+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Acquital in 498A/304B

noobNik

May 18, 2023
I am on PGWP in Canada right now and I had a false case against my family which was won in 10-11 months back in 2016.
Now I am planning to file for PR and there is a statutory Question of -
Has ****** ever committed, been arrested for, been charged with or convicted of any criminal offence in any country?:
So yes I was in the chargesheet but so did 10 more people.
two step questions -
1) If I say No, I am falsely misrepresenting it?
2) Since at the time of study visa it was done by agent they mentioned only active cases/convictions need to be disclosed, they didnt mention this on the study visa application. If I mention it now would there be any implications to my PGWP as well?

Thanks in Advance.

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
I am on PGWP in Canada right now and I had a false case against my family which was won in 10-11 months back in 2016.
Has ****** ever committed, been arrested for, been charged with or convicted of any criminal offence in any country?:
two step questions -
2) Since at the time of study visa it was done by agent they mentioned only active cases/convictions need to be disclosed, they didnt mention this on the study visa application. If I mention it now would there be any implications to my PGWP as well?

Thanks in Advance.
You weren't arrested, right?

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
No I was not. They just added the names of family and friends only brother had to face arrest.
Past cases for you:
1. https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/misrepresentation-ban-of-5-years.690190/post-8658953
2. 498A specific: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/past-arrest-history-declaration-statutory-questions-criminal-background-court-acquittal.669591/
3. https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/charged-with-crime-and-found-not-guilty.676297/post-8460120

If I were you, I'd not simply move forward with these past cases. For a few things, there's no point in DIY. You should wait for more senior members to respond here, or ask this to Legalfalcon in his/her/their thread.

Damn, 498A's abuse is a total shit show! Hope you folks are fine now :)

noobNik

May 18, 2023
Past cases for you:
1. https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/misrepresentation-ban-of-5-years.690190/post-8658953
2. 498A specific: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/past-arrest-history-declaration-statutory-questions-criminal-background-court-acquittal.669591/
3. https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/charged-with-crime-and-found-not-guilty.676297/post-8460120

If I were you, I'd not simply move forward with these past cases. For a few things, there's no point in DIY. You should wait for more senior members to respond here, or ask this to Legalfalcon in his/her/their thread.

Damn, 498A's abuse is a total shit show! Hope you folks are fine now :)
Thanks a lot.
I will wait for senior members to respond.

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
two step questions -

Thanks in Advance.

Whether the case was false or not, is for the courts to decide.

If your name was in the chargesheet, the answer to the question, if you have been charged, is yes.

First of all, there is no person as an "agent" qualified to represent any individual under Canadian immigration law. Under Canadian law, only lawyers licensed with the Provincial Law Societies or consultants licensed with CICC can represent individuals in immigration applications.

What your unlicensed agent told you was incorrect and completely false.

See the following cases:

Sehgal v Canada (Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness), 2021 CanLII 149251 (CA IRB), <https://canlii.ca/t/jpbx6>

Bundhel v. Canada (Citizenship and Immigration), 2014 FC 1147 (CanLII), <https://canlii.ca/t/gfjxd> This case is very similar to what you are facing.

[4] The Officer provided Mr. Bundhel with an opportunity to explain the discrepancy. The excuse he offered was that his answer was merely a “clerical mistake”; because he was ultimately acquitted of the criminal charges, he did not believe the details needed to be mentioned.

[5] The Officer was not satisfied with Mr. Bundhel’s explanation and found that a misrepresentation had occurred. Her reasons were stated as follows:
I have considered this response in the spirit of the way we have phrased our question on the application form. Clearly, we wish to know about prior arrests and charges even if they do not eventually result in conviction or we would not ask the question. By concealing his prior arrest and conviction even if it did end in acquittal the applicant could have induced an error in the administration of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. Specifically: the applicant is applying for a work permit and temporary resident visa to visit Canada. By not providing truthful information regarding his background the officer would not have had the information necessary to determine whether or not he would fall into A36(1)(c) having committed an offence outside of Canada causing arrest and charged with an offence which would equate to Section 221 of the Criminal Code of Canada. I do not accept that this was a clerical error as the way the question is worded makes it abundantly clear we are concerned with charges and arrests as well as convictions. Applicant has failed in his requirement to answer all questions truthfully as per A16(1). As such the applicant is inadmissible under A40(1) of the IRPA. Refused on bonafides and for misrepresentation.

This is why going to agents and or unlicensed consultants, or even unexperienced licensed consultants can cost you your legal status in Canada.

This does not mean that all roads are closed. You should contact a lawyer and they can evaluate your application, and documents and draft appropriate paperwork to address the issue.

Also, stating that your agent did something will not absolve you. Having an unscrupulous consultant is not a defence to misrepresentation. The federal court in Haque v Canada (Minister of Citizenship and Immigration) 2011 FC 315, held that the fact that an immigration consultant was to blame for the misrepresentation was no defence.

The applicants cannot avail themselves of the exception for an innocent mistake.

All the best.

[My response does not constitute legal advice and neither does it give rise to any lawyer-client relationship.]

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
two step questions -

Thanks in Advance.
1. YES, you would be doing a misrep.
2. Agent lied to you. Plain and simple. If you mention it now, your past applications may be reviewed. How will IRCC beaurocrats will respond to that is hard to predict. BUT, by law, AFAIK, you will not be immediately removed. They *may* find you inadmissible mainly due to misrep. And then they can start removal proceedings.

Engage a reputed Canadian immigration lawyer, don't waste your time and money or take un-necessary risk and mental tension. Criminal inadmissibility is hard enough and misrep combined makes it harder.

Last edited:

Raptor33

May 10, 2020
two step questions -

Thanks in Advance.
The answer to your first question is yes, if you say no to the question, you would be falsely misrepresenting it. The question is asking you if you have ever been charged with or convicted of any criminal offence, regardless of whether the charges were ultimately dismissed or you were found not guilty.
The answer to your second question is that it is difficult to say for sure without knowing more about the specific circumstances of your case. However, it is possible that if you disclose the false case against you, it could have implications for your PGWP. For example, IRCC could decide to revoke your PGWP if they believe that you were not truthful in your application.
If you are concerned about the implications of disclosing the false case against you, you should consult with an immigration lawyer. They will be able to advise you on the best course of action in your specific situation.
Here are some additional things to keep in mind:
  • You should always be honest in your immigration applications. Lying or misrepresenting your circumstances could result in your application being refused or your PR being revoked.
  • If you have been charged with or convicted of a crime, you should disclose this information to IRCC. Even if the charges were ultimately dismissed or you were found not guilty, IRCC may still consider this information when making a decision on your application.
  • If you are unsure about whether or not you should disclose something in your immigration application, you should consult with an immigration lawyer. They will be able to advise you on the best course of action in your specific situation.