+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

AINP Opportunity Stream

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
So you're saying I can't leave this employer even when I get the OWP? What happens if I do?
The AINP-AOS is a job offer stream, not like AINP-Express Entry that doesn’t require job offer. The whole point of having a job offer from your employer is that your employer has a worker and you get PR with having the job offer and working for that employer. If you leave the employer anytime during the process, you must notify AINP who will give you time to get a new job offer and employer willing to support your application and nomination. Or your employer, who is part of your process, can notify AINP to cancel application if no longer there. Your employer may or may not be interviewed/contacted during the process to verify job offer and eligibility.

What type of open work permit are you on to be eligible for AOS?

Heather Lee

Star Member
Jan 16, 2023
Heather Lee besides the new OWP policy they just announced, The IRCC website mentioned this when the announced that they are going to stop flagpoling for PGWP. note bolded paragraph
  • Other recent measures to address flagpoling have included
    • speeding up processing times for in-Canada work permit applications
    • simplifying online application forms and processes so foreign nationals can continue working while they wait for a decision on their new application
    • authorizing workers to start working for a new employer right away, rather than waiting to have their new work permit application processed before changing jobs
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/settle-setablir-eng.html
The above website mentions:
Need to renew your work or study permit? Extend your temporary resident status? Confirm your permanent residence? Immigration services at the border are meant for individuals arriving in Canada, not for those already here. Plan ahead and use online services.
Some temporary residents of Canada leave Canada and re-enter within 24 hours to receive immigration services. This is called “flagpoling.” If you are already in Canada, you should use IRCC's online immigration services.

If you decide to come to a port of entry for immigration services, you may find long lineups and your turn may not come before the end of service hours.

To get an OWP permit, you have to fall under the LMIA exempt categories: if those do not apply to you, I do not see you getting an OWP unless you wait for the new policies and get a support letter from your province.
Refugee claimants and those under an unenforceable removal order [R206(a) or (b) – code S61 or S62]Checked
Applicants for permanent residence from within Canada [R207 – code A70]Checked
Open work permit for vulnerable workers [R207.1 – code A72]Checked
Humanitarian reasons [R208(a) or (b) – code H81 or H82]Checked
International Experience Canada (IEC): Working Holiday participants [R205(b) – code C21] (there are also specific recognized organizations whose participants receive open work permits)CheckedFootnote*Footnote**
Family members of Military personnel [R205(b) – code C20, where a reciprocal agreement exists or R205(c)(ii) – code C41/C46 or C47/C48, where is no reciprocal agreementCheckedChecked Footnote***Checked
Family members of foreign representatives [R205(b) – code C20]CheckedCheckedChecked
Professional athletes who are authorized to enter Canada on the basis of paragraph R205(b) – code C26 and who require other work to support themselves while playing for a Canadian team (for instance, as part of the Canadian Football League)CheckedCheckedChecked
Family members of temporary workers who are
  • high-skilled workers [R205(c) – code C41]
  • low-skilled workers [R205(c)(ii) – code C47 and C48]
  • economic class permanent resident applicants who were nominated or selected by a province [R205(c)(ii) – code C49]
CheckedCheckedChecked
Spouses or common-law partners of study permit holders [R205(c) – code C42]CheckedCheckedChecked
Bridging open work permits [R205(a) – code A75]Checked
Public policy for spouse or common-law partner in Canada class or family class applicants to apply in Canada [R205(a) – A74]Checked
Post-graduation work permits [R205(c) – C43]CheckedChecked
Post-secondary co-op [R205(c) – code C32] and secondary co-op [R205(c) – code C33]CheckedCheckedChecked
Occupation-restricted open work permit under Home Child Care Provider Pilot or Home Support Worker Pilot – Gaining experience category [R205(a) – C90] [principal applicant: R205(a) – code C90]
[family members: R205(a) – code C91]
CheckedChecked
Quebec Selection Certificate (CSQ) holders currently outside Quebec [R205(a) – A76]
Yeah, "should", I know.
Yeah, that new

Heather Lee

Star Member
Jan 16, 2023
The AINP-AOS is a job offer stream, not like AINP-Express Entry that doesn’t require job offer. The whole point of having a job offer from your employer is that your employer has a worker and you get PR with having the job offer and working for that employer. If you leave the employer anytime during the process, you must notify AINP who will give you time to get a new job offer and employer willing to support your application and nomination. Or your employer, who is part of your process, can notify AINP to cancel application if no longer there. Your employer may or may not be interviewed/contacted during the process to verify job offer and eligibility.

