File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello, not really sure if this is the correct place to ask, especially for this topic but I went online to the university I want to attend in a few years, it's in Toronto, however couldn't find what I was looking for in terms of information for international students!

My question is that, how on earth do people afford to study in Canada if they're not exactly 'well off' or rich, I'm 21 years old attending college right now trying to get grades that would help me get into uni, i'm working right now trying to gather funds to pay, but 20$ per semester is crazy! I'm extremely motivated and want to go thats why I am working so hard..

I couldn't find any scholarships that would apply to me, does anyone know how to study in canada without having to be super rich? My mum doesn't work, and im trying to support her too.. but it's her own choice i want to live my own life, in canada.

I did overstay accidentally for 4 months.. but, i wont be returning for at least 2.5 years and was never issued any leaving order, will this effect me too?
Typically they either come from well off families or take out student loans in their home countries.

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
My course in college is 1 year, if i took a different course would that still count? I mean by doing 2 years at college, different courses? or would it need to be the same course for 2 years? I don't know ! I just really love Toronto..
Yes you could do 2 1 year courses, but why put yourself through that hassle. Pick a 2 year course and make life a lot easier. Have you ever been to Toronto? If you are worried about money just now, Toronto will be far too expensive for you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Honestly don't think a degree in early childhood education is worth all the money you will pay. I would continue studying in the UK and apply for IEC.

hellothereme

Mar 24, 2018
Honestly don't think a degree in early childhood education is worth all the money you will pay. I would continue studying in the UK and apply for IEC.
I chose that because I'd like to become an elementary teacher, do you have any suggestions to a degree which would be better in the long run? I'm genuinely curious if there is better out there?

hellothereme

Mar 24, 2018
Yes you could do 2 1 year courses, but why put yourself through that hassle. Pick a 2 year course and make life a lot easier. Have you ever been to Toronto? If you are worried about money just now, Toronto will be far too expensive for you.
Yeah I suppose but I've already enrolled, It's too late to change! A HNC is usually a 1 year course, so I'll do another HNC next year, maybe something similar like social science or psychology, maybe business, not sure.. Something that will give me a good change of getting into uni. I know.. Yes I've been to Toronto, Montreal etc I just prefer Toronto!

hellothereme

Mar 24, 2018
Typically they either come from well off families or take out student loans in their home countries.
I would maybe have to take a loan then, which I already am doing now.. I'll be in 20k debt like most other students but.. Honestly to me it's worth I'd rather pay it back slowly in Canada than slowly in the UK

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
Yeah I suppose but I've already enrolled, It's too late to change! A HNC is usually a 1 year course, so I'll do another HNC next year, maybe something similar like social science or psychology, maybe business, not sure.. Something that will give me a good change of getting into uni. I know.. Yes I've been to Toronto, Montreal etc I just prefer Toronto!
You can't do two similar HNC's. The CIC will reject you as it is not a progression. You can change, never too late. Just my advice, get a 2 year course as you may run into difficulties getting visa if you pick two one year courses that are similar.

hellothereme

Mar 24, 2018
You can't do two similar HNC's. The CIC will reject you as it is not a progression. You can change, never too late. Just my advice, get a 2 year course as you may run into difficulties getting visa if you pick two one year courses that are similar.
I really had no idea they would reject me for taking a different course each year :( I might be able to progress with this course to HND, then i'd have a diploma instead of a certificate.. I'll need to look into it! Thanks for the heads up tho!

hellothereme

Mar 24, 2018
The course(s) you take have to be seen as a progression in your career.
Alright so i suppose then doing a year of childhood studies at HNC, which is 1 year uni equivalent, then move onto a HND in childhood studies, which is 2 years uni equivalent would be better than just the one year of HNC of childhood studies, then moving onto something different.. for the course I want to take it Reyerson it states to get into the second year -- "All applicants must have completed three lower level one-term (or equivalent) liberal studies courses at the university level with minimum B- (70%) grades" WHAT IS THIS? You may not know.. but worth a shot in asking..

Thanks for all your help btw, I realllllly appreciate it!!!

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
In my opinion that would work, as an HND is a progression. Others may comment if they think differently. I don't know what that means in the Reyerson. Just email them and ask them, I'm sure they will be happy to provide you information on it.

Reactions: hellothereme

hellothereme

Mar 24, 2018
In my opinion that would work, as an HND is a progression. Others may comment if they think differently. I don't know what that means in the Reyerson. Just email them and ask them, I'm sure they will be happy to provide you information on it.
Alright thank you! I'll follow from HNC to HND in that same subject, it's a diploma so it should be entry for year 3! I can't seem to find an email but I'll keep looking - thank you :D!

zedekiah08

Apr 24, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-12-2012
Doc's Request.
31-01-2013
AOR Received.
01-02-2013
Med's Request
very soon
Med's Done....
none
VISA ISSUED...
very soon
LANDED..........
in Canada since 2009
Hi,
Im from the Philippines and an agency was advertising to study in Canada with no IELTs and no show money, which started April 28,2018. Can’t find it anywhere online that says that. Anyone here heard of that. Not sure if it is for a specific shool or coursea. Not sure at all. I would appreciate it if someone can help me.