filling. I have exp and payslips will that work or do i need something else.

Thanks

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
JoacRy said:

Hope this helps.
Self declarations won't be accepted. If this was done by an ex-colleague/supervisor instead of being self-declared, that would be accepted.

ak207

Star Member
Sep 16, 2015
JoacRy said:

Hope this helps.
And how to show the current employer experience, should we also get the reference letter from the current employer

JoacRy

Champion Member
Oct 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Asivad Anac said:
Self declarations won't be accepted. If this was done by an ex-colleague/supervisor instead of being self-declared, that would be accepted.
Hi Asivad, good to hear from you. First of all wishing you a good Christmas and New Year. I wanted to ask what you might suggest as I haven't kept in touch with colleagues from 10/yrs ago and business is closed down.

I am going to provide tax returns, T4 equivalents, employment contract, and payslips. Aldomcpmclusive evidemce the business is closed. What else can I do? Thank-you for your help as always.

cuwat

Star Member
Oct 5, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Asivad Anac said:
Hi Asivad Anac
If so, how about the company letter head and stamp?

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
JoacRy said:
Hi Asivad, good to hear from you. First of all wishing you a good Christmas and New Year. I wanted to ask what you might suggest as I haven't kept in touch with colleagues from 10/yrs ago and business is closed down.

I am going to provide tax returns, T4 equivalents, employment contract, and payslips. Aldomcpmclusive evidemce the business is closed. What else can I do? Thank-you for your help as always.
Unfortunately, none of those will help because your core document (roles and responsibilities) is self-declared. CIC won't accept that as a valid proof of work experience.

JoacRy

Champion Member
Oct 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Asivad Anac said:
Unfortunately, none of those will help because your core document (roles and responsibilities) is self-declared. CIC won't accept that as a valid proof of work experience.
In that case should I remove it from my EE profile?

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
JoacRy said:
In that case should I remove it from my EE profile?
Yes. Or you can leave it in there and provide whatever documents you have at your disposal. Either way, you won't be given any points for that work experience.

JoacRy

Champion Member
Oct 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Asivad Anac said:
Yes. Or you can leave it in there and provide whatever documents you have at your disposal. Either way, you won't be given any points for that work experience.
Thank you. I will leave it in there and include the following documents. The thing is I got my CA in 2008 after completing my CA exams and the Institute of Chartered Accountants verifying my experience. I will include the documentation I have because it's genuine and I want to be 100% transparent.

1) Notarized letter confirming company is closed and stating my duties, time I worked there how much I was paid etc and my position
2) Employment contract
3) Payslips for the 2 years I was there
4) Tax Returns confirming; amount on T4s', my occupation as an 'Accountant'
5) Copies of T4s confirming time I worked there and Gross amounts I was paid
6) Copies of extracts from national public business database confirming company de-registration
7) Copies of extracts from national public database confirming company de-registration for Income Tax and GST purposes
Cool Copies from the Institute of Chartered Accountants public database confirming the company is no longer operating as an actively registered Chartered Accounting firm
9) Copies of Google searches and LinkedIn searches showing no result when I enter the name of my former boss
10) Copies of bank statements filtered to show net salary amounts going into my bank account
11) Copies of documentation showing work I performed which was verified by the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia, and CPA Ontario prior to obtaining my accounting designations

ak207

Star Member
Sep 16, 2015
Asivad Anac said:
Hi Asivad, you mean. I can't claims the points for the my closed Employer, is there is any way around as if i remove i will not be eligible for the EE

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ak207 said:
Hi Asivad, you mean. I can't claims the points for the my closed Employer, is there is any way around as if i remove i will not be eligible for the EE
You can claim points regardless of the employer's current status. You will need a valid work reference letter which mentions your employment details including job responsibilities (which closely match the chosen NOC) or a notarized declaration from ex-colleague/supervisor along with other evidences of employment.