+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will I be able to travel back to Canada?

Jul 27, 2023
Hi, I just received my CoPR but I had to travel to the U.S. right before receiving it. I need to travel back to Canada soon and I have been researching to come up with a plan. I have a couple of questions in bold, please let me know if you have the answer to those questions

1. I want to apply for the PRTD ASAP but that tab is still greyed out in my PR portal. I'm guessing maybe it's because the PR card hasn't been mailed out yet (I received my CoPR this morning). But does any one know if there's anything I should do here? If I can apply for it right now there's a decent chance I'll get my PRTD before I scheduled flight date.
  2. Since I have already booked my flight ticket, I will still try to board the plane with or without the PRTD as I have nothing to lose. But my question is: If the airline allows me to board, will the border agent allow me to enter the country when I land in Canada if I only have my (non-visa exempt) passport + eCoPR?
I am aware that I can cross the border by land by non-commercial transportation.

1. I can't drive, so my second option is to get a rideshare from one of these apps (e.g. poparide) to cross the border and leave me at my destination. Question: Does using rideshare count as commercial transportation?
  2. My final option, if the above isn't possible, is to just get a taxi or something to drive me to the border, walk across and figure it out from there, idk. This should be possible right?
Is there anything else I should consider?

Thanks

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, I just received my CoPR but I had to travel to the U.S. right before receiving it. I need to travel back to Canada soon and I have been researching to come up with a plan. I have a couple of questions in bold, please let me know if you have the answer to those questions

1. I want to apply for the PRTD ASAP but that tab is still greyed out in my PR portal. I'm guessing maybe it's because the PR card hasn't been mailed out yet (I received my CoPR this morning). But does any one know if there's anything I should do here? If I can apply for it right now there's a decent chance I'll get my PRTD before I scheduled flight date.
  2. Since I have already booked my flight ticket, I will still try to board the plane with or without the PRTD as I have nothing to lose. But my question is: If the airline allows me to board, will the border agent allow me to enter the country when I land in Canada if I only have my (non-visa exempt) passport + eCoPR?
I am aware that I can cross the border by land by non-commercial transportation.

1. I can't drive, so my second option is to get a rideshare from one of these apps (e.g. poparide) to cross the border and leave me at my destination. Question: Does using rideshare count as commercial transportation?
  2. My final option, if the above isn't possible, is to just get a taxi or something to drive me to the border, walk across and figure it out from there, idk. This should be possible right?

Thanks
So, have you actually landed (virtually) and are now a PR of Canada? If you have NOT, that could explain why the PRTD tab is greyed out; you do not need to have received your PR Card to be eligible for a PRTD, so long as you are (now) a PR.

Since you hold a non-visa exempt passport, you may need an eTA if you attempt to fly without either a PR card or PRTD (not exactly sure, though):
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/eta.html

Regarding the second #2 question, yes. You can take a taxi to the land PoE and enter Canada on foot, BUT...make sure that the crossing you want to use allows foot traffic.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Thanks
If using a ride share you would likely have to have them drop you off at the border, walk across the border on foot and then order another ride share on the other side of the border.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Thanks
Why don't you go to USA first and then return to Canada by flight using your COPR (assume you haven't use it for landing)?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Why don't you go to USA first and then return to Canada by flight using your COPR (assume you haven't use it for landing)?
True but warning - if it was the eCOPR issued to those in-Canada under the virtual landing procedure, it is like a COPR that has already been used for landing - it can't be used a second time.

Jul 27, 2023
So, have you actually landed (virtually) and are now a PR of Canada? If you have NOT, that could explain why the PRTD tab is greyed out; you do not need to have received your PR Card to be eligible for a PRTD, so long as you are (now) a PR.
Yup, my timeline was like this: Received port email #2 to confirm I'm in Canada and upload picture. I did that then had to travel urgently to the USA 2 days later (my situation is very complicated). Then received eCOPR 3 days later while in the US where I am currently. The eCOPR has a huge "NOT VALID FOR TRAVEL" text in the background. But also the the email that told me that I got the eCoPR said "Congratulations you're now a Permanent Resident" and that I should wait for my PR card

I don't think I'm eligible for an eTA but I'll still try to fly because I can use either my work permit or my TRV to fly back. I'm just hoping they're not cancelled yet in the system that airlines use. But my worry is when I land, would I be able to clear customs?

BUT...make sure that the crossing you want to use allows foot traffic.
Had no idea, thanks! What about rideshare?

Jul 27, 2023
Can you elaborate more? I'm in the USA right now. I was here when I received my eCoPR but the document has a huge "NOT VALID FOR TRAVEL" text. Pretty sure the only I can fly back is if the systems haven't cancelled my visa and work permit.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Can you elaborate more? I'm in the USA right now. I was here when I received my eCoPR but the document has a huge "NOT VALID FOR TRAVEL" text. Pretty sure the only I can fly back is if the systems haven't cancelled my visa and work permit.
The real question (at least for me) is whether or not the you are actually a PR now, since the whole CoPR thing has changed due, in part, to Covid-19. Now, people with an eCoPR land virtually which I why I asked if you are already a PR.

