+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor visa for spouse under the new rule

Rimka13

Star Member
Jan 31, 2019
Hello everyone,

I'm getting married soon so i would like to sponsor her to bring her to canada, however i saw the process takes 16 months.

I saw that there is a new measure to reunite spouses where the processing time is under 30 days.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2023/05/canada-is-reuniting-loved-ones-through-new-immigration-measures-new-measures-also-address-labour-shortages-in-canada.html

Has anyone of you done it?

If this new measure is applied now, Is it better to sponsor my future spouse inside or outside canada?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone,

I'm getting married soon so i would like to sponsor her to bring her to canada, however i saw the process takes 16 months.

I saw that there is a new measure to reunite spouses where the processing time is under 30 days.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2023/05/canada-is-reuniting-loved-ones-through-new-immigration-measures-new-measures-also-address-labour-shortages-in-canada.html

Has anyone of you done it?

If this new measure is applied now, Is it better to sponsor my future spouse inside or outside canada?
Yes, there are people in the Family Sponsorship section of the forum that have done this. You have to submit the application to sponsor your spouse for PR first and then wait until you have AOR (which takes a couple of months). Then you can apply for the TRV and try to benefit from this new announcement.

So the first step is to submit the application to sponsor your spouse for PR once you are married. Note that if you are a PR, you must be in Canada to submit the application.

Reactions: Rhny

hasti815

Jan 16, 2020
Yes, there are people in the Family Sponsorship section of the forum that have done this. You have to submit the application to sponsor your spouse for PR first and then wait until you have AOR (which takes a couple of months). Then you can apply for the TRV and try to benefit from this new announcement.
Hi there. We have applied for Family Sponsorship from inside Canada. Do you know if this policy only applies to Family Sponsorship from outside Canada or all Family Class applications?

Second question, if visitor visa is submitted before PR application, can it be moved to the priority list after AOR, by submitting a webform maybe?

And lastly, are these prioritized applications being processed in a different visa office and not their default visa office?