What type of open work permit are you on to be eligible for AOS?
Like I said many times I'm on a closed WP and it's not about to expire. I wouldn't be trying to get an OWP if I had one. That's the whole point of it.
So will anything happen to my OWP( which I'm planning to get under this new temporary policy and you don't understand it) when I quit this job while my PNP is being processed?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Like I said many times I'm on a closed WP and it's not about to expire. I wouldn't be trying to get an OWP if I had one. That's the whole point of it.
So will anything happen to my OWP( which I'm planning to get under this new temporary policy and you don't understand it) when I quit this job while my PNP is being processed?
If you quit, then you notify AINP and you will need a new job offer with an eligible employer willing to support your application. Your application may be cancelled if you do not do so.

You are on a closed work permit so the province has to provide you with a provincial support letter for an open work permit. I don’t think the province will give it to you since your closed work permit is not expiring and is employer specific but you will have to wait for provincial guidelines. The whole point of this new procedure is that PR processing takes a long time and allows for those with expired work permits and those that will expire during the PR process to continue working.

I used to work for a provincial nomination program so don’t say I don’t understand IRCC procedures. You have to wait for provincial instructions and requirements.

Heather Lee

Star Member
Jan 16, 2023
If you quit, then you notify AINP and you will need a new job offer with an eligible employer willing to support your application. Your application may be cancelled if you do not do so.

You are on a closed work permit so the province has to provide you with a provincial support letter for an open work permit. I don’t think the province will give it to you since your closed work permit is not expiring and is employer specific but you will have to wait for provincial guidelines. The whole point of this new procedure is that PR processing takes a long time and allows for those with expired work permits and those that will expire during the PR process to continue working.

I used to work for a provincial nomination program so don’t say I don’t understand IRCC procedures. You have to wait for provincial instructions and requirements.
Ok thanks.
So again:
Assuming the province will give me the support letter and I'll get the OWP. Than I quit this job, I notify AINP. Will anything happen to my open work permit?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Ok thanks.
So again:
Assuming the province will give me the support letter and I'll get the OWP. Than I quit this job, I notify AINP. Will anything happen to my open work permit?
You need a new employer willing and eligible for AOS. Again until provinces outline the process, no one one knows. This new procedure from the feds is just gaslighting people into thinking everyone will be able to change closed work permits to open work permits.

Heather Lee

Star Member
Jan 16, 2023
You need a new employer willing and eligible for AOS. Again until provinces outline the process, no one one knows. This new procedure from the feds is just gaslighting people into thinking everyone will be able to change closed work permits to open work permits.
You don't understand the question.
I'm not asking about employers eligibility for AOS.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
You don't understand the question.
I'm not asking about employers eligibility for AOS.
Doesn’t matter if you are not asking about it. You cannot change employers during the PR process as AOS is an employer-driven stream. If you want to quit the job that you applied for through AOS, then you need to notify AINP who will give you a time to find a new eligible employer with a new job offer. You still need to meet AOS requirements too. So employer being eligible is an issue. Your AINP application and PR application may be cancelled if you and your employer don’t meet requirements. As for having an OWP, again the provinces have not outlined how they will issue support letters, if people can move from a closed to open work permit, and the length of permits. Having an OWP will give you a chance to work but AINP/PR may be cancelled if you (and employer) are no longer eligible for AOS.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ok thanks.
So again:
IMO there isn't a clear answer to this at this time since the process is so new. My two cents is that your OWP will be safe provided your new employer is willing to support your nomination and meets the AOS requirements (and is accepted by the province) - and provided your AINP application continues to be processed.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The other caveat I'll say is that you ideally want to stay away from anything that IRCC may later view as misrepresentation. If you apply for the nomination with the support of your current employer, then immediately apply for the OWP, then switch employers once the OWP is approved, I might be worried about how IRCC will view this. Honestly hard to say.

Reactions: Naturgrl

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
The other caveat I'll say is that you ideally want to stay away from anything that IRCC may later view as misrepresentation. If you apply for the nomination with the support of your current employer, then immediately apply for the OWP, then switch employers once the OWP is approved, I might be worried about how IRCC will view this. Honestly hard to say.
The biggest question is how support letters will be issued, to whom and the length. I cannot imagine that provinces will issue support letters to those who aren’t going to be nominated. Also OP has a closed work permit that is not expiring so would Alberta give a support letter for an open work permit for AOS that requires a job offer. Currently, OP cannot change jobs and really must apply for AOS with the current employer specified on closed work permit. So there is not need for an OWP from the province’s viewpoint.

Again, all you can do is wait on the province’s procedures and guidelines for support letters.

Heather Lee

Star Member
Jan 16, 2023
IMO there isn't a clear answer to this at this time since the process is so new. My two cents is that your OWP will be safe provided your new employer is willing to support your nomination and meets the AOS requirements (and is accepted by the province) - and provided your AINP application continues to be processed.
Thank you.
Okay please forget about AINP/AOS for a minute and focus on my OWP only.
I need to know if nothing will happen to my OWP assuming that I'll get it and quit this current job while my AOS application us being processed.
I don't want to know anything else in this question.

Heather Lee

Star Member
Jan 16, 2023
Well