I have seen at least a couple of posts where a person tried to return to Canada, after receiving their eCoPR and discovered that their visa and/or WP had been cancelled...because a PR no longer quilifies for, or needs, either. No idea how long it takes for IRCC to `flip the switch', disabling those previous documents.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Are you a US citizen? If so, use that pssport to board plane, and COPR at port of entry. Otherwsie:

You are already a PR and cannot use the COPR as suggested. You can use it now to show you a PR - but it will not serve to get on a plane. If you are let on the plane, yes, you are in Canada at a port of entry and you won't be denied entry. But again - they almost certainly won't let you on the plane, unless you're travelling on a US passport.

You can cross at a land border (ie.. by private vehicle or on foot). Fly to closest border airport in USA and cross there.

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yup, my timeline was like this: Received port email #2 to confirm I'm in Canada and upload picture. I did that then had to travel urgently to the USA 2 days later (my situation is very complicated). Then received eCOPR 3 days later while in the US where I am currently. The eCOPR has a huge "NOT VALID FOR TRAVEL" text in the background. But also the the email that told me that I got the eCoPR said "Congratulations you're now a Permanent Resident" and that I should wait for my PR card

I don't think I'm eligible for an eTA but I'll still try to fly because I can use either my work permit or my TRV to fly back. I'm just hoping they're not cancelled yet in the system that airlines use. But my worry is when I land, would I be able to clear customs?

Most rideshares will not cross the border. Most don’t work with a passport on them, most aren’t insured to transport someone to another country, it could take a long time so would not make sense for them, etc.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

When you get PR all other permits and visas should be cancelled. There have been some examples where people have gotten lucky and the visas haven’t been cancelled yet but that would be taking a huge chance. Most get cancelled electronically right after PR is issued. Are you a US citizen or green card holder? The would give you more options

Jul 27, 2023
Thanks for all the answers. Unfortunately I'm not a US citizen, not even from a visa-exempt country so will probably just fly to Buffalo or Detroit and cross the border by land there.

Jul 27, 2023
UPDATE:

I was actually able to fly straight to Canada.Here's some more detail, if you have any questions, fire away

I had a return flight booked to Buffalo, where I was gonna take a bus. From everything I read online, I shouldn't have been able to board a commercial bus from within the U.S. to take me to Canada but I called Greyhound and they said I only need my passport to board the bus.

I then went and re-read the note on CIC's website and it says: "If you try to return to Canada without a PR card or PRTD, you may not be able to take your flight, train, bus or boat to Canada."That made me realize that there's actually no risk. That wording makes it seem like there's no actual strict rule set in stone and there can be some leeway depending on the airline/bus company you're using.The day of my flight, I spoke with a United Airlines rep (they were working with Air Canada) and they told me that I had all the documents I needed to board the plane (passport + valid TRV) and also my eCOPR to go through border at the airport. So she just changed my flight to a direct one to Toronto through Air Canada.

Now, I specifically told the United Airlines rep specifically that I booked the flight to Buffalo because I was worried IRCC was gonna cancel my TRV after I became PR and not be able to board the plane. She just said to not assume, to just call the airline and ask them if you're good.

NOTE: A month ago I travelling back from the U.S. to Canada without a TRV (I had my work permit). They had to call immigration though and do a manual override so there's a chance this still applies to PRs. There's a chance this is how I was able to board the flight.

Also i'm 99% sure what I did works if you travelled ONLY to the U.S. and straight back to Canada

When I arrived in Canada there was a little confusion since it seemed they didn't know the difference between eCOPR and COPR. But once they figured that out I was let through. Seems the confusion came from the fact that I told them "I just became a PR" instead of "I'm a PR". It actually doesn't seem like I even needed to print the eCOPR document.

arsh.singh18

Aug 24, 2022
I have a similar kind of situation but I want to know what I am thinking of doing is actually right or not.
So, I got my eCOPR on 16 Jan, 2024 and now, I am waiting for my PR card which I don't know when I will get it.
I have to travel to India and I have a flight from Chicago to India and vice-versa. So, give and take, I have approximately one more month to wait for my PR card. I have already booked the tickets, took the vacation from work and I have no other option.
I have my USA visa and I am travelling by road from my city in Canada to Chicago to take my flight. So, on the way they will only check my USA visa and will let me go and then, I will board my flight to India from Chicago using my Indian passport. Now questions:
1.) When I will come back from India to Chicago, what will they check? If they will just check the USA visa, then I will not have to show my PR card which in reality I dont actually have. Apart from USA visa stamp will they check or ask something else?
2.) If I manage to travel back to Chicago just on the basis of my USA visa, then when I will land in United States, the only thing I have to do is to travel back to Canada in a non-commercial vehicle. So, my friend will come in car to USA to pick me up and then, when we will reach the Canadian border, I will show them my eCopr, my passport, plus I also have TRV stamp on my passport which I would imagine is already null and void and my driver's license.

This is what I am planning to do if I did not receive my PR card before 23rd March. Any comments or suggestions are highly appreciated!