+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

A step closer to self administered oath: Online Oath Ceremony without an authorised individual 30 day Consultation

Americanwife94

Star Member
Jun 5, 2016
Indeed. I’m in no rush to travel. My industry is pretty much down and not operational as one department union is on strike. I’ll probably be back to work in September. So I’m putting around at home, resting, and getting ready for when we go back to work which will be crazy. I might go on vacation at Christmas time.
Same story here. I’m on Maternity leave until September, so I’m ready to enjoy the summer and get my oath when it comes. I hope those that need faster processing are able to take a click oath soon!

Reactions: rushi.gada

rushi.gada

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2019
For most people including myself, it's about getting that passport in hand. If given a choice between waiting months for showing off feeling proud vs clicking on a checkbox to get it done within a few days, I would definitely choose the latter. Not that I prefer that, but with the inefficiency and unnecessary delays, that's the choice I would personally make.
100% !! I feel the same way

benali

Star Member
Sep 18, 2018
For most people including myself, it's about getting that passport in hand. If given a choice between waiting months for showing off feeling proud vs clicking on a checkbox to get it done within a few days, I would definitely choose the latter. Not that I prefer that, but with the inefficiency and unnecessary delays, that's the choice I would personally make.
Totally agree same for me

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6865181 A new article about it. If approved, the changes to the citizenship regulations would come into effect as early as this month at a cost of about $5 million over 10 years.
The only thing that is "new" in this article is the publishing of it itself. I rely on CBC news a lot, but must say that Laura Osman's article "'Travesty' or 'forward thinking'? Hundreds weigh in on one-click citizenship oath," published just yesterday, June 4, is little more, very little more, than stringing together comments publicly published more than THREE MONTHS ago. And referenced here MONTHS ago.

For clarification, the news article offers ZERO news not already well known and widely disseminated, nearly all of which has been discussed in this particular thread over the course of the previous three plus months.

For example, the notice in February which is the source for the observation that (if approved) the revised regulations will come into effect this month (June 2023), has been referenced and linked multiple times, including not quite two weeks ago by me:
The official notice of proposed regulation, published in February in the Gazette Part I, Volume 157, Number 8 (copy published here: https://canadagazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p1/2023/2023-02-25/html/reg1-eng.html ) specifically indicates that the proposed regulation is expected to come into force in June 2023.
All the commentary about the regulations discussed in the article are also there in that notice published in February (and referenced and linked here multiple times since). And otherwise the article offers just a few, very general observations about the revised regulations, almost all likewise taken from the February notice itself, along with an occasional even more general observation, already widely known among those who care, like the observation that in the latter part of 2022, "the vast majority" taking the oath of citizenship were done "over videoconference." Yeah. Who knew eh? Well, just about everybody interested knew.

What is disconcerting and disappointing is that this article elevates commentary that is rooted in ignorance (no, what is proposed is not equivalent to "ordering a new pair of underwear from Amazon") or just plain nonsensical (such as the comment about facilitating access to taking the oath among those "in the indigenous" communities, that is among those who are natural born citizens who do not take the oath of citizenship).

Meanwhile, for those who are anxiously awaiting further changes which will accelerate the timeline to taking the oath, or are at least intended to do that, REMEMBER, what is expected to take effect this month are the revised regulations . . . it will likely take a significant period of time beyond this for the government, under the Minister, to make the actual changes in practice and procedure. All the regulations taking effect means is that the Minister will then have the authority to proceed to develop and implement new practices and procedures. And it is a bureaucracy we are talking about. The Minister probably needs the change in regulations just to spend money developing revisions to actual practices and procedures. So, in terms of actual changes in how things are done, the new regulations taking effect will not work like flipping on a light switch.

Meanwhile it otherwise appears that IRCC and Citizenship in particular have been making progress speeding up the overall process . . . albeit some serious lagging still in regards to the backlog.

vipinait

Star Member
Aug 16, 2016
No rule published in today's Part II Gazette notification. Next publication is in 2 weeks
What more can we anticipate from the government processes? I really hope that this self-administered oath will be put into action as soon as possible, but I know it will likely take several weeks if not months to be implemented.

benali

Star Member
Sep 18, 2018
What more can we anticipate from the government processes? I really hope that this self-administered oath will be put into action as soon as possible, but I know it will likely take several weeks if not months to be implemented.
How they said it will come to force in June?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
How they said it will come to force in June?
The revised regulations are expected to take effect (come into force) in June. In particular, the official notice of proposed regulation, published in February in the Gazette Part I, Volume 157, Number 8 (copy published here: https://canadagazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p1/2023/2023-02-25/html/reg1-eng.html ) specifically indicates that the proposed regulation is expected to come into force in June 2023.

(There could be delays, beyond this month; but for now this remains what is "expected.")

That's just the regulation that will authorize the Minister to adopt and implement the actual changes to the procedures themselves.

So, the fact the regulation comes into force does not mean actual changes based on the revised regulations will be implemented immediately.

I cannot guess how much time it will take to implement changes. That will depend, in part, on what changes are made. It is my guess that in the short term the changes will be more internal, allowing IRCC to administer the oath procedure more efficiently from their side, so hopefully accelerating the timeline.

Since the government has limited authority to spend money to develop changes without specific authorization in the law, if major changes are involved it is very likely to take a significant amount of time. This is because the regulation must come into force first before the Minister can spend the money to develop and implement changes.

Note: whether or not there will be changes that allow applicants to take the oath while outside Canada is still NOT known.

marygbrasil

Star Member
Mar 1, 2023
100% !! I feel the same way
That makes total sense because of how long the process is and how often there are delays and issues but in general, it’s more about just the process, right? I did an in person ceremony and it definitely gave me some sort of feeling of accomplishment and of being a part of something new…

Reactions: rushi.gada