+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

After one year of nothing , now its moving! Should I come back for this?

schweppes87

Dec 27, 2016
I’m in a similar situation - had to leave Canada for a 1-2 year long stint in Switzerland right after I sent my file through in June 2021. Got my AOR in September, BG cleared/test invitation sent out in Feb’22 and test marked ‘completed’ in Mar’22. I’d like to believe that instances of interviews or applications being ‘suspended’ until one’s back in Canada aren’t the norm. In any case, since you’re legally employed abroad, presumably for a fixed term with a return to Canada planned a year down the line, I see little point in flying into Canada to take the test, only to rush back to Australia thereafter. Things would be different if you were ‘traveling‘ for leisure - but in this case, I’d just be transparent with IRCC and walk them through the situation over an interview, if at all. Cheers

Reactions: cooldoc80

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017
I’m in a similar situation - had to leave Canada for a 1-2 year long stint in Switzerland right after I sent my file through in June 2021. Got my AOR in September, BG cleared/test invitation sent out in Feb’22 and test marked ‘completed’ in Mar’22. I’d like to believe that instances of interviews or applications being ‘suspended’ until one’s back in Canada aren’t the norm. In any case, since you’re legally employed abroad, presumably for a fixed term with a return to Canada planned a year down the line, I see little point in flying into Canada to take the test, only to rush back to Australia thereafter. Things would be different if you were ‘traveling‘ for leisure - but in this case, I’d just be transparent with IRCC and walk them through the situation over an interview, if at all. Cheers
See my signature.

cooldoc80

Nov 1, 2010
NOC Code......
Passport Req..
No PPR yet , just Passport Biopage request
LANDED..........
I'm Dreaming of July/2015
A number of people have taken the test outside Canada. There are no right or wrong answers to your question. It depends on what you are after.

If you take the test from Australia and your application moves slowly, you might get enough time to complete your stint in Australia and be back in Canada for your Oath or if you spend enough time in Australia, you may decide that that is where you want to stay and forget about your Canadian citizenship. Or as a few people have reported, take the Oath from outside Canada.

Coming back to Canada just to take the test, IMHO, is wasteful, since you can take the test outside and are in any case planning to be in Australia for a year.
Thanks for your Input